Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

this is good

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

When you stop and consider multi-passenger, on demand autonomous drone technology is in use and scaleable today, fixed point, fixed schedule choo choo train technology 20 years out seems rather silly.

It doesn't if you keep them above ground as a go between major metros that link to local rail transit.

If they are private the build time would be very low.
    Portland metro area resident here:

Fixed rail lines are dumb.
    As a visitor to Portland, I appreciate the rail lines. San Diego is cool too. No DUI when you can catch the light rail from gas lamp.

That being said, I've been on the rail from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and it's awful. I've used it in San Francisco and it works well there. The airport to downtown Seattle is nice but it's limited to just that basically.

Rail from San Fran to LA is dumb when there's 3 airports to the Bay area and 3 in LA area all with direct flights. Really across the west, rail doesn't make sense other than in some cities.
    2021 they open the extension that goes all the way to Northgate, with midpoint stations at Roosevelt and the U-District. Should help eliminate some of the traffic shitshow on I-5 and also make it easier to get anywhere from the U-District without dealing with slow ass busses.
    It won't help eliminate some traffic. The growth of Amazon, Expedia, etc. jobs downtown will just replace the cars on the freeway that will take the rail. That said, it's better than doing nothing with traffic.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    BearsWiin said:

The California train is a great idea.

Actually some trains out west wouldn't be too bad because the land is relatively flat and it doesn't go through mcuh development so it's cheaper.

The Cali train is already billions over budget and year behind schedule and so far has a route between Bakersfield and Fresno

This is not completely factual but still
    LA-SF high speed rail has to either go over a mountain range or along the coast through Santa Barbara. Only the mountain range option is under consideration. A white trash train from Bakersfield to Sacramento with a stop in Fresno works from an engineering standpoint but the redneck passengers couldn't pay the cost. The whole LA-SF high speed rail idea is asinine.
    *skills
    *analysis
    *education
    Excessive local veto power is also making a mockery of the project. Local groups in San Jose sued to block the portion of the rail that goes through San Jose (I think near Diridon Station) because they objected to the look of the architectural rendering of a particular rail bridge over a roadway.
    Why should communities allow this disruption when it gives them zero benefit?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited February 2017
    No DUI when you catch an autonomous Uber drone or Uber Pool drone. On demand, cashless, 24/7/365, limitless possibilities. available technologically today. Buildout is instantaneous. Could quite literally begin deployment in a matter of days and begin immediate scaling.

NO roads needed.

Fixed rail is a fucking joke.
    doogie said:

No DUI when you catch an autonomous Uber drone or Uber Pool drone. On demand, cashless, 24/7/365, limitless possibilities. available technologically today. Buildout is instantaneous. Could quite literally begin deployment in a matter of days and begin immediate scaling.

NO roads needed.

Fixed rail is a fucking joke.

I like you because of this thread.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    This doesn't mean you get to crawl into my sleeping bag at the HH camp out.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

When you stop and consider multi-passenger, on demand autonomous drone technology is in use and scaleable today, fixed point, fixed schedule choo choo train technology 20 years out seems rather silly.

It doesn't if you keep them above ground as a go between major metros that link to local rail transit.

As a visitor to Portland, I appreciate the rail lines. San Diego is cool too. No DUI when you can catch the light rail from gas lamp.

That being said, I've been on the rail from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and it's awful. I've used it in San Francisco and it works well there. The airport to downtown Seattle is nice but it's limited to just that basically.

Rail from San Fran to LA is dumb when there's 3 airports to the Bay area and 3 in LA area all with direct flights. Really across the west, rail doesn't make sense other than in some cities.
    2021 they open the extension that goes all the way to Northgate, with midpoint stations at Roosevelt and the U-District. Should help eliminate some of the traffic shitshow on I-5 and also make it easier to get anywhere from the U-District without dealing with slow ass busses.
    It won't help eliminate some traffic. The growth of Amazon, Expedia, etc. jobs downtown will just replace the cars on the freeway that will take the rail. That said, it's better than doing nothing with traffic.
    Amazon should make their employees ride bikes.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited February 2017
    2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Amazon and jobs in the same paragraph, el oh el. Yeah Amazon will help with jobs and traffic. They will be putting so many more people out of work and into their basements that traffic won't be much of a concern in the future. #KillAmazon

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Amazon should make their employees ride bikes choke on a big chink dong.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    edited February 2017

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Amazon and jobs in the same paragraph, el oh el. Yeah Amazon will help with jobs and traffic. They will be putting so many more people out of work and into their basements that traffic won't be much of a concern in the future. #KillAmazon
    Please 'splain that. How is providing a distribution platform a job killer?

Or are you talking their web services which provide tech guys with a means to do cool shit?

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Or are you talking their web services which provide tech guys with a means to do cool shit?

I don't give a fuck about their Indian tech cunts. They can go back to Delhi and get fucked by Shiva. Sears, Macy's and others are closing a huge amount of stores. Malls are dying.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

The California train is a great idea.

Actually some trains out west wouldn't be too bad because the land is relatively flat and it doesn't go through mcuh development so it's cheaper.

The Cali train is already billions over budget and year behind schedule and so far has a route between Bakersfield and Fresno

This is not completely factual but still
    LA-SF high speed rail has to either go over a mountain range or along the coast through Santa Barbara. Only the mountain range option is under consideration. A white trash train from Bakersfield to Sacramento with a stop in Fresno works from an engineering standpoint but the redneck passengers couldn't pay the cost. The whole LA-SF high speed rail idea is asinine.
    *skills
    *analysis
    *education
    https://g.co/kgs/ZJuwPT

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

marketwatch.com/story/amazon-is-going-to-kill-more-american-jobs-than-china-did-2017-01-19
    doogie said:

This doesn't mean you get to crawl into my sleeping bag at the HH camp out.

Fuck.

Blue balls

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

I don't give a fuck about their Indian tech cunts. They can go back to Delhi and get fucked by Shiva. Sears, Macy's and others are closing a huge amount of stores. Malls are dying.
    Should we bring back the buggy whip jobs too?
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited February 2017

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

marketwatch.com/story/amazon-is-going-to-kill-more-american-jobs-than-china-did-2017-01-19
    It sounds as if Drone Tech jobs could be a booming career path sooner Than later. blockquote class="Quote" rel="TierbsHsotBoobs">

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Should we bring back the buggy whip jobs too?

NMTE the return of the rickshaw seems viable.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,917 Founders Club
    I like to get hammered and tie a big red wagon to the back of my bike and charge people for rides. Suck my fat one.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    edited February 2017

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Please die with them. :smiley:
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Doog Post Of The Year!
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    edited February 2017

2001400ex said:

NEsnake12 said:

2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

AWS makes up way more than half of Amazon' profits. Their retail division is becoming less and less important. Regardless, it's more of a marketplace than anything else. Who the fuck cares if dinosaurs like Sears couldn't adapt?

Complaining about a job creator than provides thousands of $100k+ careers in Seattle might be the dumbest thing I've read on this board.