Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

All Time Power Rankings

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,070
    edited October 2013

Oh, and on methodology, fuck WWII. The line of demarcation should be when the game was integrated.

DO you really want me to give a shit what a program was doing before that segment of the population, which some say added a little athleticism to the game (I know right?), were allowed to play? Give me a fucking break. Next you'll be asking to discuss some ass kicking Washington gave UPS back in 1934. I don't fucking care and neither does anyone else outside of doogdom.

The game was integrated on the coast and the Big 14 in the 30s. Jesse Owen played football at UCLA. The Big 14 took a lot of guysthe sec plays today. Integrated but there were quotas

Oh, and on methodology, fuck WWII. The line of demarcation should be when the game was integrated.

DO you really want me to give a shit what a program was doing before that segment of the population, which some say added a little athleticism to the game (I know right?), were allowed to play? Give me a fucking break. Next you'll be asking to discuss some ass kicking Washington gave UPS back in 1934. I don't fucking care and neither does anyone else outside of doogdom.

The game was integrated on the coast and the Big 14 in the 30s. Jesse Owen played football at UCLA. The Big 14 took a lot of guysthe sec plays today. Integrated but there were quotas
    wasn't Alabama playing with all-white teams until SC went down there and kicked their asses with Sam Cunningham as late as 1970?!?!?!?!

sure, Bama was nortoriously late to the party, but I'm guessing we can't say real integration took place on a national scale for some time after WWII. Even though it wasn't fully integrated by 1970, with one of the game's iconic programs still playing 100% honkey, I'd randomly draw the line at 1960. Seems like cfb in the 50s and before was almost a different game, and the people on the rosters I think had a lot to do with that. It wasn't until the 60s that programs were reaching out for players who might not otherwise have been on campus. That, to me, is when the modern game we know today began.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

DP206 is a good friend of mine.

His other power rankings (based on NC, major bowl wins, conference titles) have us 16th though I think we should be 14th. He gives Tennessee and Georgia a bump bc of the SEC.

These rankings I think are based on SRS ratings which he swears by. He constantly points out that SRS shows the 2009-2012 teams were no better than 2006-2007 teams.

The SRS ratings rate the UW 1991 team as the 2nd best team of all-time.

which team is best all time?
    Nebraska 1995.
    Miami 2001 plunger rapes Nebraska 1995 8 out of 10 times.

That Hurricane team had 17 future NFL first round draft picks on the roster!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team#NFL_Draft_selections
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Maybe but the 95 Nebraska team blew everyone out. They have the best on-field accomplishments. The 2001 Miami struggled on the road. Only beat VaTech by 2, BC by 11 and Pitt by 22. They certainly were the most talented team ever. No question.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Nebraska only beat WSU 35-21 in Lincoln, so your argument is invalid.

Running up the score on #fuckingdreckfest doesn't impress me, even when one of the #fuckingdreckfest is a Nick Saban MSU team. Kansas tied for second in the Big 8 that year, that's how soft their schedule was.
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866

Beat Fucking Oregon, Nothing Else Fucking Matters.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

Running up the score on #fuckingdreckfest doesn't impress me, even when one of the #fuckingdreckfest is a Nick Saban MSU team. Kansas tied for second in the Big 8 that year, that's how soft their schedule was.

All-Time Rankings superiority guy
  • I do think the argument is 2001 Miami vs 1995 Nebraska though. I think 2004 USC is in the top 5 as well.

That 2001 Miami team just had too much talent was the thing. So many NFL players and future probowlers/HOF guys.

