Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Lake to Cal

Comments

• Options
    jamtoftjamtoft Member Posts: 118
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

Cal posters are getting nervous

Hahaha... We are always nervous. At Cal we can't have nice things!
    You don't demand nice things, which is why you fail.
    If you were a Bears fan wouldn't it be... WE don't demand nice things, which is why WE fail? ... Makes sense you are groveling over here at a Huskies board.
    I've already said that I don't claim you
    Well of course... Why would a Huskies fan claim me. I think it is more all of CAL doesn't claim you.
    Chances are that you were shitting your diapers when I was flying 3K miles to watch the Bears get beat by 3 TDs.

Go home, kid. You're lost.
    Chances are, much like with your Cal knowledge, you don't know shit... Actually that is a fact, but I am trying to nice here.
    You suck and so does Cal
    Well that wasn't very nice
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,767
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    jamtoft said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

If you were a Bears fan wouldn't it be... WE don't demand nice things, which is why WE fail? ... Makes sense you are groveling over here at a Huskies board.
    Well of course... Why would a Huskies fan claim me. I think it is more all of CAL doesn't claim you.
    Chances are that you were shitting your diapers when I was flying 3K miles to watch the Bears get beat by 3 TDs.

Chances are, much like with your Cal knowledge, you don't know shit... Actually that is a fact, but I am trying to nice here.
    You suck and so does Cal
    Well that wasn't very nice
    The truth can hurt
  • Options
    RomarFuckedJenCRomarFuckedJenC Member Posts: 117
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited January 2017
    jamtoft said:

So lake is going to leave a team that Just made the playoffs for cal? Give me a fucking break. Yea I'm sure all coaches looking to move up would rather work for Wilcox instead of Petersen. If he does decide to go to cal good luck getting out of that dumpster fire in 2-3 years. Holt 2.0

He is going to leave his DB job to take on being a DC. That is what you call a promotion. People with job aspirations do that.

I understand that but that doesn't seem like a good career move for him. He is coaching on a top 10 defense and one of the strongest units on the team. At cal he is going to a shitbird defense until he gets the right guys in there. Why not wait a year or two for a better job to open up. He is also co d coordinator not just a db coach.

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

jamtoft said:

So lake is going to leave a team that Just made the playoffs for cal? Give me a fucking break. Yea I'm sure all coaches looking to move up would rather work for Wilcox instead of Petersen. If he does decide to go to cal good luck getting out of that dumpster fire in 2-3 years. Holt 2.0

He is going to leave his DB job to take on being a DC. That is what you call a promotion. People with job aspirations do that.

I understand that but that doesn't seem like a good career move for him. He is coaching on a top 10 defense and one of the strongest units on the team. At cal he is going to a shitbird defense until he gets the right guys in there. Why not wait a year or two for a better job to open up. He is also co d coordinator not just a db coach.

He's a fucking DB coach who aspires to be a head coach.

What about money and opportunity don't you understand?

Who gives a fuck if Cal sucks. It's a PAC-12 cordinator job at a school that has had middling success and great academis for a guy with west coast roots.

If you can't grasp this, I can't help you.
  • Options
    Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

Who gives a fuck if Cal sucks. It's a PAC-12 cordinator job at a school that has had middling success and great academis for a guy with west coast roots.

What don't you understand about the right opportunity and taking what is offered? If he does aspire to be a head coach being cal d coordinator for a defense that has been one of the worst in the country doesn't seem like the best path.

But fuck what do I know.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2017

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

What don't you understand about the right opportunity and taking what is offered? If he does aspire to be a head coach being cal d coordinator for a defense that has been one of the worst in the country doesn't seem like the best path.

But fuck what do I know.
    He could, um, get credit, maybe, for, uh, making it ...better..?
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

But fuck what do I know.
    Or you end up like Nick Holt. Tough job if he does take it.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

But fuck what do I know.
    THE Nick Holt? Of the Coney Island Holts?

I doubt Lake ends up like Nick Holt; for that to happen, he would have to start out like Nick Holt. IIRC, even the SC fans thought he was a joke before he left for UW with Sark, just a screaming, clapping, crazy-eyed cheerleader who let Carroll make the defensive decisions (yeah, I used to frequent weSCare back in the day). I haven't heard anybody say that Lake is a joke.

At any rate, I tend to think that an ambitious and confident guy like Lake is more likely to look at this as an opportunity to put his stamp on something good rather than be reluctant to pull the trigger because something bad might happen.
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

Right. But I'll tell you what I do know. I know that you're in the wrong place. This is a place for true fans, no matter what colors they wear. You want to play footsie with rah-rah lemmings from UW, Dawgman is the place for you. But here, these are the people who dared to expect more from UW than the shit they got with Ty and Sark, and were banned from Dawgman for it. These guys aren't afraid to question or criticize their team or school for what it does wrong, in addition to cheering for what their team and school does right. I respect these people. I've known and bantered with many of them for a dozen years on several boards, some of which don't exist anymore. It would also seem that they respect me, because they recognize that I, too, am a true fan, even if I root for another team. And I'm not the only outsider here; there are several other non-Huskies here who enjoy and "get" this liberating environment. I dare not speak for them, for they have their own voices, but for mine own, I'll say as nicely as possible: go fuck yourself.
    Blah blah blah... lots of words no one will ever read... blah blah blah
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

But fuck what do I know.

