Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Softy interview w/ Ryan Fowler

Comments

• montyfranklynmontyfranklyn Member Posts: 119
    dnc said:

You played two FCS teams wrong, we both played one, but we did play one more Power 5 opponent than you did and a bunch of teams with average QBs yourselves, outside of USC and Utah fuck you're an idiot and maybe Wazzu (why do you hate Cal?). Not counting Colorado because that kid had to leave the game also he sucks . You also play against in a league that has far inferior talent not at QB. How many NFL caliber guys are you strong finish there, you're good at this internet thing

Chad Kelly is an NFL caliber QB so don't let that fact get lost. Yes he is. So are Darnold, Webb and Falk. 3 > 1. hth He did throw his last TD in garbage time to cut the lead. If you want to call making it a 5 point game with 3 minutes left in a game with 90 total points "garbage time", sure, good call.

Cal isn't good and you know they aren't. You think they are because the beat Texas?
    My mistake on the two FCS teams. I honestly thought you guys played Idaho State. My bad
    Those QBs look better because there aren't a lot of great front 7s in the PAC.
    - Any QB can complete a high percentage of passes when they have a lot of time to throw
    - There is some talent in the PAC, don't get me wrong. There just isn't one team that can compare to an LSU defensively, other than USC.
    Budda Baker and Sidney Jones are both great players, I just don't think they are better than what we have. They are just as good, but not better, therefore I don't think they would start. They'd definitely be getting heavy playing time.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    salemcoog said:

HuskyJW said:

Alexis said:

Another guy from Alabama radio on Finebaum I think said not one player on UW's team would start on Alabama. I'm hoping the team actually thinks that also, though I figure Saban may check the film a little better.

With all due respect, who at Washington could actually start at Bama over a current starter? Maybe your RG and Browning, but that's all I can think of. There is definitely no one that would unseat any of our defensive starters.
    Your secondary is your weakness, and UW has arguably the best secondary in the country. Start looking there.
    Might as well not even play the game then.
    Deal.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited December 2016

Cal isn't good and you know they aren't. You think they are because the beat Texas?
    My mistake on the two FCS teams. I honestly thought you guys played Idaho State. My bad
    - Any QB can complete a high percentage of passes when they have a lot of time to throw
    - There is some talent in the PAC, don't get me wrong. There just isn't one team that can compare to an LSU defensively, other than USC.
    Budda Baker and Sidney Jones are both great players, I just don't think they are better than what we have. They are just as good, but not better, therefore I don't think they would start. They'd definitely be getting heavy playing time.

I didn't say Cal was a good team. They suck.

They do have a good QB though, which was the context of the comment. Better than anyone Bama faced besides Kelly.

You're an idiot about secondary play.
    dnc said:

They do have a good QB though, which was the context of the comment. Better than anyone Bama faced besides Kelly.

No, I'm actually spot on. If you go and look at the numbers you'd see that teams tend to throw on Bama more than anyone else. Most people think it is because of our secondary being more vulnerable, but it isn't. The truth is that because they can't run, they tend to get into more 2nd and 3rd and longs against Bama forcing them to throw in attempts to convert 1st downs. It is funny that you all point out the Arkansas game as an indicator, but fail to mention that Arkansas had the ball for 37 minutes, 37. Although they did try to run the ball, they threw it and unusual amount for them for a whopping 8 yards per completion and one TD.

Alabama's secondary isn't the best in the country, but it is far from being as weak as some try to make it out to be.

Although the transitive property isn't the end all be all, it does hold merit. Washington struggles when they face better defenses as every team does, we saw this in the USC game. Well Bama has a very good defense. Bama defense strives on facing pro style teams as well. The last time Bama lost to a pro style team was in 2011. Bama can also spread you out on defense and pound you hard with 3 running backs and a strong, fast QB. While Bama hasn't seen a QB as good as Browning, Washington hasn't seen a team as deep as Bama's

Stanford bet USC 27-10. UW beat Stanford 44-6. UW was not 55 points better than USC and that was proven.

