Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One elite QB away

2»

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,075
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I like to pretend Nick Harris isn't going to start next year because he played poorly against Alabama.

I hope Nick can go beastmode this offseason. I absolutely love that kids grit. I will forever think it was stupid though that a 260 pound freshman had to start this year. But if he can get up to 285 and keep his moxie, we might have something with him. Kid has huge balls. You can't teach that. He has got to get bigger though.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I like to pretend Nick Harris isn't going to start next year because he played poorly against Alabama.

I hope Nick can go beastmode this offseason. I absolutely love that kids grit. I will forever think it was stupid though that a 260 pound freshman had to start this year. But if he can get up to 285 and keep his moxie, we might have something with him. Kid has huge balls. You can't teach that. He has got to get bigger though.
    That's some old, rich, and white speak right there. I like it! Next time work in "plucky" as that also describes Harris.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    AEB said:

Swaye said:

That's some old, rich, and white speak right there. I like it! Next time work in "plucky" as that also describes Harris.
    I only know moxie because the government was too cheap to get us cokes on the res and instead shipped in Moxie by the truckload. Cheap ass pisswater flavored with sugar.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

AEB said:

Swaye said:

I only know moxie because the government was too cheap to get us cokes on the res and instead shipped in Moxie by the truckload. Cheap ass pisswater flavored with sugar.

Those are some serious rape eyes.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

AEB said:

Swaye said:

Those are some serious rape eyes.
    I studied it for years to get the look just right.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,636
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

Darnold is the truth no doubt. Don't mean to insinuate anything else. But, it's my opinion that if Browning ever starts getting USC level protection consistently, his performance will increase

This type of level headed reasoning doesn't go over well in these parts.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

doogie said:

Penn State had ONE sack and ONE hurry on Darnold.

Give Browning that level of protection and he'll kill it.

If you can't see the difference in arm strength and cajones, there's not much I can do for you.
    As mentioned adnauseum, Browning is lethal at intermediate throws. Pettis, Ross, Mclatchery, were so good at creating yards after catch there really wouldn't be much reason to dial up 25 yard plus throws. That's when his accuracy dipped dramatically.

There is no question elite pass protection would improve Browning's game.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    jecornel said:

doogie said:

If you can't see the difference in arm strength and cajones, there's not much I can do for you.
    As mentioned adnauseum, Browning is lethal at intermediate throws. Pettis, Ross, Mclatchery, were so good at creating yards after catch there really wouldn't be much reason to dial up 25 yard plus throws. That's when his accuracy dipped dramatically.

We agree. I think Jake could be devastating with elite protection, but I think we also agree he isn't getting elite protection next year, or likely the year after. OS the issue to me is to scheme it....whether short passes, rolling pocket...I have no idea, but my biggest issues with the team are that against elite defenses he gets rattled and then sucks, and we do not have an elite OL to fix that, so we must scheme for it, and Smiff is too stupid to figure out how to do it. In closing, can we just light Smiff on fire?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

jecornel said:

doogie said:

We agree. I think Jake could be devastating with elite protection, but I think we also agree he isn't getting elite protection next year, or likely the year after. OS the issue to me is to scheme it....whether short passes, rolling pocket...I have no idea, but my biggest issues with the team are that against elite defenses he gets rattled and then sucks, and we do not have an elite OL to fix that, so we must scheme for it, and Smiff is too stupid to figure out how to do it. In closing, can we just light Smiff on fire?
    I'm certainly full agreement about Smith. He is without question the weakest link in the coaching staff. Never was a fan of him coming with Pete from Boise.

UW virtually beat the same USC team on the road against a senior QB who actually looked decent in the NFL this year shockingly. UW had chances to win at home this year, but simply didn't get it done. Im Telling you the vibe wasn't right for the team that day. Something was off.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

jecornel said:

doogie said:

And therein lies the rub. Jake will suck when facing a great defense, even if he's behind a great O-line. All the other guys have to do is get in his head and he's toast. They don't have to win every battle, just pressure him and knock him on his ass a couple times, then they own him. I like Jake, but at this point he looks like he will never be the guy to win the game when the going gets tough. He's a front runner, not a come back kid.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2017
    jecornel said:

Swaye said:

jecornel said:

doogie said:

I'm certainly full agreement about Smith. He is without question the weakest link in the coaching staff. Never was a fan of him coming with Pete from Boise.

