Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The "Powerful" SEC

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,938
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Steve and Puppy get it.
  • Options
    SediciSedici Member Posts: 51
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic First Comment

Tequilla said:

It's not a means to say that Alabama isn't good or that we're better ...

What it is intended to say/show is that when looking at Alabama's numbers, I do think that you have to take some of it with a grain of salt given that the other teams in the conference are a dumpster fire. I'm amused by this thought that Auburn is going to give Oklahoma a close game ... let's just say I'll be interested.

In general, my thoughts about the SEC as a whole is that it's not uncommon for them to run 9-10 guys up within 5-7 yards of the line of scrimmage. There's a lot of 1 yard and a cloud of dust as a result of how aggressive they are. On the other hand, there are a lot of big play opportunities that result from that ... particularly in the passing game. The SEC doesn't have a lot of good QBs in the league ... simple truth. Another thing that I see with the league and their defenses is that a lot of those big plays are created because of simply blown assignments ... motion can really fuck with them.

Turnovers are huge in the SEC ... occur at a far higher level than in the PAC.

They couldn't hold onto their slaves. How do you expect them to hold onto a football?

You mean like college football players?
    I know you are being sarcastic but college football players worthless college education is worth 1.3 trillion dollars of debt for student loans.

Now if Bernie had made college free that scholarship would be worthless
    Football players correlate to total student loan debt how exactly?
    By not being a part of it because they get n education for playing football
    You realize at the power 5 schools the revenue generated from football is probably 100 fold the "free tuition" right?
  • Options
    SecfansSecfans Member Posts: 44
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment

SEC is an overhyped pile of dung created by ESPN/CBS

Ironic considering how poorly the "9 win" teams from the PAC12 played this year out of conference. You say the SEC is overhyped, yet Colorado was in the top 10...

Meanwhile, 8 win UT beat 9 win Nebraska. 7 win LSU beat the ever loving crap out of Louisville. 8 win UGA beat TCU. Crappy Florida is currently beating Iowa.

The only 8 win SEC team to lose so far this bowl season is a 33-28 loss by TAMU.

Maybe ESPN fabricated all these wins? Maybe they fabricated the SEC's 9-2 bowl record last year?

How about our losses? 7-5 Arkansas plays the (9-3) ACC division champ and blows a 24 point lead. AWFUL 6-6 South Carolina goes to OT against 10-2 USF. 7-5 UK loses to Ga Tech, and Vandy is Vandy.

The SEC East sucks. The SEC West is unrivaled in college football.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Secfans said:

Ironic considering how poorly the "9 win" teams from the PAC12 played this year out of conference. You say the SEC is overhyped, yet Colorado was in the top 10...

Meanwhile, 8 win UT beat 9 win Nebraska. 7 win LSU beat the ever loving crap out of Louisville. 8 win UGA beat TCU. Crappy Florida is currently beating Iowa.

The only 8 win SEC team to lose so far this bowl season is a 33-28 loss by TAMU.

Maybe ESPN fabricated all these wins? Maybe they fabricated the SEC's 9-2 bowl record last year?

How about our losses? 7-5 Arkansas plays the (9-3) ACC division champ and blows a 24 point lead. AWFUL 6-6 South Carolina goes to OT against 10-2 USF. 7-5 UK loses to Ga Tech, and Vandy is Vandy.

Let's turn this on its side ...

The most overrated conference this year was the Big 10 ... 69-0 the last 2 years in the CFP

Nebraska was trash (remember they should have lost to a shit Oregon team) and played without a number of key players including their QB ... credit to Tennessee for winning but I wouldn't put that up as some kind of verification of how great the SEC was.

LSU to me is clearly the 2nd best team in the SEC ... Louisville became very disinterested once they fell out of the national picture ... also a TERRIBLE matchup for Louisville since the dirty secret nobody has talked about is that Lamar Jackson really isn't good at being a passing QB if he can't run around ... the book is kinda out on him. But that's a really good win.

Georgia beating TCU? That's a game between 2 very underachieving football teams. TCU sucks this year led by the fact that Kenny Hill is an absolute shit QB. Again, wouldn't be using that as a verification of the SEC.

Florida beating Iowa? Besides Iowa being an above average Big 10 team, it's the same team that lost to North Dakota St or whoever the power is from D2.

The comments still stand regarding the fact that the SEC has not had a great year this year and the QB play is definitely below par.