UW beat Arizona 35-28. WSU beat Arizona 69-7. UW beat WSU 45-17. Get the point?
    Yea, as I said it isn't the end all be all. Is just a part of an indicator. The circumstances of each game are not the same, but data from each game, when compiled, can give a clear picture and allows you to go back and reference common opponents and such.
  • AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774

Although the transitive property isn't the end all be all, it does hold merit. Washington struggles when they face better defenses as every team does, we saw this in the USC game. Well Bama has a very good defense. Bama defense strives on facing pro style teams as well. The last time Bama lost to a pro style team was in 2011. Bama can also spread you out on defense and pound you hard with 3 running backs and a strong, fast QB. While Bama hasn't seen a QB as good as Browning, Washington hasn't seen a team as deep as Bama's

Stanford bet USC 27-10. UW beat Stanford 44-6. UW was not 55 points better than USC and that was proven.

UW beat Arizona 35-28. WSU beat Arizona 69-7. UW beat WSU 45-17. Get the point?
    Yea, as I said it isn't the end all be all. Is just a part of an indicator. The circumstances of each game are not the same, but data from each game, when compiled, can give a clear picture and allows you to go back and reference common opponents and such.
    You do realize that you keep saying the same thing in every one of your posts, right?

This fucking thread ...
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Alabama's defensive scheme in the secondary focuses on pressuring the underneath routes and holding the sticks on 3rd downs ... definitely NFL concepts.

As the LSU game showed early, there are opportunities to go deep in 3rd down situations.

Alabama has a ton of talent particularly on defense. It has also been aided on how down the SEC is this year ... the QB play outside of Kelly and Allen has been beyond mediocre ... when I watch tape I see a lot of really bad fundamental plays. Take the first 5 minutes of the LSU game to see lunging missed blocks and broken fundamentals by the LSU offense and special teams.

Washington will need to play at or close to their best to have a shot to beat Alabama ... but there are opportunities there to move the ball. And whether any Alabama fan wants to admit this or not, LSU provided the blue print on slowing down the Bama offense ... we have a lot of similar parts ... the biggest difference is our edge players who need to play their best games to give a chance
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

No, I'm actually spot on. If you go and look at the numbers you'd see that teams tend to throw on Bama more than anyone else. Most people think it is because of our secondary being more vulnerable, but it isn't. The truth is that because they can't run, they tend to get into more 2nd and 3rd and longs against Bama forcing them to throw in attempts to convert 1st downs. It is funny that you all point out the Arkansas game as an indicator, but fail to mention that Arkansas had the ball for 37 minutes, 37. Although they did try to run the ball, they threw it and unusual amount for them for a whopping 8 yards per completion and one TD.

Alabama's secondary isn't the best in the country, but it is far from being as weak as some try to make it out to be.
    I never said it's weak, find a new strawman.

You're the dumbass who said no one from UW's secondary would start at Bama.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Tequilla said:

Alabama's defensive scheme in the secondary focuses on pressuring the underneath routes and holding the sticks on 3rd downs ... definitely NFL concepts.

As the LSU game showed early, there are opportunities to go deep in 3rd down situations.

Alabama has a ton of talent particularly on defense. It has also been aided on how down the SEC is this year ... the QB play outside of Kelly and Allen has been beyond mediocre ... when I watch tape I see a lot of really bad fundamental plays. Take the first 5 minutes of the LSU game to see lunging missed blocks and broken fundamentals by the LSU offense and special teams.

Washington will need to play at or close to their best to have a shot to beat Alabama ... but there are opportunities there to move the ball. And whether any Alabama fan wants to admit this or not, LSU provided the blue print on slowing down the Bama offense ... we have a lot of similar parts ... the biggest difference is our edge players who need to play their best games to give a chance

El oh El. Fuck o dear.
    Golves off.
    Tequilla said:

