Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nick Ford (2017, OL, Cali) Offered

RARE HUMAN. I love this kid as we discussed a few weeks ago. Hope it's not too late with him.

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Hopefully this finally kills all the Foster hope
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Strong, plays with some hate in his heart. Guard?

Not the best offer list.
    http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Nick-Ford-96310/RecruitInterests
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2017

Not the best offer list.

His offer list is generally low end Pac-12 and below. Having only watched his highlights, I don't really see why he isn't a bit better regarded than that.

If this was a typical late Sark offer, I'd assume the guy has terrible grades, a shit attitude, or takes tons of plays off. Or all of the above! But Petersen doesn't offer guys like that. So I am a bit nonplussed.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AIRWOLF said:

I must admit I am confused about why he wasn't offered sooner. Unlike most OL prospects, he has versatility. He looks like he has the potential to be a decent DT as well. Not on the level that our top targets are, but that still has some option value. Most OLs who don't pan out aren't capable of contributing anywhere else. This guy is.

There is some risk in taking a raw athlete like this who is new to the position. Devon Burleson was a similar situation, albeit less polished than Ford. This kid has a ton of athleticism, which you can't teach. The things he needs work on are teachable things, which is Strausse's area of strength
  • Options
    AIRWOLF said:

I must admit I am confused about why he wasn't offered sooner. Unlike most OL prospects, he has versatility. He looks like he has the potential to be a decent DT as well. Not on the level that our top targets are, but that still has some option value. Most OLs who don't pan out aren't capable of contributing anywhere else. This guy is.

He has nice quickness for OL, might a little slow for defense and pad level is a little high.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Per BBK and Nick Harris, if you fucking love Ford, that means I should fucking hate him.

Ok I kid, I kid.

Reading between the lines with some of these offers, it sounds like Vea is probably gone too.

AIRWOLF said:

Not the best offer list.

His offer list is generally low end Pac-12 and below. Having only watched his highlights, I don't really see why he isn't a bit better regarded than that.

If this was a typical late Sark offer, I'd assume the guy has terrible grades, a shit attitude, or takes tons of plays off. Or all of the above! But Petersen doesn't offer guys like that. So I am a bit nonplussed.
    One thing to remember is that as a junior he was like 6-2 and sucked. He's grown really quickly.

I fucking love him.

I think if you are just going on senior tape, he's a 4-star kid.

Unlike our buttfucked OL recruiting, though, a lot of top tier P12 schools had a bunch of great players they were on or had committed prior to the season.

Would I rather have the class we SHOULD'VE had? Fozzy, AVT and Henry? Of course.

But these aren't fucking Coleman Shelton asswipes. These are the kind of kids big time schools take when they don't get their front line guys: rare humans with rare physical ability.

If we can coach worth a shit on the OL (we probably can) guys like Norgaard and Ford hit more often than miss and people are like "where the fuck did this guy come from?"
  • Options

AIRWOLF said:

There is some risk in taking a raw athlete like this who is new to the position. Devon Burleson was a similar situation, albeit less polished than Ford. This kid has a ton of athleticism, which you can't teach. The things he needs work on are teachable things, which is Strausse's area of strength
    Yeah, I get that. But I think you need to leave a little room in each class for raw athlete projects that have big upside. Especially now that we have a class that is really good at evaluating raw talent and teaching and developing football players.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    HFNY said:

Per BBK and Nick Harris, if you fucking love Ford, that means I should fucking hate him.

Ok I kid, I kid.

Reading between the lines with some of these offers, it sounds like Vea is probably gone too.

AIRWOLF said:

Not the best offer list.

One thing to remember is that as a junior he was like 6-2 and sucked. He's grown really quickly.

I fucking love him.

Unlike our buttfucked OL recruiting, though, a lot of top tier P12 schools had a bunch of great players they were on or had committed prior to the season.

Would I rather have the class we SHOULD'VE had? Fozzy, AVT and Henry? Of course.

But these aren't fucking Coleman Shelton asswipes. These are the kind of kids big time schools take when they don't get their front line guys: rare humans with rare physical ability.

If we can coach worth a shit on the OL (we probably can) guys like Norgaard and Ford hit more often than miss and people are like "where the fuck did this guy come from?"
    What is your logic on Vita being gone?
  • Options
    Vita needs to stay. Our D line is above average without him. He makes more money next year.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Ok I kid, I kid.

Dennis is clearly terrible at singling out the worst players in these classes. In fact, he is a monster contrary indicator on those. But he is usually right on his picks to be total studs.

Odd but true.

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AIRWOLF said:

HFNY said:

Ok I kid, I kid.

Dennis is clearly terrible at singling out the worst players in these classes. In fact, he is a monster contrary indicator on those. But he is usually right on his picks to be total studs.

Odd but true.

You only mention the times I'm a monster contrary indicator!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

AIRWOLF said:

HFNY said:

Ok I kid, I kid.

Odd but true.

You only mention the times I'm a monster contrary indicator!!!!
    You just need to adopt the Costanza Strategem on the players that you instinctively dislike with every fiber of your (recently diminished) being. But tell us when you do.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

Ok I kid, I kid.

AIRWOLF said:

Not the best offer list.

I fucking love him.

As soon as Brandon Pili posts on Twitter that we offered him, we will know that Vita Vea is gone.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

HFNY said:

Ok I kid, I kid.

AIRWOLF said:

Not the best offer list.

I fucking love him.

What is your logic on Vita being gone?
    Yeah I don't get that either. We haven't offered anymore DTs.

If he is just talking about overall space- well there is a lot of attrition that could happen that isn't to the NFL.