I doubt Lake ends up like Nick Holt; for that to happen, he would have to start out like Nick Holt. IIRC, even the SC fans thought he was a joke before he left for UW with Sark, just a screaming, clapping, crazy-eyed cheerleader who let Carroll make the defensive decisions (yeah, I used to frequent weSCare back in the day). I haven't heard anybody say that Lake is a joke.

At any rate, I tend to think that an ambitious and confident guy like Lake is more likely to look at this as an opportunity to put his stamp on something good rather than be reluctant to pull the trigger because something bad might happen.
    Jimmy got Big Brass Balls. So I am pretty sure he is looking at it as an opportunity. I think he is being cautious and taking this time. If the Cal job does not go well, it will set him back and might delay his eventual aspirations to be a HC. This Cal job is big fucking project. It will at least take 2 recruiting cycle to balance out the fucking roster, and build out that Defense. Current roster is a fucking mess, too much offense not enough defense. His concern should be does the HC and AD give him 3 years to work on fix that defense, sometimes DC/OC get scapegoated by the HC.
  • Options

jamtoft said:

Hahaha a co-DC? That is a glorified title. If you don't call the plays and make the decisions on who plays then you are not the DC. Come on man.

Now waiting for a better job may be an option but how many teams are going to he looking for a DC every year on the West coast? UCLA maybe? Risky when you can spring it forward now and he isn't super young for a coach.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    jamtoft said:

jamtoft said:

Hahaha a co-DC? That is a glorified title. If you don't call the plays and make the decisions on who plays then you are not the DC. Come on man.

Now waiting for a better job may be an option but how many teams are going to he looking for a DC every year on the West coast? UCLA maybe? Risky when you can spring it forward now and he isn't super young for a coach.
    FWIW, each position coach gets to choose who plays under Petersen
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

But fuck what do I know.

Jimmy got Big Brass Balls. So I am pretty sure he is looking at it as an opportunity. I think he is being cautious and taking this time. If the Cal job does not go well, it will set him back and might delay his eventual aspirations to be a HC. This Cal job is big fucking project. It will at least take 2 recruiting cycle to balance out the fucking roster, and build out that Defense. Current roster is a fucking mess, too much offense not enough defense. His concern should be does the HC and AD give him 3 years to work on fix that defense, sometimes DC/OC get scapegoated by the HC.
    Cals defense is so bad, it's got nowhere to go but up. Lake will attract good recruits. Even a small improvement will make Lake look like a rainmaker and set him up for a better cordinator position or a HC spot, similar to what Wilcox just landed.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

But fuck what do I know.

I'm more optimistic than you are about how long it'll take to see improvement, probably in part because I place more emphasis on the importance of coaching at this level than you do (you sound like you place more emphasis on recruiting and talent than I do). In 2002 I saw a new coaching staff come in and take a squad that stunk up the place in 2001 and people didn't think would be any good going forward, and they made an immediate positive impact on defensive performance.

I don't see Wilcox as being the kind to scapegoat his coordinators. At Cal, though, the fans are pretty good at doing that, not that I think that there'll be any perceived need to scapegoat anybody this time around.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

Right. But I'll tell you what I do know. I know that you're in the wrong place. This is a place for true fans, no matter what colors they wear. You want to play footsie with rah-rah lemmings from UW, Dawgman is the place for you. But here, these are the people who dared to expect more from UW than the shit they got with Ty and Sark, and were banned from Dawgman for it. These guys aren't afraid to question or criticize their team or school for what it does wrong, in addition to cheering for what their team and school does right. I respect these people. I've known and bantered with many of them for a dozen years on several boards, some of which don't exist anymore. It would also seem that they respect me, because they recognize that I, too, am a true fan, even if I root for another team. And I'm not the only outsider here; there are several other non-Huskies here who enjoy and "get" this liberating environment. I dare not speak for them, for they have their own voices, but for mine own, I'll say as nicely as possible: go fuck yourself.
    Blah blah blah... lots of words no one will ever read... blah blah blah
    I read them.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

BearsWiin said:

jamtoft said:

You saved this thread!

Not really. But still ...
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Baseman said:

jamtoft said:

But fuck what do I know.

I'm more optimistic than you are about how long it'll take to see improvement, probably in part because I place more emphasis on the importance of coaching at this level than you do (you sound like you place more emphasis on recruiting and talent than I do). In 2002 I saw a new coaching staff come in and take a squad that stunk up the place in 2001 and people didn't think would be any good going forward, and they made an immediate positive impact on defensive performance.

I don't see Wilcox as being the kind to scapegoat his coordinators. At Cal, though, the fans are pretty good at doing that, not that I think that there'll be any perceived need to scapegoat anybody this time around.
    In the PAC 12, i think you can get to a 6-7 wins with mediocre talent. But, no fucking fan base should aspire to that. To get to 9-10 wins u need good overall talent. Look at fucking 2014 UW team. We had 4 guys on defense get drafted in the first 2 round, outside of those guys talent was not very good. We barely won 8 games. So overall talent of the unit does matter.