Pretty solid analysis. I think Peterson will have to take the approach Nuss took for the first half against Bama. Get the ball out quick and inch it down the field. I don't think the long developing plays are going to work against Bama with the front seven being so good. I noticed someone mention the RG position being a little shaky. That may spell trouble with Tomlinson and Allen playing the inside. If Washington's line can hold up for 4 quarters it can definitely give the Huskies a chance late in the game. On the other side, Washington's front seven has to be able to hold up for 4 quarters as well. With Washington's strong point defensively being its secondary, I would keep them out of the game by just establishing the run early and sticking with it. We all know that Lane is too stubborn and stupid to do this, so I expect Washington to get at least one pick early.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    This post is for our Bama visitor regarding UW and how they match/fit with what Bama does. Most of this stuff will be something that will probably be discussed at length when we record the next edition of the TSIO Podcast next week ... so if you don't like the length of this post, then FUCK OFF!!! and don't read anymore.

It will be important for UW to put themselves in positions where they always have a check down option(s) for Jake to get rid of the ball in a hurry. 4-5 yard gains against Alabama keep you ahead of the sticks ... that's important. LSU is actually a very important game to watch because it shows what happens when you have a good defense coupled with an offense that does not give Alabama EASY scoring opportunities. That's a good blue print for figuring out how you can stay competitive against Alabama. LSU's biggest problem in that game was that their offense and in particular the QB position was so inept that Alabama didn't respect the passing game much at all and was able to focus on the run game. UW is by far more balanced ... I don't think it's close to a stretch to say that they are the most balanced team Alabama has played all year by a long shot. That will cause some issues for Alabama.

Another thing I've noticed when watching some of the Ole Miss game is that Alabama almost always brings a slot corner or a MLB (or both) in a blitz situation against teams that spread them out. It not only helps to slow down any run situations that may come, but allows the secondary to squat on routes and not be concerned about plays down the field. Picking up those blitzes and giving a pocket will be critical because IF you can get situations where the WRs are 1 on 1 versus the Alabama secondary, you do have opportunities to create some chunk plays. And, the blitzes that Alabama runs really aren't that hard to figure out where they are coming from. They tend to tip the blitz location.

For UW, the LT, LG, and RT are good enough to compete at this level. In the USC game, the LG was coming back from an injury and I do question how healthy he was. We "hopefully" learned a few things from that game that can help us going forward. UW's 2 most basic formations that they run are 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB and 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. Alabama is very strong when you get them in a position where they line up and are able to easily identify their responsibilities. A staple of Chris Petersen's offenses though are shifts and motions and I suspect that we'll try to use those situations to either out-flank or confuse the Alabama defense and get a bust in their assignments. UW has at least 3 TEs that they rotate into the game that all are very good run blockers with Darrell Daniels a potential option if they decide to use him in the passing game (which I think could work very well for UW in this game). I expect our line to be in positions where we will be chipping at least one of the edge rushers each time with the TE before releasing ... the TE releasing should quiet some of the middle blitzes from Alabama. I'd expect the C + RG to combo block a fair amount and our RBs often stay in to block so I'd expect that whichever guard isn't being helped with combo blocking will get focus from the RB.

Alabama is very well coached and very fundamentally sound (that shows up big time compared to other SEC teams and the mistakes that they tend to make play after play). It will be important to use some of that against them by going against tendencies from time to time. To slow Alabama down defensively, you have to get them in a position where they are thinking versus reacting and getting them to question what it is that they are seeing. IF Washington can be successful in this, then you have yourself a ball game.

Defensively, the 3 DTs for Washington (Gaines, Qualls, and Vea) are stout and will be a handful for the Alabama middle run game. As others have noted here, the secondary will be as good as any that Alabama has seen this year. Budda Baker is as good of a safety as there is in the country. The weakness to the defense is at the OLB positions. To slow Alabama's offense down, you have to make Hurts a passer. Kiffin tries to limit the exposure of Hurts by giving him a lot of quick throws and screens to get the ball out and into the hands of playmakers. We're very familiar with that with Kiffin and Sark being from the same tree. The quick WR screens will be hard pressed to work against Jones/King on the outside ... as good of a CB tandem as Alabama has seen all year and one of the best in the nation. Not only are they good in coverage, but they are excellent tacklers particularly in the quick WR screen game. The defense has gotten better since they moved Taylor Rapp in to play S and moved Budda more into a slot corner/rover type of role. IF and this is a big IF Washington can keep Hurts from beating them with his legs, then Washington should be able to limit Alabama's offense.

