Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

As With Most Things Sark

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
There's some good ... there's some bad.

Good to see that he understands that the ASU game is the biggest game of the year (now that he's failed to end the Decade of Dominance) ...

There's no doubt that the PAC has a number of good teams ... but it's critical this year that he shows that he doesn't have his annual 3 game October swoon in him ...

Forget the score Saturday, I saw more good things than bad things ... and that's not a moral victory. Oregon's good ... better than we are right now. They adjusted to the things that we took away and minimized where we had advantages. That's what good teams do.

Time to go beat Arizona State ... a 9 and even 10 win season are still within reach.

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Whether we lose to Oregon by 7, 14, 21, 28, or whatever, it's still a loss. That doesn't change.

The simple point is that we did a lot of good things on the field. We slowed down their base running game. We did a good job of taking away a lot of their initial passing plays. We ran the ball for almost 200 yards. What we didn't do a good job of doing was containing Mariota in the pocket and allowed him to kill us with his legs ... and then his legs turning into compromising the defense w/ the pass. We did a terrible job on our own end of executing in the passing game and getting the ball to Kasen and ASJ.

There's nothing that I saw Saturday that changed my opinion of this team. It's a good team - but not an elite team. Oregon's an elite team (and that sucks to say). But we have a good enough team to beat Arizona State on the road. We have a good enough team to beat UCLA on the road. We have a good enough team to beat Oregon State on the road. I'd like to think that we can get at least 2 of those 3.

Before the season, 9 wins w/ a .500 road record in conference was a very attainable goal ... a goal that I think almost everybody would have suggested was signs of continued progression. That's a goal that is still within reach.
    So you are saying that you'd be pissed w/ a 10-2 regular season this year?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Tequilla said:

There's some good ... there's some bad.

Good to see that he understands that the ASU game is the biggest game of the year (now that he's failed to end the Decade of Dominance) ...

There's no doubt that the PAC has a number of good teams ... but it's critical this year that he shows that he doesn't have his annual 3 game October swoon in him ...

Forget the score Saturday, I saw more good things than bad things ... and that's not a moral victory. Oregon's good ... better than we are right now. They adjusted to the things that we took away and minimized where we had advantages. That's what good teams do.

Time to go beat Arizona State ... a 9 and even 10 win season are still within reach.

Sark already lost the two biggest games of the season. Third place ribbons are for Doogs, Doog.
    Tequilla said:

Whether we lose to Oregon by 7, 14, 21, 28, or whatever, it's still a loss. That doesn't change.

The simple point is that we did a lot of good things on the field. We slowed down their base running game. We did a good job of taking away a lot of their initial passing plays. We ran the ball for almost 200 yards. What we didn't do a good job of doing was containing Mariota in the pocket and allowed him to kill us with his legs ... and then his legs turning into compromising the defense w/ the pass. We did a terrible job on our own end of executing in the passing game and getting the ball to Kasen and ASJ.

There's nothing that I saw Saturday that changed my opinion of this team. It's a good team - but not an elite team. Oregon's an elite team (and that sucks to say). But we have a good enough team to beat Arizona State on the road. We have a good enough team to beat UCLA on the road. We have a good enough team to beat Oregon State on the road. I'd like to think that we can get at least 2 of those 3.

Before the season, 9 wins w/ a .500 road record in conference was a very attainable goal ... a goal that I think almost everybody would have suggested was signs of continued progression. That's a goal that is still within reach.

People saying UW stopped Oregon's running attack, even though Oregon's running backs rushed for over 5 YPC and completely steamrolled Washington's miserable and pathetic defense in the second half.

TD, FG, TD, TD, mercy knee. That was UW's defensive "performance" against Oregon in the second half.
    Who here is saying that they want a 3rd place ribbon?

10-2 is still a damn good year.

LSU could very easily wind up 9-3 this year. At least one of Texas A&M or LSU will be 10-2. Georgia already has 2 losses.

10-2 isn't the end of the world for this program.

If you were a preseason #2 like Oregon and finished the year 10-2, I'd agree that that's not a great year.

