Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Fuller/McGrew

Comments

• Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member Posts: 2,911

Tequila is back!!!!

I like how he tried to disguise it by making multiple posts.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Woof said:

There are no good RBs this year.

Pleasant will be chinteresting, though.

Dotson is a guy who could potentially develop and I say that as a person who has been down on him since day 1.

The adjustments he needs to make in his game are akin to what Coleman needed: hit the hole fast, give effort on every run.

It can be hard to disentangle bad vision, not bursting toward the hole, lack of confidence and being slow.

Obviously Dotson is fast, but it might not come out for another year or so as he learns to hit holes and read blocks.

I suspect he will be passed up by McGrew and Ahmed, but these kids generally develop pretty well and I'm not ruling it out.

I think we're underestimating the loss of Ross on offensive production. Pettis is a great #2, but he can't open up defenses like Ross could. Charlie McClutchins fills that role to some extent, but early in the season we're going see mostly Pettis and a bunch of skinny shifty guys at WR/Slot (Fuller, Bacellia, McGrew). The downside is that all those guys are small and not the most physical at downfield blocking.

Hamdan's latest crop of jihadis should fill the role, but I think we'll see some struggles early on in the season generating a big passing attack. Ty Jones and Alex Cook could be devastating blockers if they have the mindset for it. We should be pounding the rock early in the year to let the WRs grow into their roles, but who knows what will happen.

As far as RB recruiting, TJ Pledger is a beast, but you're right, there is a better chance of you walking again than us? getting him. Chris Brown from Oceanside is the guy I'm hoping to get.

The passing game won't struggle vs the dreck non conference schedule. Ross was great, but I don't think we will really miss him. It's not a slight. I was a huge Ross supporter from his freshman year. The guy was special.

There are too many other options. Not all the true freshmen will be ready to be featured right away, but a couple will.

I want a run heavy offense too because it creates a mindset and is more consistent than passing, but I'm going to assume we will be balanced. We aren't averse to the run, but Petersen has always had a QB centric offense.
    Ross is an all time great UW receiver and will be missed in a big way, new weapons or not. Some of you are off your rockers.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

Tequila is back!!!!

Zebra does not lose its stripes
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Woof said:

There are no good RBs this year.

Pleasant will be chinteresting, though.

Dotson is a guy who could potentially develop and I say that as a person who has been down on him since day 1.

The adjustments he needs to make in his game are akin to what Coleman needed: hit the hole fast, give effort on every run.

It can be hard to disentangle bad vision, not bursting toward the hole, lack of confidence and being slow.

Obviously Dotson is fast, but it might not come out for another year or so as he learns to hit holes and read blocks.

I suspect he will be passed up by McGrew and Ahmed, but these kids generally develop pretty well and I'm not ruling it out.

I think we're underestimating the loss of Ross on offensive production. Pettis is a great #2, but he can't open up defenses like Ross could. Charlie McClutchins fills that role to some extent, but early in the season we're going see mostly Pettis and a bunch of skinny shifty guys at WR/Slot (Fuller, Bacellia, McGrew). The downside is that all those guys are small and not the most physical at downfield blocking.

Hamdan's latest crop of jihadis should fill the role, but I think we'll see some struggles early on in the season generating a big passing attack. Ty Jones and Alex Cook could be devastating blockers if they have the mindset for it. We should be pounding the rock early in the year to let the WRs grow into their roles, but who knows what will happen.

As far as RB recruiting, TJ Pledger is a beast, but you're right, there is a better chance of you walking again than us? getting him. Chris Brown from Oceanside is the guy I'm hoping to get.

The passing game won't struggle vs the dreck non conference schedule. Ross was great, but I don't think we will really miss him. It's not a slight. I was a huge Ross supporter from his freshman year. The guy was special.

There are too many other options. Not all the true freshmen will be ready to be featured right away, but a couple will.

I want a run heavy offense too because it creates a mindset and is more consistent than passing, but I'm going to assume we will be balanced. We aren't averse to the run, but Petersen has always had a QB centric offense.
    Ross is an all time great UW receiver and will be missed in a big way, new weapons or not. Some of you are off your rockers.
    I think both statements are true. He's an all time great receiver and the totality of talent stepping up should help us to not really miss a beat offensively. It's going to look different for sure but adding McGrew plus even two of Bryant, Jones, Lenius, Cook, Bynum and hopefully more development from McLatcher (and maybe Jake?) should go a long way, especially with the stable of RB's. And that's not even mentioning Ahmad.

We have basically everyone back besides Ross, plus plenty of new talent coming in. We should be better.
    Couldn't agree with this more ...

Ross is a unique talent that you don't easily replace ...

But there's A LOT of talent coming in to shoulder the replacement load ... and nobody has to shoulder it by themselves.

To me, what the offense is replacing is similar to the idea that the defense would go backwards losing Kikaha, Shelton, Shaq, and Peters. We may not have necessarily immediately replaced any of them with players that were better but collectively the overall defensive talent got better which made the defense better. I can see similar things for the offense.

Tequila is back!!!!

With some I can't win ... if I respond with specific responses to specific posts but have multiple responses it's viewed that I'm creatively finding a way to make a TL, DR post. If instead I consolidate then it's why didn't I respond to each individually?

Some will find the smallest thing to nitpick.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    Bama loses a Julio Jones and has another lined up. Just like their tailbacks. Life goes on

I grew to love Ross this year and think he is great. I wish we didn't have a noodle arm faggot at QB because he could have put some records out of reach
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I really think people are underselling McGrew, he will have a role as a running back for us. I see third down back this year and get him the ball in space, and then the following year he is sharing carries with Ahmed. He has vision that you cannot teach.