You've noted in a few different areas looking at yardage totals as a measure of the UW defense and specifically cited certain games and yardage totals. One thing you have to understand about the PAC is that teams here like to push play totals upwards of 80-100 on a game by game basis. It's important to look at things from a yard per play basis when looking at the running and passing games. And I also think it's important to look at things from a conference only or P5 only standpoint versus your entire schedule because the entire schedule can be skewed by a few overmatched opponents.

Washington in conference has given up 4 yards per carry in the run game. The games where UW has given up over 4 yards per carry are as follows:

Arizona: 43 for 308 (7.2 yards per carry)
    Oregon: 43 for 230 (5.3 yards per carry)
    Oregon St: 30 for 177 (5.9 yards per carry)
    Utah: 47 for 213 (4.5 yards per carry)

The Arizona game is unique and probably what they do is most similar to what Auburn runs in that the QB is a massive running threat. 176 of those yards came from Arizona's QB ... which is why I said that the biggest obstacle in this game for the UW defense is stopping Hurts in the run game. There's a lot of read option that Arizona runs and if there's a big weakness to the UW defense at times it is that it doesn't like to change what it does to start games. They will adjust at halftime if needed and against both Arizona and Utah the adjustments made really slowed down the opposition offense ... the only plays given up in the 2nd half to Arizona were really a couple of broken plays that hit big. Utah's run game dramatically slowed down in the 2nd half as we brought an extra body into the box and forced Utah to beat us with their passing game. The Oregon game was 70-21 ... I don't read a lot into that. And as for Oregon St, 75 of the 177 yards came on a jet sweep in the 2nd half of a blowout game ... although it was against the #1 defense ... a defense that came out very flat in the 2nd half.

In the last 5 games (Cal, USC, ASU, Wazzu, and Colorado), the yards per rush have been 3.7, 3.1, 0.6, 2.7, and 2.8.

I think even most SEC fans would admit that the QB play in the PAC is usually better than that in the SEC top to bottom in the conference. In conference games, Washington is allowing a completion percentage of 56.5%, 5.8 yards per attempt, and 10.3 yards per completion. In contrast, Alabama's numbers are 52.5% completion percentage against, 6.2 yards per attempt, and 11.9 yards per completion. If there's an area where you could look at the stats and question UW's secondary, it'd be in the completion percentage number as 6 times in 10 conference games have the opposition completed over 60% of their passes. But this also goes to show why completion percentage can be a very misleading stat because when you go back and watch the tape of UW, what you see from them is that they have no problem letting you check it down whether it be screens, rollouts, etc. What they do though extremely well is rally up and tackle those opportunities. Very rarely do you beat a team by making 15+ play drives going 80 yards ... somewhere along the line you're going to get a holding penalty or something to back you behind the sticks or you're going to try to push a pass, etc. that turns into a turnover ... which Washington has averaged over 2 turnovers per game the entire season (they've generated multiple turnovers in every game this season except for the 0 turnovers caused at Utah - hence why that game was relatively close).

The defenses that are probably most similar to UW in the SEC are LSU and maybe Florida ... and the funny thing when you look at those games is that Hurts wasn't really an effective passer:

LSU: 10 of 19 for 107 yards
    Florida: 11 of 20 for 138 yards

The keys for this game from a UW perspective:

1) Field Position: Limit turnovers and force Alabama to go a full field on a consistent basis
    2) Turnover Margin: +2 or better will give UW the chance to be in the game in the 4th quarter
    3) Bring the Alabama defense out of its comfort zone by emphasizing motion and shifts
    4) Contain Hurts in the running game and force him to win with his arm
    5) Special Teams: Must play at least even here

I definitely think that UW can stay within 2 TDs in this game. The computer models are saying that UW has about a 1 in 3 shot to win the game ... yet the money line in Vegas is UW +575 or thereabouts. That's a lot of value. The public perception is that Alabama is so elite that nobody is in their class ... my perception is that the SEC was a really bad league this year. Alabama is rightly the favorite ... they should be. But this will be a game.
    Tequilla said:

This post is for our Bama visitor regarding UW and how they match/fit with what Bama does. Most of this stuff will be something that will probably be discussed at length when we record the next edition of the TSIO Podcast next week ... so if you don't like the length of this post, then FUCK OFF!!! and don't read anymore.

