Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How the modern recruiting game passed Oregon Ducks by

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tweeting will solve the Ducks recruiting issues. Yeah that's it.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    People get paid to write that shit?

Must be a low bar to be a paid sportswriter ...
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,923
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I love how the author uses the recent commitment of a guy Oregon wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole in previous years as proof that "Taggart has got it"
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

But for a program that celebrated and self-congratulated its own innovation, it's jarring that the downfall came from failing to grasp new-school recruiting tactics.

Like Grandpa with a new iPhone, Oregon couldn't figure out how it all worked.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Oregon recruiting tanked because the staff got cocky and didn't think they needed to work at it anymore. Also, Helfrich had zero personality without the genius tag Chip had. Not a great a strategy for national recruiting.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

"I think, especially in 2016 and beyond, that is going to be a huge part of how you recruit a kid," Scout National Director of Recruiting Brandon Huffman said. "How many times have we seen a kid say, 'Where are all my Nebraska followers at? Where are all my Michigan followers at?' I've had kids straight-up tell me a school made a top five because they added more followers. If you aren't doing that, you are going to find yourself on the outside looking in. You are going to get lapped."

Fuck those pussy recruits.

Great way to make a life decision!!!!!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

But for a program that celebrated and self-congratulated its own innovation, it's jarring that the downfall came from failing to grasp new-school recruiting tactics.

Like Grandpa Race with a new iPhone, Oregon couldn't figure out how it all worked.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,980
    Hookers and blow for recruits transcends all generations.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Must be a low bar to be a paid sportswriter ...

Steve Kelly says hi.

Oregon recruiting tanked because the staff got cocky and didn't think they needed to work at it anymore.

Seems like their network of paid scouting consultants street agents should have been able to help with this.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Baseman said:

Like Grandpa with a new iPhone, Oregon couldn't figure out how it all worked.

Race was there
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

When did Oregon recruiting really tank? They had top 25 classes every year until last year and even then they finished in the top 30. At their peak they were only pulling in borderline top 10 classes but still recruiting below the level they were playing at. Seems like people reaching for a narrative here.

Eye test. Their rankings may have been borderline top 10 but they were bringing in players clearly a cut above Bellotti. Part of that is also Chip developing

Helfrich apparently stopped the PEDs and is not bringing in the kind of badass player that made them two time first loser
    I think you should learn to read.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,816
    Swaye's Wigwam

When did Oregon recruiting really tank? They had top 25 classes every year until last year and even then they finished in the top 30. At their peak they were only pulling in borderline top 10 classes but still recruiting below the level they were playing at. Seems like people reaching for a narrative here.

Eye test. Their rankings may have been borderline top 10 but they were bringing in players clearly a cut above Bellotti. Part of that is also Chip developing

Helfrich apparently stopped the PEDs and is not bringing in the kind of badass player that made them two time first loser
    I think you should learn to read.
    Can someone tell me what is written here please? I need to learn to read
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Petersen tweeting a "Woof" each time he got a commit is the reason Oregon collapsed under Helfrich?

The irony is that Sark was the guy who started that "Woof" tweeting horseshit. And Oregon beat Sark like a drum.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Oregon recruiting tanked because the staff got cocky and didn't think they needed to work at it anymore. Also, Helfrich had zero personality without the genius tag Chip had. Not a great a strategy for national recruiting.

I think its because they sucked at evaluating and developing talent.

Just me though.