Looking back UW beating them in 2000 is one of the bigger upsets we've ever had. That UW team was really good but that Miami team was loaded.
    edited October 2013

All-Time Rankings superiority guy
    honestly, I can't say I've done a total run-down of the Big 8 then and the Big East then. I do know that among Pitt, VT and BC, that at least two of them were top 20-ish type teams. I fear (actually I know) that people out west have a milder version of bias against the other coast's teams as they do ours - by bias I mean they're kind of in the dark and have to generalize a lot. I used to struggle with this with Roy constantly. and my recollection is that the Big 8 had a few more good (not great) teams than it did traditionally (traditionally it's beyond arguing that the Big 8 was REALLY top heavy).

i'll just say this - you're right, that Miami team had a tendency to lose focus at times, but when they were focused, they made a joke out of everyone they played. A lot of people out west at that time didn't really appreciate how tough Blacksburg was to play at, and how good Beamer's teams were at home. They had, as I recall, Kevin Jones in the backfield and one or two pretty good receivers, and they were always fast and good on defense back then. Miami opened that game carving through VT like a hot knife through butter, but, as happened at BC, they kind of let VT hang around and then gave up some big plays and before you knew it, it was a real ball game by the time they woke up.

I guess Nebraska 95 didn't have that, but comparing the two teams, I'd give the nod to Miami. I just can't see a Nebraska I back running through or around that Miami defense. Not in a title game. Wilfork, McDougle, Vilma, Williams, Campbell, Joseph ... Crouch may not have been Frazier, but he was a damn good runner and he couldn't do it. On offense, Miami was so balanced and could kill you in the air or on the ground. Running backs, receivers, tightends, awesome O line ... they had it all.

Hard to say, and there's no doubt I am biased in part because I'm a Miami fan, and in part because I grew up watching Miami teams beat, and often decimate, vaunted Nebraska teams.

A lot of Husker faithful will tell you that the most dominant Husker team of all time was the '83 crew with Mike Rosier, Turner Gill, Irving Friar and an offensive line for the ages. That team, of course, lost to Miami led by a QB with a Jewfro and a # 20 on his jersey (which I always thought was against the rules).

I do think the argument is 2001 Miami vs 1995 Nebraska though. I think 2004 USC is in the top 5 as well.

That 2001 Miami team just had too much talent was the thing. So many NFL players and future probowlers/HOF guys.

Looking back UW beating them in 2000 is one of the bigger upsets we've ever had. That UW team was really good but that Miami team was loaded.

I agree. That win in 2000 was almost as big as the whammy. With the 2000 roster you're adding Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss and Dan Morgan. That time period - 2000 to 2002 - maybe best roster ever. Think of the players on the sideline - KWII, Sean Taylor, Willis McGahee (pre-knee) ... list went on and on and on.
  • I do think the argument is 2001 Miami vs 1995 Nebraska though. I think 2004 USC is in the top 5 as well.

I agree. That win in 2000 was almost as big as the whammy. With the 2000 roster you're adding Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss and Dan Morgan. That time period - 2000 to 2002 - maybe best roster ever. Think of the players on the sideline - KWII, Sean Taylor, Willis McGahee (pre-knee) ... list went on and on and on.
    Clinton Portis in that game busted a long TD run off the bench. That crowd won that game. Dorsey was making his first career road start and they spotted UW a 21-3 lead.

Then at the end when they were comfortable and Tui had a bad turnover in his own red zone the game got a little bit uncomfortable.

I do think the argument is 2001 Miami vs 1995 Nebraska though. I think 2004 USC is in the top 5 as well.

Clinton Portis in that game busted a long TD run off the bench. That crowd won that game. Dorsey was making his first career road start and they spotted UW a 21-3 lead.

Then at the end when they were comfortable and Tui had a bad turnover in his own red zone the game got a little bit uncomfortable.
    I was there, and though UW is my alma mater x3, I was torn. I didn't think Washington would make a run, and I knew Miami had horses. On the other hand ...

Let just say that Butch Davis was a better recruiter than he was a game day strategist. He insisted on putting the game in Dorsey's hands too early. Though he hit Wayne for a nice TD pass, he was rattled. The guy I went to the game with said, and I agree with him, that if Davis had leaned on the running game sooner, and put Portis in during the first half, Miami probably wins that game. We had no answer for Portis - he ran through and around us. But by the time he saw the field, it was too late to make a come back on the ground.

The other thing that helped us was that Santana Moss had sprained his ankle the week before and was ineffective. Moss was a big part of their offense that year until Andre Johnson, a true freshman, began to assert himself later that season.