Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why does j smith hate TEs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

This is very far down the list from:

1. Why does JSmith hate Myles Gaskin?
    2. Why does JSmith hate winning football?
    3. Why does JSmith hate wearing Polish peasant scarves?
    4. Why does JSmith hate Lavon Coleman?
    5. Why does JSmith hate Jake Browning's completion percentage and public reputation?
    6. Why does JSmith hate fitting scheme to personnel?
    7. Why does JSmith hate running with lead blockers?
    8. Why does JSmith hate running?
    9. Why does JSmith hate winning game plans?

Etc.

Lead blockers? What is this, 1995?

Stanford and Michigan both love lead blockers and the old "man ball" I-formation stuff and both of their offenses have AIDS.

The Husky offensive schemes are brilliant. The guy calling the plays and building the game plans is not.
    Their offenses are fine. Their QB's are shit. Stanford had one of the best offenses in the country last year.
    They had that despite the scheme, not because of it.

Running antiquated I-formation offense is a handicap. When teams are successful with it, it is because their players are good enough to overcome it.

Just my opinion, but I'm also right.
    You need elite personnel to make it work. Doesn't make it antiquated
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

AIRWOLF said:

5. Why does JSmith hate Jake Browning's completion percentage and public reputation?

Etc.

Stanford and Michigan both love lead blockers and the old "man ball" I-formation stuff and both of their offenses have AIDS.

The Husky offensive schemes are brilliant. The guy calling the plays and building the game plans is not.
    Their offenses are fine. Their QB's are shit. Stanford had one of the best offenses in the country last year.
    Like the Northwestern game?
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

Running antiquated I-formation offense is a handicap. When teams are successful with it, it is because their players are good enough to overcome it.

You aren't right. Michigan is a top 5 team. Stanford has been one of the most successful programs in the country the past 7,8 years.

Alabama just started running the spread this year and that is due to their QB. The good coaches fit schemes to the players.

There are tons of shitty teams that run spread offenses.

Running some plays out of the I is not a handicap. I like UW because they are multiple on offense.
    Michigan isn't a top whatever team because of its offense.

And Bama could be extremely successful running the wishbone or single wing. Bama made it work isn't a good argument.

Having a gold standard defense and elite players at every position gives teams the luxury to run shitty offenses.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

Stanford and Michigan have AIDS infested offenses because they have shit QBs and over-utilize the "man ball" to the point of being predictable and easy to stop.

Nobody is asking to transition to that. The basic identity of our offense is fine. What most of us have problems with is running a fucking end around to John Ross on 2nd and 1 when we're in rhythm and could easily jam it down the defense's throat for an easy first down. Misdirection and keeping a defense on its toes are great elements of an offense. But it hasn't dawned on our OC that it's okay to just line up every now and then in a basic formation and run right where the defense knows you're going to run it because you have the superior athletes and are going to buttfuck them with a high percentage play whether they like it or not.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

You aren't right. Michigan is a top 5 team. Stanford has been one of the most successful programs in the country the past 7,8 years.

Alabama just started running the spread this year and that is due to their QB. The good coaches fit schemes to the players.

Running some plays out of the I is not a handicap. I like UW because they are multiple on offense.

And Bama could be extremely successful running the wishbone or single wing. Bama made it work isn't a good argument.

Having a gold standard defense and elite players at every position gives teams the luxury to run shitty offenses.
    Most teams run spread. Most offenses suck. HTH.
    The spread is garbage. @RoadDawg55 is right. @AIRWOLF loses this one.
  • Options

AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

Stanford and Michigan have AIDS infested offenses because they have shit QBs and over-utilize the "man ball" to the point of being predictable and easy to stop.

Nobody is asking to transition to that. The basic identity of our offense is fine. What most of us have problems with is running a fucking end around to John Ross on 2nd and 1 when we're in rhythm and could easily jam it down the defense's throat for an easy first down. Misdirection and keeping a defense on its toes are great elements of an offense. But it hasn't dawned on our OC that it's okay to just line up every now and then in a basic formation and run right where the defense knows you're going to run it because you have the superior athletes and are going to buttfuck them with a high percentage play whether they like it or not.
    The Huskies actually do that a fair amount (and yeah, they should probably do it a little more), they just never do it from a basic I formation using 12 personnel.

I guess I am stunned that there are so many people who fetishize fullbacks, the I-formation and Spider Y Banana. Almost nobody runs that stuff in HS and college for a reason. And even in the NFL, two-back I-formation sets are becoming relatively rare.
  • Options

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

This is a terrible argument, from a pure logic perspective.

The bottom line is that whether you agree with my views on this or not, Petersen seems to. He is the real architect of this offense and I can't recall seeing the Huskies line up in a two back I-formation set more than once or twice since he has been here.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Even Mitch freakin' Levy knows if we run the ball we will just destroy the coog.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    The real question is why does Pettis hate Daniels???
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

The bottom line is that whether you agree with my views on this or not, Petersen seems to. He is the real architect of this offense and I can't recall seeing the Huskies line up in a two back I-formation set more than once or twice since he has been here.

That's fine that Petersen agrees. Formations have little to do with an offense being boring. A lot of these dink and dunk spread offenses suck just like LSU's I-formation offense sucks.

It's almost like having a good QB is important and if you don't have one and aren't Alabama, you are fucked.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited November 2016

The real question is why does Pettis hate Daniels???

Spike Lee knew in '88. Beat Fleenor even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zF3hUioqw4
  • Options

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Etc.

That's fine that Petersen agrees. Formations have little to do with an offense being boring. A lot of these dink and dunk spread offenses suck just like LSU's I-formation offense sucks.

It's almost like having a good QB is important and if you don't have one and aren't Alabama, you are fucked.
    Whether an offense is "boring" or not doesn't even factor into it. An offense that can run or pass with similar effectiveness and can threaten the whole field (vertically and horizontally) is optimal.

If an offense can do those things without utilizing "spread" formations, great, but there are few that can at the college level. It requires elite personnel at multiple positions and a level of precision in the passing game (WCO concepts) that is difficult to achieve under NCAA practice rules.

I find it weird that some fans are so sentimental about fullbacks and downhill running "man ball" schemes. Apparently there is a decent amount of that sentiment around here.

Probably because fans like plays that work and when there is something that disappoints them they reflexively want to retreat to the familiar embrace of whatever they grew up with. I am sure when I-formation teams struggled in the 60s they had fans who wanted to go back to the T-formation.

The bottom line is that this is the best offense that the Huskies have ever had and it lines up in the shotgun or pistol approximately 90% of the time. And it lines up with a fullback 0% of the time.

To the extent there is a problem, it isn't because we! don't use a fullback, it is because the OC is a retard.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    All this talk of tight ends and spread, brbjo