Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We need bigger guys

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Throwing into the flat is always risky when a blitz is coming. That throw gets picked all the time, or at least gets the RB murdered 4 yards behind the LOS.

We all saw Jake Locker beat the blitz dozens of times with a quick slant throw. I haven't seen Browning do it once, all year long. So, fuck our fucking OC. It's on that POS as much as Jake.

I repeat: Smiff is fucking ruining Jake Browning, right before our eyes.

I did notice a lot of our pass plays were long developing. Very few safe throws to the TE, slants, drags, short curls.
    TEs were kept in to block ...

Slants are dangerous and difficult against defenses that are playing inside leverage with LBs looking to undercut those routes ...

Drags are even longer developing than slants and face the same challenges ... they are great against zones but not great against man coverage when the guys you are trying to get the ball to on the drag are getting doubled ...

Curls may be the worst idea since the CB is taking away the inside release and then playing under the rest of the route ... they tried a few of those throws to Ross and most were closer to being picked off than completed.
    I don't even know where to begin. You know very little about football. Way to cherry pick everything to fit your narrative of why each type of throw would be bad.

The slants were dangerous but every one of them was forced to Ross.

Not every curl has to be a long throw to the outside.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

That play is a missed assignment. The protection call was wrong or someone simply didn't pick up the blitzing linebacker.

The overall point is valid, but that play has nothing to do with size.

I think the reference was to a play
    earlier in the game in which Allen
    absolutely rag dolled Harris. I mean
    he threw him aside like he was a 20
    lb sack of potatoes. Great experience
    for Harris to play against that kind of caliber
    though. All conference potential at center
    in a couple of years.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Throwing into the flat is always risky when a blitz is coming. That throw gets picked all the time, or at least gets the RB murdered 4 yards behind the LOS.

We all saw Jake Locker beat the blitz dozens of times with a quick slant throw. I haven't seen Browning do it once, all year long. So, fuck our fucking OC. It's on that POS as much as Jake.

I did notice a lot of our pass plays were long developing. Very few safe throws to the TE, slants, drags, short curls.

Slants are dangerous and difficult against defenses that are playing inside leverage with LBs looking to undercut those routes ...

Drags are even longer developing than slants and face the same challenges ... they are great against zones but not great against man coverage when the guys you are trying to get the ball to on the drag are getting doubled ...

Curls may be the worst idea since the CB is taking away the inside release and then playing under the rest of the route ... they tried a few of those throws to Ross and most were closer to being picked off than completed.
    I don't even know where to begin. You know very little about football. Way to cherry pick everything to fit your narrative of why each type of throw would be bad.

Doog Comeback Narrative: You don't know anything about football ...

Ranks right up there with "you never played football" ...

Congratulations on that fucktard ...

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Weight wise size is fine but they look fat and out of shape compared to Bama.

Did you watch the game? Our RG is 6"1 and weighs about 260 pounds. How is that size and weigh fine by your standards?

Sedici said:

Did you watch the game? Our RG is 6"1 and weighs about 260 pounds. How is that size and weigh fine by your standards?
    Yeah I was actually at the game. I was trying to be nice. Bama just has more usable weight. They have best strength and conditioning coach in the country.
    You are a fucking moron.

It's rare bodies and ROIDS you dumbshit.
    Roids? Yeah ok. I agree the caliber players recruited at Bama are genetic freaks but saying roids, that's what smaller inferior people say.
    We are inferior small people. Smart, small inferior people take roads and become superior big people. Thats what Dawgs do.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2017
    >

You also have our former head coach calling your plays in the title game. He's the guy that fucked up recruiting so badly we were stuck starting an 18 year old 270 pound guard.
  • Options
    doogie said:

whuggy said:

That play is a missed assignment. The protection call was wrong or someone simply didn't pick up the blitzing linebacker.

in a couple of years.
    Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Yeah I was actually at the game. I was trying to be nice. Bama just has more usable weight. They have best strength and conditioning coach in the country.
    You also have our former head coach calling your plays in the title game. He's the guy that fucked up recruiting so badly we were stuck starting an 18 year old 270 pound guard.
    This is year 3 for Pete ... starting an 18 year old 270 pound guard is on him ...

Starting Miley Cyrus in Year 1 ... that's on Sark.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2017
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

You don't though. A "drag" is a route often meant to be used against man coverage. You saying otherwise was a big red flag. You find gaps in zones. Water is wet.

Sorry to go High Millen on you, but your analysis sucks.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

doogie said:

whuggy said:

in a couple of years.
    Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

This is year 3 for Pete ... starting an 18 year old 270 pound guard is on him ...

Starting Miley Cyrus in Year 1 ... that's on Sark.
    Alternatives?
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

You don't though. A "drag" is a route often meant to be used against man coverage. You saying otherwise was a big red flag.

I know what a drag route is fucktard ...

Go back and look at the film of the game ... anytime you had Ross coming across the field on a drag or cross he was picked up and double covered by a LB ... that's what makes Alabama so good defensively is that they are able to do things that few, if any, other teams can do.

If you think it's realistic to run a drag route against a CB that is preventing an inside release and LBs that are looking to pick up those middle routes that have enough speed to run with the WR crossing the field then perhaps you are more qualified than Smith. What I saw in person was that those routes weren't available for us to run ...

