Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hugh thinks

Comments

• Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    We should try to run the football up the middle. If it doesn't work, try it some more. At the very least, it should setup a play-action pass at some point for a big gain.

Personally, I like the idea of taking care of the football and having our 2 RBs' legs constantly churning against that defense. I feel like we can tire that defense out if they keep needing 2 or 3 guys to bring down our RBs. Even if their elite defensive line guys get penetration (lol), Gaskin is always good for a run or two where he can juke the first defender and get to the second level.

I don't know shit about football, though, so take what I say with a few pounds of salt.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

doogie said:

If we run we're toast. No shot, he says.

We need line of scrimmage reads, pre- determined routes and quick release passes into space.

In other words, Hugh thinks that in order to have any shot at winning, we need to run Mike Leach''s offense and play like Cuogs???

Just out of curiosity, what would be your plan of attack against Bama? You're not going to be able to run it up the middle on them, they're too fast to run it east/west, and you won't have enough time to throw it deep. The quick pass game seems to me to be your best shot of moving the ball against them. I don't agree with much of what Hugh says but we're not going to impose our will on Bama in the run game
    You have to try and run it....even if 2nd and 8 everytime. Better than 2nd and 10 or worse.
    Hugh's plan to me gets a lot of batted down balls in Jake's face or incompletions as their db's crowd/jump routes.

We are dead if we go inc./run/inc. and took a minute off the clock doing it.

Except for USC, every team should have tried to shorten the game against us, but since this is the defense optional Pac-12 most teams didn't try and we blew them out.

For us to win the game in a 21-17 or 24-21 scenario where defense and special teams make the difference the time of possession must be in our favor or a wash.

2nd and 8 after a two yard run is okay, as is run/run/throw it in the seats series on offense. Hugh's scenario of Jake throwing it 50 times means it's a blow out, although he's right that Jake has to have the ball out of his hands within 2 seconds of getting the snap on passing plays.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    godawgst said:

Hugh's plan to me gets a lot of batted down balls in Jake's face or incompletions as their db's crowd/jump routes.

We are dead if we go inc./run/inc. and took a minute off the clock doing it.

I agree. It would be like Denver's offense in Super Bowl XLVIII. Luckily, we have a defense as well, so I don't see us needing to score a ton of points.

Run the ball...RUN THE FUCKING BALL!!!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Also, I disagree with the thread title.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    @89ute

You are pretty much spot on with my thoughts ... there's definitely opportunities that we have to get the ball to our play makers in space. There are things that we can do with formations, shifts, etc that can dramatically change what we do and cause confusion with the Alabama defense.

The spread argument is an interesting one to me. You have to run the ball for a number of reasons ... but the benefits aren't necessarily in the run game. Everything with the Alabama defense starts with stopping the run. When you look at the SEC this year in their games against the conference, 4 teams run the ball over 60% of the time and only Ole threw it more than they ran it. For as much as the numbers say to run the ball on Bama, SEC teams run it still 50/50 basically on them. And if you go through the game by game numbers with the spread teams, it's not clear that the teams that run spread are the ones that run it the best. What the spread does though is it forces Alabama to be more direct in dictating its defense because they are definitely a team that trends to bringing 5 or 6 against QBs that they believe can beat them as Saban knows that if you give a talented QB/WR combination time to make throws they will make them against even the best secondary.

I think that there's a misnomer about the short passing game. Because Alabama is always bringing numbers and expects to generate pressure, they will sit on short routes. If you run quick outs you're liable to get one picked. Early in the game LSU hit Bama with a deep throw on a 3rd and long ... if you look at that play Bama didn't even have a safety deep ... they played the sticks. So there are opportunities. But you have to create space and openings. Just lining up and thinking that our Jimmy is going to beat their Joe isn't a recipe for success.

What I think we can do effectively with tempo though is that if we get a personnel grouping on the field that we find advantageous, we have the ability to be very multiple with the same positional grouping and can keep them from getting substitutions.

And yes, there I'm sure will be a lot of talk about the opportunities that we have on the podcast.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The fastest way to lose to Bama is to abandon the run and start forcing the pass game.

RUN.THE.BALL.

Change tempo. Shift formations. Play field position.

Going full Leach with Brownsocks is recipe for disaster.

