Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Possibility of Bain starting at guard

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I'd be very happy with our OL going forward if we could just sign Trey and Kaleb to contract extensions.

6 years 81 million?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    hire klem as OL coach and make strausser the GA
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Serious question... Do you think it would be a big loss for Alabama if their All American LT was injured?

We need better depth but pointing out that Trey Adams would be a huge loss is a true water is wet statement.

They'd slide Jonah Williams to LT, and insert a very good OL at RT. It would not come close to hurting them like it would us. Same could be said for a lot of the top teams because they have great depth on their OL.
    It would hurt them. Yeah, the premier program has better depth but their OL had a tough time with some of our back up DL. They were far from dominant.

Ohio State's OL was horrible. Florida State's freshman QB took a beating in some games. I bet Alabama murders Clemson's OL in the title game too.

I don't think all of your pints are wrong. We've whiffed on some guys, the first OL class under Pete was garbage sans McGary, and we need to get better to win a title. I just think these issues are really fucking overblown because we got beat up front by the best in the business.

Good OL, will be very good next year. TBS and the future after that I'll let you handle.
    I'd agree with that, but I'm not freaking out because we got beat up by Bama up front.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Serious question... Do you think it would be a big loss for Alabama if their All American LT was injured?

We need better depth but pointing out that Trey Adams would be a huge loss is a true water is wet statement.

They'd slide Jonah Williams to LT, and insert a very good OL at RT. It would not come close to hurting them like it would us. Same could be said for a lot of the top teams because they have great depth on their OL.
    It would hurt them. Yeah, the premier program has better depth but their OL had a tough time with some of our back up DL. They were far from dominant.

Ohio State's OL was horrible. Florida State's freshman QB took a beating in some games. I bet Alabama murders Clemson's OL in the title game too.

I don't think all of your pints are wrong. We've whiffed on some guys, the first OL class under Pete was garbage sans McGary, and we need to get better to win a title. I just think these issues are really fucking overblown because we got beat up front by the best in the business.

Good OL, will be very good next year. TBS and the future after that I'll let you handle.
    I'd agree with that, but I'm not freaking out because we got beat up by Bama up front.
    Just for the hell of it, can you give an example of an OL coach at a school similar in football status to Washington that you would prefer? This isn't a challenge, I'm genuinely curious.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

We need to put Henry Roberts picture on a milk carton. Where the fuck is he? We could have used a decent RG. I love Nick, but he is our future center

He's a second year player. LIFPO. This board has gone full retard considering how well our OL played this year. We're only losing one guy from that unit. Calm the fuck down.
    Outside of Bama the OL did perform very well this year. The Bama game has been hashed to death but there is another lurking weakness/threat which has not been discussed: injuries.

UW's 2016 OL had 4.5 competent players. Harris gets a .5 because he wasn't physically ready yet. However the dropoff after those 5 players was immense and UW was very lucky not to sustain any injuries to the starters. The line would have looked very vulnerable with Kirkland at tackle instead of Adams or McGary or with Brostek at guard instead of Eldrenkamp. Can't expect the same luck next season.

You really need 7 competent OL with at least 2-3 of those being elite to be a championship contender. You need the left side of the line to dominate. And you need at least one backup on the interior and one backup on the outside.

Yes we only lose Eldrenkamp. But that loss is from a dangerously shorthanded group. We don't need just one player to step up- we need two or three. I don't see that happening with the current roster. The numbers are thin and among those thin numbers there are even fewer guys who were highly recruited or even lauded as having underrated size and athleticism. Unlike at other positions this staff doesn't have a good record of churning out diamonds in the rough at OL that weren't freakishly huge and/or athletic as recruits.

Brostek never panned out despite three years and a redshirt under this staff. Neither have James, Kirkland, John Turner, Sosebee, or Burleson yet. Strausser has a lot to prove next year. Between this group, Wattenberg, and Roberts we need two-three players to step up.
    And Trevor Walker, Brandon Beaver, Brandon Lewis, Ezekiel Turner, Austin Joyner, and Jordan Miller haven't panned out yet either. Yet that's not a knock on Lake at all, because his unit has proved itself as fantastic, guys take time to develop, and the game of college football dictates that there will always be a handful of guys that don't live up to expectations. Does that same story not hold for Strausser too?

I also don't understand this "we only have 4.5 competent players" remark. Guys like Kirkland, Brostek, and Sosebee all looked like perfectly adequate backup linemen to me. Come next year if none of Kirkland, Sosebee, Roberts, Wattenberg, Turner, or Hilbers do a solid job of replacing Eldrenkamp, then yeah, there'll be reason for concern. And if a starter goes down with an injury and none of our backups can adequately replace him, then yeah, that's a problem. But none of that shit has happened, and nothing we've seen suggests that Strausser is incapable of stocking the OL unit with backups who can produce if called upon.

Finally, the fact that no one on our OL was injured this year is not a lucky coincidence. It's the product of a conditioning staff that knows how to train players to withstand the brutal grind of a season, and an OL coach who teaches the proper technique to avoid untimely injuries.
  • Options

Just for the hell of it, can you give an example of an OL coach at a school similar in football status to Washington that you would prefer? This isn't a challenge, I'm genuinely curious.
    That's a good question, I know Steve Greatwood is currently available. Next year there will likely be a 10th assistant coach position added to staffs, I would look to hire a 2nd OL coach.

I know Strausser is a good OL coach, he's done a very good job and I like our OL currently, especially top end. So adding a guy like Greatwood that knows Pete very well and is a solid recruiter would be nice.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Need to hire a GA who can call run plays for SmithFS
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Eldrenkamp missed two games, and Jake was beat up really bad in the Utah game when he was out. And when he came back at less than 100% against USC that hurt us a bit too.

ground game was dominant against Utah tho.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Eldrenkamp missed two games, and Jake was beat up really bad in the Utah game when he was out. And when he came back at less than 100% against USC that hurt us a bit too.

Our RB's averaged 8 per carry against Utah. Both of them.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's a good question, I know Steve Greatwood is currently available. Next year there will likely be a 10th assistant coach position added to staffs, I would look to hire a 2nd OL coach.

I know Strausser is a good OL coach, he's done a very good job and I like our OL currently, especially top end. So adding a guy like Greatwood that knows Pete very well and is a solid recruiter would be nice.
    His OL's were destroyed by SEC fronts not as good as this year's Bama.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2017

We need to put Henry Roberts picture on a milk carton. Where the fuck is he? We could have used a decent RG. I love Nick, but he is our future center

He's a second year player. LIFPO. This board has gone full retard considering how well our OL played this year. We're only losing one guy from that unit. Calm the fuck down.
    Fucking this. For the first time in forever we smashed teams. Sample and Dissly are great blocking TE's.

"Yeah, but that was Stanford and Utah, not Alabama."

Alabama. Get some Fucking perspective. Cool, you have high expectations. The OL took a HUGE step this year. They should and will take another.

Our two bookend tackles are back. A four year starter is back at Center. No reason to think Harris, Wattenberg, Roberts, etc won't be better.
    A four year starter is back at Center.

Wow. Cool. Why does Center get to play five years?

• Options

Our RB's averaged 8 per carry against Utah. Both of them.
    Yeah I know that, but our pass pro in that game was dreadful up the middle.