UW virtually beat the same USC team on the road against a senior QB who actually looked decent in the NFL this year shockingly. UW had chances to win at home this year, but simply didn't get it done. Im Telling you the vibe wasn't right for the team that day. Something was off.
    I bitch about Jake all the time and really wish he had that "it" factor that big game QBs have, but he is a good, even if flawed QB. He's got a weak arm and doesn't function well in traffic. Other than that, the kid is great. The biggest issue I see, since we haven't recruited anyone to challenge him, is making him better, and the only way I see to do that (since I think all of us agree we don't have an elite OL) is via scheme. It is becoming a circular argument...

Jake sucks under pressure...
    So protect him better...
    We haven't recruited/developed good enough OL to protect him better...
    So scheme for it with intermediate passes and underneath safety dumps or rolling pockets...
    Smiff is our OC and is too stupid to figure this out...

Jake seems to have an arm that resembles a noodle...
    So find someone that doesn't have a noodle arm...
    All the others were plan D except Vanilla Hammer who sucks...
    Well recruit better options behind him or develop someone...
    Smiff is in charge of both and is too stupid to figure it out...

And on and on it goes....
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

jecornel said:

Swaye said:

jecornel said:

doogie said:

I bitch about Jake all the time and really wish he had that "it" factor that big game QBs have, but he is a good, even if flawed QB. He's got a weak arm and doesn't function well in traffic. Other than that, the kid is great. The biggest issue I see, since we haven't recruited anyone to challenge him, is making him better, and the only way I see to do that (since I think all of us agree we don't have an elite OL) is via scheme. It is becoming a circular argument...

So protect him better...
    So scheme for it with intermediate passes and underneath safety dumps or rolling pockets...

Smiff needs to be door.ass.out
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

jecornel said:

Swaye said:

jecornel said:

doogie said:

So protect him better...

Smiff needs to be door.ass.out
    It's the one constant that no matter what angle you look at, Smiff is staring back at you with a downsy look on his face.
  • Options
    halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    doogie said:

Darnold is the truth no doubt. Don't mean to insinuate anything else. But, it's my opinion that if Browning ever starts getting USC level protection consistently, his performance will increase

Right. If no one is allowed to touch Jake, I am sure he will have the best performance in the world.
  • Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2017
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

I'd rather have a pair of 6'4 310 pound road grading Guards, a pair of 6'2 230 pound healthy thumpers at linebacker, and a pair of beastly edge assassins. Then we can upgrade Brownsocks.

As much of a shitty recruiter Chris Strausser is, I think he will develop Wattenberg and Roberts (please god let this be true). We might have decent OL next year, if those 2 are our starting guards.

Victor and Keishawn will be back.

I curious to see how our edge guys develop. From the pictures/videos I have seen, Potoa'e, Warren, Rice, and Pulu looked physically ready to play that position (whether they can play is another story).

You might get your wish

Roberts and Watty might turn out ok but I'm looking for the guy who has to stop and adjust his package every few steps he takes because he's got swag and his balls are so big. The kind of guy who walks in the first day, smiles in the Lockeroom and then goes out and rips your tits off and takes a swing at you if you get offended.

He's the kind of guy you motherfuck in practice but when the games start, you're glad he's on your side. He's the guy who punches opposing DL and LBs in the dick and doesn't get caught. He's the guy who knows when to take selective cheap shot at the opposing DL who ran past one of our younger lineman, sacked our QB, and is dancing around in the backfield. He's smart enough to do it early in the game so it doesn't hurt his team.

I'm not sure that guy is on our roster today.
    This sounds exactly like Olin Kreutz. What we wouldn't give for a guy like that?!

Shit just saw someone posted this already...