And as for the PAC, Colorado got whipped and exposed as a team that overplayed their talent level ... Utah beat a semi-dangerous Indiana team ... Stanford beat a dangerous North Carolina team ... I expect USC will clown stomp Pedo St ... and Washington probably gave Alabama a better game than a lot of SEC people thought ...

Alabama is head and shoulders above everybody else in the SEC ... the rest of the SEC is up and down mediocre IMO
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,938
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Wasn't LSU 7-4 and didn't they lose to a Big Ten team?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Secfans said:

The most overrated conference this year was the Big 10 ... 69-0 the last 2 years in the CFP

Nebraska was trash (remember they should have lost to a shit Oregon team) and played without a number of key players including their QB ... credit to Tennessee for winning but I wouldn't put that up as some kind of verification of how great the SEC was.

LSU to me is clearly the 2nd best team in the SEC ... Louisville became very disinterested once they fell out of the national picture ... also a TERRIBLE matchup for Louisville since the dirty secret nobody has talked about is that Lamar Jackson really isn't good at being a passing QB if he can't run around ... the book is kinda out on him. But that's a really good win.

Georgia beating TCU? That's a game between 2 very underachieving football teams. TCU sucks this year led by the fact that Kenny Hill is an absolute shit QB. Again, wouldn't be using that as a verification of the SEC.

Florida beating Iowa? Besides Iowa being an above average Big 10 team, it's the same team that lost to North Dakota St or whoever the power is from D2.

The comments still stand regarding the fact that the SEC has not had a great year this year and the QB play is definitely below par.

And as for the PAC, Colorado got whipped and exposed as a team that overplayed their talent level ... Utah beat a semi-dangerous Indiana team ... Stanford beat a dangerous North Carolina team ... I expect USC will clown stomp Pedo St ... and Washington probably gave Alabama a better game than a lot of SEC people thought ...

Alabama is head and shoulders above everybody else in the SEC ... the rest of the SEC is up and down mediocre IMO
    Texas a&m 31- ucla 24
    Georgia 33-"dangerous" North Carolina 24
    Bama 52-USC 6
    Bama 24-wash 7

Sad thing is I still agree with you, sec is down, just still better than most. Only conference better this year is prob acc though.

• Options
    SecfansSecfans Member Posts: 44
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Colorado went 0-4 against any team with a pulse. North Carolina got wrecked by a pretty bad UGA team. USC may beat PSU, but we still don't know anything about USC. Outside of UW, their resurgence coincided with like 6 wins over teams who averaged 4 wins this season.

Indiana had a losing record in a trash league. And didn't have their HC. There's no honor in that win if you're trying to make the argument Utah is a good team.

UW may have given Alabama a better game, but they're still not in the same league as Alabama - but easily the class of the PAC 12.

I'm not saying the SEC isn't down compared to SEC years prior. But relative to the rest of the country, it's still superior, especially the west. Everyone is down.

Florida and Georgia suck though. They really really do. Which really just furthers my point - as bad as they are, they are still winning their bowl games.

For what it's worth, I think UW beats UF or UGA by 3 TDs or more. They're better coached than either, and have significantly better skill players.

• Options
    Secfans said:

Tequilla said:

Colorado went 0-4 against any team with a pulse. North Carolina got wrecked by a pretty bad UGA team. USC may beat PSU, but we still don't know anything about USC. Outside of UW, their resurgence coincided with like 6 wins over teams who averaged 4 wins this season.

Indiana had a losing record in a trash league. And didn't have their HC. There's no honor in that win if you're trying to make the argument Utah is a good team.

UW may have given Alabama a better game, but they're still not in the same league as Alabama - but easily the class of the PAC 12.

I'm not saying the SEC isn't down compared to SEC years prior. But relative to the rest of the country, it's still superior, especially the west. Everyone is down.

Florida and Georgia suck though. They really really do. Which really just furthers my point - as bad as they are, they are still winning their bowl games.

For what it's worth, I think UW beats UF or UGA by 3 TDs or more. They're better coached than either, and have significantly better skill players.

Dude, agree UW beats ga by 3td but no way do the score that many on fla defense. They are only a hair behind Bama defense. Fla has any offense at all they are top 10.
  • Options
    Sedici said:

Tequilla said:

Secfans said:

Texas a&m 31- ucla 24
    Bama 52-USC 6
    Bama 24-wash 7

Sad thing is I still agree with you, sec is down, just still better than most. Only conference better this year is prob acc though.

