Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

GOP social security plan

Options
2»

Comments

• RaceBannon
    RaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,657 Swaye's Wigwam
    Options
    2001400ex said:

Thanks to government health care you don't have to worry about living to an old age

I hope government health care takes you out soon.
    Why don't you try it yourself, bitch?
  • UWhuskytskeet
    UWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    Options

Just a small step in the right direction of eliminating SS altogether.

Agreed. If you can't work as a 95 year old widowed grandmother, you should just kill yourself.

I have no problem with people providing financial assistance to a 95 year old widowed grandmother. I also have no problem with people planning for and saving up their own retirement so that they don't become old and poor. Just don't force people to do it. The use of force isn't the only solution.
    We saw what happens with voluntary pension plans during the great depression. SS was literally created in response to that failure.

I'm sure there are compounds in North Idaho you can join if you want to skip out on taxes.
  • doogie
    doogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Options
    Social Security was designed as a ponzi scheme to generate immediate tax revenue for the US Government while promising nebulous future benefits steeped in deep emotional arguments.
  • 2001400ex
    2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    doogie said:

Social Security was designed as a ponzi scheme to generate immediate tax revenue for the US Government while promising nebulous future benefits steeped in deep emotional arguments.

Future benefits are not nebulous. They are clearly defined.
  • dhdawg
    dhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Options
    Mosster47 said:

If they would stop paying out to people who don't deserve it and didn't earn it this wouldn't be a problem.

W tried to stop it from operating like a Ponzi Scheme, but he had a terrible idea for the vehicle and the fund would have almost vanished within a year of it's implementation when the economy crashed.

If they just had a fund that wasn't touched and only payed out benefits to those who contributed and based it on how long they paid in it would work fine. Like a 40 quarters = 50%, 120 quarters = 100% and prorate everything in between. Zero chance politicians would leave a pot of money that big alone though.

Interesting idea but not even that is needed. Raise the Cao and there isn't a problem.

I think the gop will end up means testing it. Which is great in theory but turns it into an actual entitlement that they can then actually campaign on slashing
  • RaceBannon
    Options
    2001400ex said:

doogie said:

And clearly not funded
  • 2001400ex
    Options

2001400ex said:

doogie said:

And clearly not funded
    Actually if no changes are made, benefits will still be at 79% after 2039. A simple change is to add the tax in at $400k and end it at $1,000,000 in earnings.

Regardless, Republicans are fighting an uphill battle.

Reform still remains unpopular among the general public, as well. A March poll by the Pew Research Center found 7 in 10 Americans said Social Security benefits should not be reduced in any way.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/republican-lawmaker-floats-social-security-082716464.html
  • RaceBannon
    Options
    So I was right
  • Fenderbender123
    Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,902 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2016
    Options

Agreed. If you can't work as a 95 year old widowed grandmother, you should just kill yourself.

I have no problem with people providing financial assistance to a 95 year old widowed grandmother. I also have no problem with people planning for and saving up their own retirement so that they don't become old and poor. Just don't force people to do it. The use of force isn't the only solution.
    We saw what happens with voluntary pension plans during the great depression. SS was literally created in response to that failure.

I'm sure there are compounds in North Idaho you can join if you want to skip out on taxes.
    Whatever we saw in the great depression was something to learn from and correct in one way or another. As was the case so many times in history, politicians stepped in and used the power of government to correct the problem, rather than letting free people correct it themselves. So it's not really fair to say that free people would not have corrected it themselves given that the demand to do so never had a chance to manifest because of the implementation of Social Security.
  • UWhuskytskeet
    Options

Whatever we saw in the great depression was something to learn from and correct in one way or another. As was the case so many times in history, politicians stepped in and used the power of government to correct the problem, rather than letting free people correct it themselves. So it's not really fair to say that free people would not have corrected it themselves given that the demand to do so never had a chance to manifest because of the implementation of Social Security.
    Free people responded by creating around 30 state-level SS-like programs, but as the depression worsened, many programs ran dry. The nation wide program was created in response since it is less susceptible to micro-level economic declines.
  • 2001400ex
    Options

Free people responded by creating around 30 state-level SS-like programs, but as the depression worsened, many programs ran dry. The nation wide program was created in response since it is less susceptible to micro-level economic declines.
    Not to mention, people moving States and such is an issue.
  • Fenderbender123
    edited December 2016
    Options

I don't disagree that the federal system works better, but my original opinion is that free solutions can work better. We just need people to break the habit of immediately spending their time and resources on trying to get the government to solve a problem whenever something goes wrong, which has been happening for hundreds of years now.

And even if it doesn't work better on the specific outcome of providing a safety net for all people who need it, it works better on the specific outcome of morality, given that most people would agree that it is wrong to force harmless, innocent people to do things.

And when I say free people, I mean a solution that is voluntary-based, not a state or federal program that forces everyone to pay into it.
  • UWhuskytskeet
    Options

I don't disagree that the federal system works better, but my original opinion is that free solutions can work better. We just need people to break the habit of immediately spending their time and resources on trying to get the government to solve a problem whenever something goes wrong, which has been happening for hundreds of years now.

And even if it doesn't work better on the specific outcome of providing a safety net for all people who need it, it works better on the specific outcome of morality, given that most people would agree that it is wrong to force harmless, innocent people to do things.

And when I say free people, I mean a solution that is voluntary-based, not a state or federal program that forces everyone to pay into it.
    I think whatever modicum of morality that might be gained from the removal of a forced retirement account is completely dwarfed by the morality of providing essential basic income for society's most vulnerable people.
  • PurpleThrobber
    PurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,433
    Options
    I retiring with my guns and religion at my secluded mountain compound.

And my smoking hot wife's sweet defined benefit pension.

#planning

• Fenderbender123
    Options

I think whatever modicum of morality that might be gained from the removal of a forced retirement account is completely dwarfed by the morality of providing essential basic income for society's most vulnerable people.
    And I disagree that whatever modicum of morality that might be gained from the removal of a forced retirement account is completely dwarfed by the morality of providing essential basic income for society's most vulnerable people.
  • UWhuskytskeet
    Options

And I disagree that whatever modicum of morality that might be gained from the removal of a forced retirement account is completely dwarfed by the morality of providing essential basic income for society's most vulnerable people.
    Disagree.
  • Mosster47
    Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Options
    The one thing about all of this that isn't brought up is the people in my age bracket. I am 33, I've been working since age 16. I have been working full time since age 18.

My grandparents and parents paid into Social Security for as long as I will. The fact that their early take age is 62 and mine will be between 65 and 67 is bullshit. If you pay in for 30 years you should get the same benefits as those before you.

I won't need the money at all, but I deserve to be able to use that money on hookers at 62 like my father and his father before him!
  • UWhuskytskeet
    Options
    Mosster47 said:

The one thing about all of this that isn't brought up is the people in my age bracket. I am 33, I've been working since age 16. I have been working full time since age 18.

My grandparents and parents paid into Social Security for as long as I will. The fact that their early take age is 62 and mine will be between 65 and 67 is bullshit. If you pay in for 30 years you should get the same benefits as those before you.

I won't need the money at all, but I deserve to be able to use that money on hookers at 62 like my father and his father before him!

Clearly it's the fault of millennials that the greatest generation fucked too much.
  • PurpleThrobber
    PurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,433
    Options
    Mosster47 said:

The problem is grandpa didn't cover up his jimmy and procreated at such a massive rate, the sheer number of boomers like Race fucked up the actuarial tables and flipped the whole program upside down.

If only Truman and Ike had given the returning troops a hookers and blow and condom allowance instead of the GI Bill, we wouldn't be in this situation.