Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NFL Overtime rules ... you guys okay with this? I don't understand ...

animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Okay, gimme your feedback. I want to know if you feel that NFL OT rules are "fair" or "okay" ...

I don't like it at all. I think it's stupid.

The game was great entertainment ... I personally would like to have seen Atlanta win ... but NE winning it is amazing evidence of their greatness.

But here's the thing:

- game ended in a tie. A tie!
- sure, NE staged an epic comeback. But Atlanta staged an epic beatdown ... for part of the game until NE stormed back.
- the game was tie, in regulation. A tie!
- OT comes ... and a coin flip. A coin flip! that NE wins. They get the choice to either attack or defend ... what moron would defend when the rule is that if you score a touchdown it's all over and the other team has zero chance to respond?

Is that right? Am I missing something?

In the NBA, if a game ends in a tie, there's OT. Doesn't matter if one team is playing great, builds a 30 pt lead ... then the other team catches fire and scores 30 points unanswered. It ends in a tie.

Then .... the team that stormed back wins a coin flip! They get to shoot a free throw and they sink it. They win the NBA championship! The other team has no opportunity to shoot a free throw because the other team already went first based on a coin flip and sunk theirs. Game over ... it's history.

Or hockey. Game ends in regulation in a tie. One team wins a coin flip and gets to shoot first in a penalty-shot situation. They score ... and win the Stanley Cup! The other team has no chance to shoot and tie it up.

I don't understand why football has these apologists ... I don't get it.

So, what's your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They're perfect.

Either play for 3 like a fag and lose, or play for 7 and talk shit
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    You give up a TD when you can't give up a TD you deserve to lose. I love it. Infinitely better than college shittastic play forever rules.
  • Options
    phineas said:

They're perfect.

Either play for 3 like a fag and lose, or play for 7 and talk shit

man, I don't get this.

I'd rather Atlanta and New England play in OT at least fair possessions and beat the crap out of each other ... take turns taking shots. Whomever has more points - wins! Doesn't that make sense?

I just don't think that a freakin' coin flip leads to a possible conclusion like this.

If NE is still hot ... they will score and win in OT.

If Atlanta rebounds like NE did in regulation they may win in OT.

The better team wins ... not who wins the coin flip first ...
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Atlanta had a chance. Get a stop.
  • Options
    dnc said:

animate said:

Okay, gimme your feedback. I want to know if you feel that NFL OT rules are "fair" or "okay" ...

The game was great entertainment ... I personally would like to have seen Atlanta win ... but NE winning it is amazing evidence of their greatness.

But here's the thing:

- sure, NE staged an epic comeback. But Atlanta staged an epic beatdown ... for part of the game until NE stormed back.
    - OT comes ... and a coin flip. A coin flip! that NE wins. They get the choice to either attack or defend ... what moron would defend when the rule is that if you score a touchdown it's all over and the other team has zero chance to respond?

In the NBA, if a game ends in a tie, there's OT. Doesn't matter if one team is playing great, builds a 30 pt lead ... then the other team catches fire and scores 30 points unanswered. It ends in a tie.

Then .... the team that stormed back wins a coin flip! They get to shoot a free throw and they sink it. They win the NBA championship! The other team has no opportunity to shoot a free throw because the other team already went first based on a coin flip and sunk theirs. Game over ... it's history.

Or hockey. Game ends in regulation in a tie. One team wins a coin flip and gets to shoot first in a penalty-shot situation. They score ... and win the Stanley Cup! The other team has no chance to shoot and tie it up.

So, what's your opinion?

Also your comparisons are complete bullshit. You just equated driving the length of the field in the NFL to making a free throw or a penalty shot.

not really ... tied at regulation.

Driving the length of the field and getting a score. Other team failed to get the stop. That's fine.

How come the other team doesn't get the chance to do the same?

Based on who won the coin flip?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

dnc said:

animate said:

But here's the thing:

So, what's your opinion?

Also your comparisons are complete bullshit. You just equated driving the length of the field in the NFL to making a free throw or a penalty shot.

Yes, you compared a TD drive to hitting a free throw or a penalty shot. Not sure how you could possibly deny that.
  • Options
    dnc said:

animate said:

dnc said:

animate said:

But here's the thing:

So, what's your opinion?

Yes, you compared a TD drive to hitting a free throw or a penalty shot. Not sure how you could possibly deny that.
    Context.

I'm comparing one overtime (NFL) to denying a chance for one team to do the same as the other team - based on who won the opportunity via coin flip.

Touchdown drive ... penalty shot ... free throw ... in that way it's all the same. Context.

Would it be fair if that winning penalty shot or free throw was based purely on who won the coin flip? They get sudden death ... based on a coin flip? That's not right.

What do you think about the coin flip? Is that okay?

If someone thinks that a coin flip deciding who goes first in sudden death - is okay ... well, I don't agree with that ... but whatever.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Atlanta had a chance. Get a stop.

Or kick a FG in the fourth quarter.

Or don't blow a 28-3 lead.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2017
    two things:

1) It is likely that the NFL didin't even knew what the Super Bowl OT rules were more than 3 minutes before they made some intern flip through the rules book near the end, so this was more of an experiment until it gets changed or not. Vegas actuaries will apprise Commissioner Goodell of the likelihood of a tie happening again.

2) In this case, the rules wouldn't have mattered... as you begin overtime with Tom Fucking Brady getting stronger and madder and more focused while little Maddy Ice gets more tired and confused there just isn't any realistic way that NE doesn't win the game no matter what in OT.

• Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The GOAT won just get the fuck over it already. There is a reason he is the GOAT.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    animate said:

dnc said:

animate said:

But here's the thing:

So, what's your opinion?

Driving the length of the field and getting a score. Other team failed to get the stop. That's fine.

How come the other team doesn't get the chance to do the same?

Based on who won the coin flip?
    College kids needs a short field, equal chance OT. They are slaves that work 14 hour days.

The current NFL OT is really fucking stupid. They should be like every single other pro sport in the planet that uses a clock in a knockout scenario and play a timed OT.

15 more minutes. If it's still tied after that the first score wins.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think each team should pick 5 guys to take an extra point. Like a shootout or something.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

I think each team should pick 3 guys to take an extra point. Like a shootout or something.

• Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    The team with the most intimidating Haka dance should be declared the victor.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    surprised so many here are fans of the NFL OT
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

What's wrong with it? The old OT when a FG could win it was shitty.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Both of the formats are bad. The NCAA format leads to massive number of overtimes while the NFL format has the one team with possession possibility.

What really matters is that the losing team in either format has nothing to whine about because they had 60 minutes to win the game outright in the first place.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,497
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

I think each team should pick 3 guys to take an extra point. Like a shootout or something.

No. 5 shooters like in REAL football.