(granted Gaskin could stay, we'll see; I agree it's likely too early to speculate if he will, but yeah. The poont still stands that I think mcgrew is underrated)

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Where the WRs will need to prove themselves without Ross will be in that in 2016 defenses had to be scared enough of Ross and his speed that created a problem either defending the deep pass or slowing the running game. I would expect DCs to make us prove that we can do the same without Ross.

I actually think we can create similar problems without Ross, but it will be largely due to the increased size of some of our WRs versus the speed. Both Ty Jones and Hunter Bryant are significant matchup problems on the outside if left in a position where they will be 1 on 1. I would also expect that at least early in the year most safety shading will likely be to the side of the field where Pettis lines up. Jones and Bryant won't necessarily run by you with their speed, but they can go up and get the ball ... which isn't necessarily a huge strength of Pettis (he isn't bad at) and definitely not the strength of Ross.

We can be similar ... but we'll be different.

McLatcher needs to take the leap. He'll probably never be Ross as a route runner (though I don't put anything past #MyBush), but he needs to improve his ball skills and at least be able to bring down the wide open/underthrown/now contested deep ball. If he can do that with regularity, the offense shouldn't miss a beat. Adding the two big threats you noted will be very interesting. I'm not sure they'll play a ton at first but by mid year I would expect both to be big parts of the rotation, though probably not starters.
    Chico is going to take a big leap this year, played half the year with a damaged MCL. #MiChico
    The MCL injury isn't going to make him taller or significantly stronger.

No question that the injury reduced some of his high end speed/quickness ability ... but he needs to get significantly better all the way around to not get passed over.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    edited February 2017
    Maybe they shouldn't throw to McClatcher after he's gotten behind a taller CB. He's built for short routes in front of the CB's, where he can duck, juke, spin & go. Just like Jaydon(Yay!!). Except downfield instead of backwards. More shit from the loser OC that can't match plays to his personnel's strengths. But, 12-2 obscures it, so we're stuck with that fucker again.
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Where the WRs will need to prove themselves without Ross will be in that in 2016 defenses had to be scared enough of Ross and his speed that created a problem either defending the deep pass or slowing the running game. I would expect DCs to make us prove that we can do the same without Ross.

I actually think we can create similar problems without Ross, but it will be largely due to the increased size of some of our WRs versus the speed. Both Ty Jones and Hunter Bryant are significant matchup problems on the outside if left in a position where they will be 1 on 1. I would also expect that at least early in the year most safety shading will likely be to the side of the field where Pettis lines up. Jones and Bryant won't necessarily run by you with their speed, but they can go up and get the ball ... which isn't necessarily a huge strength of Pettis (he isn't bad at) and definitely not the strength of Ross.

We can be similar ... but we'll be different.

McLatcher needs to take the leap. He'll probably never be Ross as a route runner (though I don't put anything past #MyBush), but he needs to improve his ball skills and at least be able to bring down the wide open/underthrown/now contested deep ball. If he can do that with regularity, the offense shouldn't miss a beat. Adding the two big threats you noted will be very interesting. I'm not sure they'll play a ton at first but by mid year I would expect both to be big parts of the rotation, though probably not starters.
    Chico is going to take a big leap this year, played half the year with a damaged MCL. #MiChico
    The MCL injury isn't going to make him taller or significantly stronger.

No question that the injury reduced some of his high end speed/quickness ability ... but he needs to get significantly better all the way around to not get passed over.
    I think people are thinking too hard of McClatcher as a WR, instead of just the offensive weapon he is. He still needs work, but he really stretches the field and is great after the catch. He can still be a Tavon Austin-Lite type player for us if he can learn to track the ball a bit better. Even if he doesn't his current role is still a valuable part of this team.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Haha McGrew. I hope he fucking starts for you guys

• Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    I'm interested in seeing if Q Pounds, Baccallia, Fuller, and KJ step up with the three guys coming in or if they all get passed on the depth chart by the end of fall ball.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

I really think people are underselling McGrew, he will have a role as a running back for us. I see third down back this year and get him the ball in space, and then the following year he is sharing carries with Ahmed. He has vision that you cannot teach.

(granted Gaskin could stay, we'll see; I agree it's likely too early to speculate if he will, but yeah. The poont still stands that I think mcgrew is underrated)

I don't really understand why Gaskin would leave unless he has an incredible year. Running Backs aren't valued as high in the NFL anymore unless you are an Ezekiel Elliot type of talent which Gaskin is not. He's a great running back but he's not the type of back that leaps out as someone who is going to be a highly touted NFL prospect.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I'm interested in seeing if Q Pounds, Baccallia, Fuller, and KJ step up with the three guys coming in or if they all get passed on the depth chart by the end of fall ball.

I think Fuller stays in the rotation, the others will probably all get passed up.
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054

I don't really understand why Gaskin would leave unless he has an incredible year. Running Backs aren't valued as high in the NFL anymore unless you are an Ezekiel Elliot type of talent which Gaskin is not. He's a great running back but he's not the type of back that leaps out as someone who is going to be a highly touted NFL prospect.
    That's also part of the reason some enter early. They're undervalued and have short careers, so they try to get in when they can. I'm guessing if Gaskin is told he's guaranteed to go in the 4th round or earlier, he will definitely enter. RBs get injured so often and if they have lesser carries teams seem to value that. At 190 pounds he might not get that answer from people, so that might lead him to stay, but I definitely would not be shocked to see him enter.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

That's also part of the reason some enter early. They're undervalued and have short careers, so they try to get in when they can. I'm guessing if Gaskin is told he's guaranteed to go in the 4th round or earlier, he will definitely enter. RBs get injured so often and if they have lesser carries teams seem to value that. At 190 pounds he might not get that answer from people, so that might lead him to stay, but I definitely would not be shocked to see him enter.
    bingo