It will be important for UW to put themselves in positions where they always have a check down option(s) for Jake to get rid of the ball in a hurry. 4-5 yard gains against Alabama keep you ahead of the sticks ... that's important. LSU is actually a very important game to watch because it shows what happens when you have a good defense coupled with an offense that does not give Alabama EASY scoring opportunities. That's a good blue print for figuring out how you can stay competitive against Alabama. LSU's biggest problem in that game was that their offense and in particular the QB position was so inept that Alabama didn't respect the passing game much at all and was able to focus on the run game. UW is by far more balanced ... I don't think it's close to a stretch to say that they are the most balanced team Alabama has played all year by a long shot. That will cause some issues for Alabama.

Another thing I've noticed when watching some of the Ole Miss game is that Alabama almost always brings a slot corner or a MLB (or both) in a blitz situation against teams that spread them out. It not only helps to slow down any run situations that may come, but allows the secondary to squat on routes and not be concerned about plays down the field. Picking up those blitzes and giving a pocket will be critical because IF you can get situations where the WRs are 1 on 1 versus the Alabama secondary, you do have opportunities to create some chunk plays. And, the blitzes that Alabama runs really aren't that hard to figure out where they are coming from. They tend to tip the blitz location.

For UW, the LT, LG, and RT are good enough to compete at this level. In the USC game, the LG was coming back from an injury and I do question how healthy he was. We "hopefully" learned a few things from that game that can help us going forward. UW's 2 most basic formations that they run are 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB and 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. Alabama is very strong when you get them in a position where they line up and are able to easily identify their responsibilities. A staple of Chris Petersen's offenses though are shifts and motions and I suspect that we'll try to use those situations to either out-flank or confuse the Alabama defense and get a bust in their assignments. UW has at least 3 TEs that they rotate into the game that all are very good run blockers with Darrell Daniels a potential option if they decide to use him in the passing game (which I think could work very well for UW in this game). I expect our line to be in positions where we will be chipping at least one of the edge rushers each time with the TE before releasing ... the TE releasing should quiet some of the middle blitzes from Alabama. I'd expect the C + RG to combo block a fair amount and our RBs often stay in to block so I'd expect that whichever guard isn't being helped with combo blocking will get focus from the RB.

Alabama is very well coached and very fundamentally sound (that shows up big time compared to other SEC teams and the mistakes that they tend to make play after play). It will be important to use some of that against them by going against tendencies from time to time. To slow Alabama down defensively, you have to get them in a position where they are thinking versus reacting and getting them to question what it is that they are seeing. IF Washington can be successful in this, then you have yourself a ball game.

Defensively, the 3 DTs for Washington (Gaines, Qualls, and Vea) are stout and will be a handful for the Alabama middle run game. As others have noted here, the secondary will be as good as any that Alabama has seen this year. Budda Baker is as good of a safety as there is in the country. The weakness to the defense is at the OLB positions. To slow Alabama's offense down, you have to make Hurts a passer. Kiffin tries to limit the exposure of Hurts by giving him a lot of quick throws and screens to get the ball out and into the hands of playmakers. We're very familiar with that with Kiffin and Sark being from the same tree. The quick WR screens will be hard pressed to work against Jones/King on the outside ... as good of a CB tandem as Alabama has seen all year and one of the best in the nation. Not only are they good in coverage, but they are excellent tacklers particularly in the quick WR screen game. The defense has gotten better since they moved Taylor Rapp in to play S and moved Budda more into a slot corner/rover type of role. IF and this is a big IF Washington can keep Hurts from beating them with his legs, then Washington should be able to limit Alabama's offense.

