Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

this is good

dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-japan-idUSKBN15I0RS

high speed rail is awesome and we've needed for a while. hopefully it expands over time.

I don't know when the agreement was actually struck, but good either way.

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    The California train is a great idea.

Actually some trains out west wouldn't be too bad because the land is relatively flat and it doesn't go through mcuh development so it's cheaper.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

Actually some trains out west wouldn't be too bad because the land is relatively flat and it doesn't go through mcuh development so it's cheaper.

The Cali train is already billions over budget and year behind schedule and so far has a route between Bakersfield and Fresno

This is not completely factual but still
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Seattle to Portland, Sacramento to Bay Area, Bay Area to LA, LA to Vegas, LA to San Diego, Phoenix to LA, Phoenix to Vegas, Tucson to Phoenix. Skip the wasteland between Sacramento and Portland.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    They are trying LA to SF but nobody actually wants the train to run through their town or neighborhood
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    dhdawg said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-japan-idUSKBN15I0RS

high speed rail is awesome and we've needed for a while. hopefully it expands over time.

I don't know when the agreement was actually struck, but good either way.

Great!!!!

How a I gonna show my kids how to flatten a penny now!!!
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    When you stop and consider multi-passenger, on demand autonomous drone technology is in use and scaleable today, fixed point, fixed schedule choo choo train technology 20 years out seems rather silly.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    doogie said:

When you stop and consider multi-passenger, on demand autonomous drone technology is in use and scaleable today, fixed point, fixed schedule choo choo train technology 20 years out seems rather silly.

It doesn't if you keep them above ground as a go between major metros that link to local rail transit.

If they are private the build time would be very low.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Mosster47 said:

Seattle to Portland, Sacramento to Bay Area, Bay Area to LA, LA to Vegas, LA to San Diego, Phoenix to LA, Phoenix to Vegas, Tucson to Phoenix. Skip the wasteland between Sacramento and Portland.

Not enough riders to justify the ridiculous cost for all of these except possibly the Bay to LA.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

It doesn't if you keep them above ground as a go between major metros that link to local rail transit.

Portland metro area resident here:

Fixed rail lines are dumb.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

Mosster47 said:

Not enough riders to justify the ridiculous cost for all of these except possibly the Bay to LA.
    Dense urban areas only makes sense here. It works great in places like Japan, because no matter where you are, you're going to be sneezing on somebody.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792
    2001400ex said:

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

As a visitor to Portland, I appreciate the rail lines. San Diego is cool too. No DUI when you can catch the light rail from gas lamp.

That being said, I've been on the rail from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and it's awful. I've used it in San Francisco and it works well there. The airport to downtown Seattle is nice but it's limited to just that basically.

Rail from San Fran to LA is dumb when there's 3 airports to the Bay area and 3 in LA area all with direct flights. Really across the west, rail doesn't make sense other than in some cities.
    2021 they open the extension that goes all the way to Northgate, with midpoint stations at Roosevelt and the U-District. Should help eliminate some of the traffic shitshow on I-5 and also make it easier to get anywhere from the U-District without dealing with slow ass busses.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792

Mosster47 said:

doogie said:

Seattle light rail would be so much faster if it didn't have that ground level line through Rainier Valley.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

The Cali train is already billions over budget and year behind schedule and so far has a route between Bakersfield and Fresno

LA-SF high speed rail has to either go over a mountain range or along the coast through Santa Barbara. Only the mountain range option is under consideration. A white trash train from Bakersfield to Sacramento with a stop in Fresno works from an engineering standpoint but the redneck passengers couldn't pay the cost. The whole LA-SF high speed rail idea is asinine.
    *skills
    *analysis
    *education
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024

LA-SF high speed rail has to either go over a mountain range or along the coast through Santa Barbara. Only the mountain range option is under consideration. A white trash train from Bakersfield to Sacramento with a stop in Fresno works from an engineering standpoint but the redneck passengers couldn't pay the cost. The whole LA-SF high speed rail idea is asinine.
    *skills
    *analysis
    *education
    Excessive local veto power is also making a mockery of the project. Local groups in San Jose sued to block the portion of the rail that goes through San Jose (I think near Diridon Station) because they objected to the look of the architectural rendering of a particular rail bridge over a roadway.