But if you weren't ranked before the season and the "experts" in Vegas had an o/u win total for you at 7.5 wins and you manage to get to 10 wins, then I'd say that you had a pretty good year.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited October 2013
    Tequilla said:

That's assuming Sark wins the next six straight, which includes road games at ASU, UCLA, and OSU. 7-6 looks more probable, however it will land in the middle. Most here will illustrate that as mediocrity, while 95% of Seattle will claim incremental progress, and storm the streets in celebration how UW is almost there and how 2014 will be the year. I'll go halfway with you on this as 9-4 looks to be the most likely scenario.
    Tequilla said:

Who here is saying that they want a 3rd place ribbon?

10-2 is still a damn good year.

LSU could very easily wind up 9-3 this year. At least one of Texas A&M or LSU will be 10-2. Georgia already has 2 losses.

10-2 isn't the end of the world for this program.

If you were a preseason #2 like Oregon and finished the year 10-2, I'd agree that that's not a great year.

But if you weren't ranked before the season and the "experts" in Vegas had an o/u win total for you at 7.5 wins and you manage to get to 10 wins, then I'd say that you had a pretty good year.

Doogs gonna Doog.

By the way, UW isn't winning out. Not even close.

Sark is still Sark and UW is playing three quality opponents on the road. It will be a miracle if UW wins two of those three games.
    Those TD drives you speak of were driven by Mariota's arm/legs and not their ground game ... Oregon's base running attack didn't "win the day" for them.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    Tequilla said:

In the end, yes. Because I believe Sark will never win a PAC12 conference title let alone a national championship. I have felt this way for 3 years now (not as long as some here). I wanted to believe this year was different. But, the same "bad things" over and over is why he will never return the program to elite status. So, the sooner we get beyond Sark the better.
    My thoughts before the season were 9-3 ... I think that that's still very attainable for this team.

Saturday is a must win game - no doubt about it.

I don't see anyway that this team does a 7-6 season this year ... I find it hard to believe that they come in anywhere under 8 in the regular season given what is left ...

If Sark was to go 0-4 in conference road games, then I'd agree with comments questioning whether or not he's the answer.
    Tequilla said:

Those TD drives you speak of were driven by Mariota's arm/legs and not their ground game ... Oregon's base running attack didn't "win the day" for them.

Mariota's legs are part of their base running attack.

Hope this helps.
    This won't be a popular opinion, but I thought Oregon beat us on Saturday simply because they were a better team with answers to any question we asked them. It sucks to say that ...

We pissed the Stanford game away ... that pisses me off.

The question is how do we rebound against ASU? Do we come out and play a strong game that earns us a very good road win in a place that we haven't won in forever? Or do we make sloppy mistakes that earn us another moral victory of being a really good team that can't just get over the hump for whatever reason?
    My point on Mariota was that he didn't hurt us on the read option or on designed QB runs ... where he hurt us was by breaking the pocket on designed passes b/c we didn't have the DEs that could get up the field and contain him ... instead he was able to do whatever he wanted in the pocket, escape, and then compromise the defense.

There's not a great way to defend that if you don't have the players to be able to pull it off ... and let's be honest here, we all can pretty much agree that the DE position isn't a strength for this team.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    Tequilla said:

This won't be a popular opinion, but I thought Oregon beat us on Saturday simply because they were a better team with answers to any question we asked them. It sucks to say that ...

The question is how do we rebound against ASU? Do we come out and play a strong game that earns us a very good road win in a place that we haven't won in forever? Or do we make sloppy mistakes that earn us another moral victory of being a really good team that can't just get over the hump for whatever reason?

Only losers, or doogs, give a shat about moral victories. Oh, Puritans too, but they're hardly relevant today.

Tequilla said:

1. not being able to get over the hump is not a moral victory
    2. Moral victories do not exist.

Win or GTFO
    In the hypothetical world of Tequilla and Coach Sark, UW will be 7-0 after this Saturday's moral victory.
    And where have I ever said that moral victories are a good thing?