Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nick Ford -- what happened?

Last I'd heard, he was a rare human who UW wanted at OT but who preferred to play DT.

Okay, fine. UW was also still scrambling for DLs in the final week. So why not Ford? If he's rare enough that UW preferred him at OT above Kirkland and Norgaard, why wouldn't we like him at DL at least as well as Tryon and Lolohea?

Even if you're not going to pull a DL-to-OT bait-and-switch (which is probably what UU has in mind), isn't Ford a guy who could have actually helped Malloe's DL and filled the Marlon void?

The 85-scholly limit shouldn't be a big problem, given how many greyshirt candidates are coming in. I don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Of course neither of us have the luxury of asking our respective coaches what the fuck is going on, but the Utah staff moves guys around all the time. Whitt is genuine about letting a guy compete for whatever position he wants. Long, long history of this. I'm sure Nick knows he's going to get a legitimate shot at defense. If he's truly a better fit for OT he will naturally end up there.

Since I can only guess, I think it's a philosophy difference between Whitt and Pete. Whitt is willing to let a guy "waste" reps and Pete isn't?
  • Options
    HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 497
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    is Strausser a white supremacist?

Too much stereotype!?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,899
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    He told the coaches he was going to play DL in college.

The coaches hadn't evaluated him as a DL prospect, only OL. Hence, he did not have an offer as a D Lineman.

He picked a school that said he could play DL.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    89ute said:

Of course neither of us have the luxury of asking our respective coaches what the fuck is going on, but the Utah staff moves guys around all the time. Whitt is genuine about letting a guy compete for whatever position he wants. Long, long history of this. I'm sure Nick knows he's going to get a legitimate shot at defense. If he's truly a better fit for OT he will naturally end up there.

Since I can only guess, I think it's a philosophy difference between Whitt and Pete. Whitt is willing to let a guy "waste" reps and Pete isn't?

Every time a kid wants to play a position you don't want him to play, if you want him, you have him come in and play that position. If you don't want him, just drop him.

And - @bananasnblondes - at least that's what Scott says!
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747

Under Straußer, when's the last time we got a black OL that had other P5 offers?

Always about the blacks?
    Always. It's DDY for Chrissakes.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Adrian Klemm was fired in mid Jan so Jaxson Kirkland soon became available. They must have liked Kirkland more and didn't have room for Ford after Kirkland (legacy too) said I do.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Not that I'm saying it wasn't possible, but says who?

And can you deescalate your WTF to a Vote Down? Trying to protect the stats.

HFNY said:

Adrian Klemm was fired in mid Jan so Jaxson Kirkland soon became available. They must have liked Kirkland more and didn't have room for Ford after Kirkland (legacy too) said I do.

Kirkland was always available.
    Didn't even mean to wtf. 405, standstill traffic, no blow, and my fingers aren't even fat.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    89ute said:

TTJ said:

Last I'd heard, he was a rare human who UW wanted at OT but who preferred to play DT.

Okay, fine. UW was also still scrambling for DLs in the final week. So why not Ford? If he's rare enough that UW preferred him at OT above Kirkland and Norgaard, why wouldn't we like him at DL at least as well as Tryon and Lolohea?

Even if you're not going to pull a DL-to-OT bait-and-switch (which is probably what UU has in mind), isn't Ford a guy who could have actually helped Malloe's DL and filled the Marlon void?

The 85-scholly limit shouldn't be a big problem, given how many greyshirt candidates are coming in. I don't get it.

In case anyone is wondering --
    Former defensive tackle Nick Ford suited up in red today and will play on the offensive line, according to coach Whitt. He said that the top 8 linemen are extremely good, but that there's a noticeable drop off in talent after that. Adding Ford to the fold might not help the line this year, but it's an investment in the position group down the road. Whitt also said he believes his team is 6 deep at DT and 5 deep at DE

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2017
    Baseman's Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation or recommendation for any scantily clad, partially nude, any suggestive broad, or similar offering, nor does it constitute an offer to provide real information regarding, and or related to the University of Washington Football program. The Chincredible button and "5 Reasons Huskies will Win" are the sole property of HH and may not be poasted, broadcast or televised without the expressed written consent of HH. The views, opinions, downvotes and WTF's expressed by TierbsHsotBoobs are solely those of Boobs and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HH or its poasters. Anything you poast, can, and will be used against you, years later.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    89ute said:

Baseman's Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation or recommendation for any scantily clad, partially nude, any suggestive broad, or similar offering, nor does it constitute an offer to provide real information regarding, and or related to the University of Washington Football program. The Chincredible button and "5 Reasons Huskies will Win" are the sole property of HH and may not be poasted, broadcast or televised without the expressed written consent of HH. The views, opinions, downvotes and WTF's expressed by TierbsHsotBoobs are solely those of Boobs and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HH or its poasters. Anything you poast, can, and will be used against you, years later.

Or six months later, but still
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,563
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

Mcgary was allowed to waste a fall on defense. He was in Pete's first class and local so maybe that played into the bait and switch but he is one example.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

89ute said:

Or six months later, but still
    Or two days in teq case
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    BallzDeep said:

I knew it. This is from a trip report of his visit to Utah:

"One of the major developments from his visit is the fact that Ford would be coming to Utah as a defensive lineman, which he prefers, instead of an offensive lineman - where most other schools are recruiting him. “I spoke with Coach Harding and he was telling me he wanted me to come play offensive lineman, but if I do end up coming (to Utah), I’m actually going to be playing defensive line,” Ford explained. “I actually told Coach Whittingham and Coach Powell that I’d like to play defensive line, they gave me the choice, and Coach Whittingham and Coach Powell were both pretty excited about it, and told me that’s where they want me to play. They both see me as 3-technique defensive tackle, but possibly as a strong side defensive end, it just depends on how my body develops.” - Steve Bartle

Utah ain't even giving this kid a chance to play D-line. They wanted him for O-line all along just like UW did because he is clearly a Tackle but they told him what he wanted to hear to get his signature. Well played Whittingham.

Honestly, if Huff was at UW last year we would have closed ford. Chris was just a terrible recruiter
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I spoke with Nick Ford yesterday. He red shirted last year and I'm quite certain he's going to be starting at left guard. He's been playing all the positions on the line, including center, so if there is an injury, he will slide to that position and another dude will play left guard.

So I asked him - "apparently your recruiting came down to a battle between us and Worshington"

Nick: Man ... I don't know where that's coming from (I got the impression he's been asked about this before) I committed to Utah on my visit.

89ute ... inquisitive, questioning look on his face

Nick ... I was a silent commit

89ute ... Silent commit, (again with the inquisitive look) what's up with the "silent commit"

Nick ... I want to go to medical school. I told the coaches I wanted to visit Washington to check out their medical school. You know Washington has an outstanding medical school. (we both then chat back and forth about Worshington's supreme academis)

We chatted a little more and he emphasized he loved Utah from the moment he arrived and that's why he commited.