Not sure if you got the memo ... but UCLA sucks

Georgia beat North Carolina comparably to Stanford beating North Carolina without their best player ... so whatever there.

Using Alabama in anything compared to the rest of the SEC isn't anything ... talking about the SEC being down has nothing to do with Alabama ... has to do with the other 13 teams.
  • Options
    Secfans said:

Tequilla said:

Really I think the only thing proved this year is that there aren't a lot of elite teams in college football this year ...

There's Alabama ... then Clemson depending on which one shows up from there ...

I would say that Washington is probably the 3rd best team in the country ... but they are vulnerable in certain areas ... any team not named Alabama and Clemson would have to play their A game to win ... and really only the teams that could beat Washington are the teams that have the right defensive pieces to slow down the offense.

The underbelly in most of the leagues this year aren't particularly strong ... don't care what conference we're talking about.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Sedici said:

Tequilla said:

Secfans said:

Texas a&m 31- ucla 24
    Bama 52-USC 6
    Bama 24-wash 7

Georgia beat North Carolina comparably to Stanford beating North Carolina without their best player ... so whatever there.

Using Alabama in anything compared to the rest of the SEC isn't anything ... talking about the SEC being down has nothing to do with Alabama ... has to do with the other 13 teams.
    I understand that, but with very minimal games played, I realize, PAC 12 has zero wins against down sec. BTW, LSU and possibly Tennessee beat UW as well.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Sedici said:

Tequilla said:

Sedici said:

Tequilla said:

Secfans said:

Texas a&m 31- ucla 24
    Bama 52-USC 6
    Bama 24-wash 7

I understand that, but with very minimal games played, I realize, PAC 12 has zero wins against down sec. BTW, LSU and possibly Tennessee beat UW as well.
    The teams I see as "built" to buttfuck UW are Bama, USC, LSU and Clemson...smothering defense, or really good defense and well above average offense. Our QB, OL and scheme are not built to handle smothering defenses, or great defenses that have an explosive offense to outpoint us while slowing us down.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I should also add that I think Michigan has a really great defense but I don't think they have the explosive offense (in the games I watched) to match.
  • Options
    tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

BTW, LSU and possibly Tennessee beat UW as well.

Now you are just making shit up...

LSU has no quarterback and UW would shut them down if not out

The Vols lost to Vandy and South Carolina- Butch Jones looks and acts like the gym teacher in Beavis and Butthead

Vols pass defense would have to improve to suck...UW defense wouldn't give them much...Bama beat them 38-10 in Knoxville

SEC is way down this year
  • Options
    tenndawg said:

BTW, LSU and possibly Tennessee beat UW as well.

Now you are just making shit up...

LSU has no quarterback and UW would shut them down if not out

The Vols lost to Vandy and South Carolina- Butch Jones looks and acts like the gym teacher in Beavis and Butthead

Vols pass defense would have to improve to suck...UW defense wouldn't give them much...Bama beat them 38-10 in Knoxville

SEC is way down this year

I don't disagree with sec down. It's just they apparently are still better than most while being down.

Also, I keep reading about how UW could or should have done this or that. It just didn't matter with Bama d. Also, does anyone not even realize that if Bama runs #9 30 times instead of 19, it's 38-7.
  • Options
    Sedici said:

Tequilla said:

Sedici said:

Tequilla said:

Secfans said:

Texas a&m 31- ucla 24
    Bama 52-USC 6
    Bama 24-wash 7

You are fucking insane if you think Tennessee beats Washington ...

LSU vs Washington would be basically the LSU vs Wisconsin game with just a little more offense from Washington ... think something like 24-13 or something like that.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

I should also add that I think Michigan has a really great defense but I don't think they have the explosive offense (in the games I watched) to match.

UW also beats Michigan something like 24-17 or something like that ... similar story ... Michigan has a good enough defense to slow us down ... we probably get to take advantage of a deep shot or two ... their offense isn't diverse enough to effectively move the ball consistently enough
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Michigan QB has a nice habit of throwing perfect passes to opposing DBs in crucial situations. UW secondary would eat him alive.
  • Options
    I mean I keep hearing who UW would beat....hypothetically of course. Tenn did beat Virginia tech, Nebraska, Florida. Their losses are basically because butch jones sucks. Lsu holds UW to 10 or less.

UW played 1 very good team and lost 24-7 and another decent team that got annhilated by Bama 52-6. So who did UW beat this year?
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wish my team could throw for under 100 and win games.

Defense > some high powered heisman fag offense who gets shut down when facing defensive minded teams