Tommy, there are reasons women hover in the kitchen during ball games. One, thats their place in life...two, they dont know anything about football or care to learn. Shut the flying fuck up with this nonsense and work on your bbq little smokies with the rest of the HH wives Pumpy just got done spraying on. I gotta be careful with you being in there though. Yikes!!! Just stick to controlling the hood fan. If I cum in get the hell outta there. You dont want a spritzer in the kisser and I dont wanna give you one. Hard to tell with your implants and progesterone treatments. Hopefully Jeramy will get you out the kitchen b4 Pup cums lookin for a mama to squeeze.
    Not surprised you agree with Hugh.

At all.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Balanced offense with short, screen type passes to Ross and McClatcher. The way to beat any great defense is to keep them off balance. We probably need a wrinkle like TE's more involved or constantly moving Ross around as a decoy.

Flagged for thinking that the key to beating Alabama is with the short screen game to WRs ... that's Sark level stupidity. I will give you though that I think one area where we could find ways to exploit them a bit is with some diverse screen options where we use the speed of our OL to get to the perimeter and away from the middle of their defense. But we will need to run some screens that don't show up anywhere on our film and things that haven't really shown up on Bama's film.

Pay attention to what they do on defense ... they attack on defense with their front 7 and because they have such a huge trust on getting to the QB that their DBs focus on taking away short and intermediate routes. You will also see that a lot of the big plays that are hit over the top of them the offense is able to get 1 on 1 situations as unlike us where we really focus on making sure nobody gets behind at least one of our safeties ... it's not uncommon to see Alabama's 2 safeties have their responsibilities on a play defined as 1 safety playing man coverage over a blitzing slot corner and the other sitting over the middle of the field in a robber situation.

I do agree with you that the use of the TEs in the passing game will be very critical for us in this game and taking advantage of Daniels and his athleticism could be a nice little source of offense as he has the potential in space to rip up some big gains ... Alabama has struggled at times with athletic TEs like Evan Engram from Ole Miss and Jordan Leggett from Clemson.

We can't win the game if Ross is simply a decoy ... he has to be a major factor for us to win as both being a perceived threat and an actual threat. We will need to find ways to get him the ball in ways that Alabama may not be used to getting it. Saban has part of his coaching tree coming from Belichick and one of the hallmarks of that is that he'll scheme to take your biggest weapon away from you. I would anticipate that there will be a heavy emphasis from them in making sure that there is a safety over the top shaded over to the top. I don't think that they'll play a lot of soft coverages on him because we've shown on tape that when you do that Ross will take the easy out and what comes with that. We haven't shown a diversified passing game so that will be important to get targets from other places. We'll also need to get Ross into situations where he's running across the formation whether it be drags, jet sweeps, etc. where we can get the eyes of the defense focused on him while getting somebody else going the opposite direction into a voided space. But we need to also be in positions where we can scheme our way into getting Ross in a position where he can get a big play because we'll need to get the explosive play to get scores ... long fields will likely not be the plan to success.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,986
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

doogie said:

If we run we're toast. No shot, he says.

We need line of scrimmage reads, pre- determined routes and quick release passes into space.

In other words, Hugh thinks that in order to have any shot at winning, we need to run Mike Leach''s offense and play like Cuogs???

Just out of curiosity, what would be your plan of attack against Bama? You're not going to be able to run it up the middle on them, they're too fast to run it east/west, and you won't have enough time to throw it deep. The quick pass game seems to me to be your best shot of moving the ball against them. I don't agree with much of what Hugh says but we're not going to impose our will on Bama in the run game
    You have to beat them by using motion/formations to your advantage to create advantageous situations.

You have to get them to react instead of dictate.

Their entire defense is built on stopping the run, getting pressure on the QB, and pressing short/intermediate routes because they don't expect to have to cover long.

I fully expect that they will pay a lot of attention to John Ross.

We need to be able to break our tendencies and that includes getting the ball out quickly ...

We need to find ways to get Gaskin the ball in space in situations ... this will happen in the passing game not the running game.

We will need to find opportunities to get Daniels the ball ... athletic TEs have given Bama some problems.

But most importantly, we need to be content with the idea that we're not going to win the game through our offense. We're going to win the game through defense and special teams. If there's a recurring theme(s) in the last 5 years, it's the following 2 things:

1) Turnovers Margin
    2) Very poor day for Bama kicking FGs

We need to be smart enough when it's 4th and 3 at the 38 to punt the ball inside the 10.