You've noted in a few different areas looking at yardage totals as a measure of the UW defense and specifically cited certain games and yardage totals. One thing you have to understand about the PAC is that teams here like to push play totals upwards of 80-100 on a game by game basis. It's important to look at things from a yard per play basis when looking at the running and passing games. And I also think it's important to look at things from a conference only or P5 only standpoint versus your entire schedule because the entire schedule can be skewed by a few overmatched opponents.

Washington in conference has given up 4 yards per carry in the run game. The games where UW has given up over 4 yards per carry are as follows:

Arizona: 43 for 308 (7.2 yards per carry)
    Oregon: 43 for 230 (5.3 yards per carry)
    Oregon St: 30 for 177 (5.9 yards per carry)
    Utah: 47 for 213 (4.5 yards per carry)

The Arizona game is unique and probably what they do is most similar to what Auburn runs in that the QB is a massive running threat. 176 of those yards came from Arizona's QB ... which is why I said that the biggest obstacle in this game for the UW defense is stopping Hurts in the run game. There's a lot of read option that Arizona runs and if there's a big weakness to the UW defense at times it is that it doesn't like to change what it does to start games. They will adjust at halftime if needed and against both Arizona and Utah the adjustments made really slowed down the opposition offense ... the only plays given up in the 2nd half to Arizona were really a couple of broken plays that hit big. Utah's run game dramatically slowed down in the 2nd half as we brought an extra body into the box and forced Utah to beat us with their passing game. The Oregon game was 70-21 ... I don't read a lot into that. And as for Oregon St, 75 of the 177 yards came on a jet sweep in the 2nd half of a blowout game ... although it was against the #1 defense ... a defense that came out very flat in the 2nd half.

In the last 5 games (Cal, USC, ASU, Wazzu, and Colorado), the yards per rush have been 3.7, 3.1, 0.6, 2.7, and 2.8.

I think even most SEC fans would admit that the QB play in the PAC is usually better than that in the SEC top to bottom in the conference. In conference games, Washington is allowing a completion percentage of 56.5%, 5.8 yards per attempt, and 10.3 yards per completion. In contrast, Alabama's numbers are 52.5% completion percentage against, 6.2 yards per attempt, and 11.9 yards per completion. If there's an area where you could look at the stats and question UW's secondary, it'd be in the completion percentage number as 6 times in 10 conference games have the opposition completed over 60% of their passes. But this also goes to show why completion percentage can be a very misleading stat because when you go back and watch the tape of UW, what you see from them is that they have no problem letting you check it down whether it be screens, rollouts, etc. What they do though extremely well is rally up and tackle those opportunities. Very rarely do you beat a team by making 15+ play drives going 80 yards ... somewhere along the line you're going to get a holding penalty or something to back you behind the sticks or you're going to try to push a pass, etc. that turns into a turnover ... which Washington has averaged over 2 turnovers per game the entire season (they've generated multiple turnovers in every game this season except for the 0 turnovers caused at Utah - hence why that game was relatively close).

The defenses that are probably most similar to UW in the SEC are LSU and maybe Florida ... and the funny thing when you look at those games is that Hurts wasn't really an effective passer:

LSU: 10 of 19 for 107 yards
    Florida: 11 of 20 for 138 yards

The keys for this game from a UW perspective:

1) Field Position: Limit turnovers and force Alabama to go a full field on a consistent basis
    2) Turnover Margin: +2 or better will give UW the chance to be in the game in the 4th quarter
    3) Bring the Alabama defense out of its comfort zone by emphasizing motion and shifts
    4) Contain Hurts in the running game and force him to win with his arm
    5) Special Teams: Must play at least even here

I definitely think that UW can stay within 2 TDs in this game. The computer models are saying that UW has about a 1 in 3 shot to win the game ... yet the money line in Vegas is UW +575 or thereabouts. That's a lot of value. The public perception is that Alabama is so elite that nobody is in their class ... my perception is that the SEC was a really bad league this year. Alabama is rightly the favorite ... they should be. But this will be a game.

Didn't read all of it, but solid.