Now, if you want to talk about running outs or perhaps in/out routes into space that's another story.

But my guess is that we were really trying to avoid throwing outs because a miss there turned into a pick 6 ...
  • Options
    Thank God for Nick Harris. He's gonna be a fucking beast once he starts shaving.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

You don't though. A "drag" is a route often meant to be used against man coverage. You saying otherwise was a big red flag.

Go back and look at the film of the game ... anytime you had Ross coming across the field on a drag or cross he was picked up and double covered by a LB ... that's what makes Alabama so good defensively is that they are able to do things that few, if any, other teams can do.

If you think it's realistic to run a drag route against a CB that is preventing an inside release and LBs that are looking to pick up those middle routes that have enough speed to run with the WR crossing the field then perhaps you are more qualified than Smith. What I saw in person was that those routes weren't available for us to run ...

Now, if you want to talk about running outs or perhaps in/out routes into space that's another story.

But my guess is that we were really trying to avoid throwing outs because a miss there turned into a pick 6 ...
    Better effort. That said, route combos matter. The bottom line seemed to be that there was no trust in anyone other than Ross to get open. Even on some balls he caught, he was doubled.

Combine that with an overmatched OL, a pants shitting QB, and general intolerance for 1-2 yard runs, and we got what we deserved.
  • Options
    SediciSedici Member Posts: 51
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic First Comment
    Baseman said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

You are a fucking moron.

Roids? Yeah ok. I agree the caliber players recruited at Bama are genetic freaks but saying roids, that's what smaller inferior people say.
    We are inferior small people. Smart, small inferior people take roads and become superior big people. Thats what Dawgs do.
    Well contrary to what the left coast thinks, there are actually smart people all over this country. My point was, just pointing at someone bigger than you and saying they must be on steroids is a little weak. Bama guys under Saban have no rival with how hard they work. And yes, they recruit genetically gifted athletes.
  • Options
    Just none in Alabama
  • Options
    doogie said:

Just none in Alabama

Haha
  • Options
    doogie said:

Just none in Alabama

I'm sure you voted for Hillary too. Also, after Hillary lost and Seattle rioted like little snowflakes and set cars on fire, I'm sure you realized you were burning cars of like-minded liberals right?
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Better effort. That said, route combos matter. The bottom line seemed to be that there was no trust in anyone other than Ross to get open. Even on some balls he caught, he was doubled.

Combine that with an overmatched OL, a pants shitting QB, and general intolerance for 1-2 yard runs, and we got what we deserved.
    Hence why I have been saying that changing the OC wasn't going to change the outcome ... our players didn't match up against their players ...

Yes route concepts matter ... but Ross is the only WR that we have that has some kind of physical advantage against Alabama ... and they knew it ... and the only advantage he has is speed ... he's not bigger/stronger/taller than Alabama's DBs. For example, Chico was 100% invisible and a non-factor.

If I go into detail about route concepts, why certain routes weren't working, etc., then the response is TL, DR. If I keep it brief I get called out for not knowing what I'm talking about. In the end, you basically made the point that I've been making for the last few days yet you've spent how many posts walking yourself to that conclusion?

I realize that you're preconditioned to assume that if I say it it must be wrong ... it just might actually be right some of the times.

And in case you haven't noticed, most of my comments towards you are when you either come after something that I say or you say something so incredibly doogish that I call you out on it (given the years of calling me out that you've done - even though in hindsight I've been way more spot on than you'd care to admit). Otherwise, I leave you the fuck alone.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    While I'm thrilled to start a bitch-fest between Roady and Teq, there's a larger point I'm trying to make, which is that our OC spends too much time on the complicated stuff while sacrificing the basic, fundamental go-to's that every team needs, like a slant route that's been run all season long, not to tip off opposing defenses, but to get your team to practice it's execution and timing against the mediocre teams so you have it in your arsenal against the better teams.

How many slant routes did we see this year against blitzes? Seriously.

@Tequila: I get your point that Bama covers everything well. Got it. In spades. But WR's have to BATTLE dbs, not SURRENDER the field to them, unless you're content giving up half your playbook. Good teams have to run plays against other good teams even when they know what's coming, to see who prevails in the one-on-one matchups. Weak or pussy teams will do what Smiff does, and try to run or pass away from the pressure. Deception is the order of the day because he seems to lack confidence in his players.

The point is that Smiffy overcomplicated our playbook all season long, which matters not against ASU or even WSU, but really matters against the SC's the Colorado's and obviously, Bama. I don't recall seeing a single slant to a WR - not a TE - but a WR, like we saw Locker hit Kearse on, numerous times a game and season against blitzes. Where the fuck is that play? You really think it shouldn't be run b/c a LB might cover it? Fuck that shit. We need aggressive WRs who can fight for a ball and take a hit. Otherwise, burn it all down, 'cause what's the fucking point?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

THIS! GODDAMN FUCKING THIS!!
  • Options
    Sedici said:

Baseman said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

Sedici said:

You are a fucking moron.

Well contrary to what the left coast thinks, there are actually smart people all over this country. My point was, just pointing at someone bigger than you and saying they must be on steroids is a little weak. Bama guys under Saban have no rival with how hard they work. And yes, they recruit genetically gifted athletes.
    I don't recall anyone claiming Bama players are on Roids. I do recall saying our guys need Roids and they do.