We need to be smart enough to know when picking up 8-10 yards on a 3rd and 20 is a potential free first down on our next possession.

We need to make sure we protect the ball at all costs ... look at what LSU did this year simply by not turning the ball over and relying on their defense ... scoreless into the 4th quarter.

We need to have a field position changing play in special teams ... Van Winkle needs to be the best kicker on the field (enough said about that) ... and we can't allow a punt block.

We need to play an A or A+ level game for us and force Alabama into something more in their B or C range. We have a lot of pieces that will give us at least a punchers chance.
    Defense and special teams yes. Almost liked this post.

Punting inside the opponents 40. Fucking flagged. Is it fucking Friday yet?
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I like the idea of spreading bama out and hitting them with quick slants and short passes. But you can't just go down without giving them your best shot. The 2 tight ends power run game needs to be a part of the game plan. I think uw can churn out 80 on 25 carries
  • Options
    Imploding? Not even close ...

Agree that we have to move Ross around ..

But we need to be able to out scheme them in some matchups. Lining up and running our best against their best won't work ... we MUST do things that break against our tendencies and preferably different than anything others have showed for them
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Balanced offense with short, screen type passes to Ross and McClatcher. The way to beat any great defense is to keep them off balance. We probably need a wrinkle like TE's more involved or constantly moving Ross around as a decoy.

Flagged for thinking that the key to beating Alabama is with the short screen game to WRs ... that's Sark level stupidity. I will give you though that I think one area where we could find ways to exploit them a bit is with some diverse screen options where we use the speed of our OL to get to the perimeter and away from the middle of their defense. But we will need to run some screens that don't show up anywhere on our film and things that haven't really shown up on Bama's film.

Pay attention to what they do on defense ... they attack on defense with their front 7 and because they have such a huge trust on getting to the QB that their DBs focus on taking away short and intermediate routes. You will also see that a lot of the big plays that are hit over the top of them the offense is able to get 1 on 1 situations as unlike us where we really focus on making sure nobody gets behind at least one of our safeties ... it's not uncommon to see Alabama's 2 safeties have their responsibilities on a play defined as 1 safety playing man coverage over a blitzing slot corner and the other sitting over the middle of the field in a robber situation.

I do agree with you that the use of the TEs in the passing game will be very critical for us in this game and taking advantage of Daniels and his athleticism could be a nice little source of offense as he has the potential in space to rip up some big gains ... Alabama has struggled at times with athletic TEs like Evan Engram from Ole Miss and Jordan Leggett from Clemson.

We can't win the game if Ross is simply a decoy ... he has to be a major factor for us to win as both being a perceived threat and an actual threat. We will need to find ways to get him the ball in ways that Alabama may not be used to getting it. Saban has part of his coaching tree coming from Belichick and one of the hallmarks of that is that he'll scheme to take your biggest weapon away from you. I would anticipate that there will be a heavy emphasis from them in making sure that there is a safety over the top shaded over to the top. I don't think that they'll play a lot of soft coverages on him because we've shown on tape that when you do that Ross will take the easy out and what comes with that. We haven't shown a diversified passing game so that will be important to get targets from other places. We'll also need to get Ross into situations where he's running across the formation whether it be drags, jet sweeps, etc. where we can get the eyes of the defense focused on him while getting somebody else going the opposite direction into a voided space. But we need to also be in positions where we can scheme our way into getting Ross in a position where he can get a big play because we'll need to get the explosive play to get scores ... long fields will likely not be the plan to success.
    You're imploding dude. Just meant moving Ross around because Bama will account for him. Moving him around could exploit a bad match up. We run screens and quick hitters to McClatcher every game. It will probably be explored.

We're just armchair QBing here. Can you post a longer, more informative rebuttal?
    Yup. Move Ross all over. Gotta get the TE involved down the seam too. Havent showed it a lot. Daniels speed vs a backer could produce key 1st downs.

Cannot run or throw horizontally. Bam way too fast. Screens to Gaskin and Coleman are an absolute must. We havent proven able to have one develop in 3 years though. Better be working on it. Have to counter Allens upward mobility and ability
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,940
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Establish the run. Our line actually is good for the first time in way too long. Then try intermediate passes, especially if they're on zone. That seems to be money. Obviously it's easier vs. kal than bammer, but it will still work.