Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just watched the advent of CFB.

TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
"The pick." 1994. On P12Net.

Could anyone that day have possibly predicted the 19-year trajectories these two programs would follow?

Comments

• I know it's 19 years ago but it still pisses me off they didn't run Pastor Nip four fucking times in a row! No way they stuff him.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Sorry, I was busy watching awesome instead:

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,380 Founders Club
    TTJ said:

Could anyone that day have possibly predicted the 19-year trajectories these two programs would follow?

Not at all.

I think the way DJ left the program, and the clear issues with upper campus could have signaled a falling off of UW, but not the depths to which we fell.

At no point could you have predicted the rise of Oregon. I mean, Oregon to that point, was sort of a backwater school with basically zero football bones. To see them get to the absolute upper echelons is sort of unreal. Doogs hate to admit it, but Oregon's last 5 years is better than any 5 years we had under DJ, sans an NC. If they get an NC soon, they clearly have the best run ever in the PAC-12 by a school not named USC.
    I support waggling dicks, but not the guys who massage them.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited October 2013
    That's what I was saying in the stands. When the Huskies got close, I said to the guy next to me: "and now Kaufman off-tackle for the winning TD. Fuck."

Imagine my surprise and glee when Kenny Wheaton jumped the out.

I know it's 19 years ago but it still pisses me off they didn't run Pastor Nip four fucking times in a row! No way they stuff him.

• drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804

I know it's 19 years ago but it still pisses me off they didn't run Pastor Nip four fucking times in a row! No way they stuff him.

Seems Sark has a similar philosophy near the goal line.
    Oregon had some football chops pre-1994, but was never able to put it all together at one time.

The school produced John McKay and John Robinson - but let them go away to USC where they made their mark. Oregon has six NFL Hall of Fame guys - all from the old days. Only Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC have more HOF guys than we (and some other schools like Miami) do. UW has three.

Arguably the big turning point was when the idiot boosters we had at the time (essentially) fired Jerry Frei in 1972. George Seifert, John Robinson, Bruce Snyder, and Norv Turner were on the staff the boosters wanted Frei to reshuffle. He resigned instead.

After that began The Suffering, where Oregon football was distinctly second-rate in the Pac-8 and Pac-10 until Brooks was able to field a dangerous offense led by Chris Miller.
    Swaye said:

TTJ said:

Not at all.

I think the way DJ left the program, and the clear issues with upper campus could have signaled a falling off of UW, but not the depths to which we fell.

At no point could you have predicted the rise of Oregon. I mean, Oregon to that point, was sort of a backwater school with basically zero football bones. To see them get to the absolute upper echelons is sort of unreal. Doogs hate to admit it, but Oregon's last 5 years is better than any 5 years we had under DJ, sans an NC. If they get an NC soon, they clearly have the best run ever in the PAC-12 by a school not named USC.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,139 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

Oregon had some football chops pre-1994, but was never able to put it all together at one time.

The school produced John McKay and John Robinson - but let them go away to USC where they made their mark. Oregon has six NFL Hall of Fame guys - all from the old days. Only Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC have more HOF guys than we (and some other schools like Miami) do. UW has three.

Arguably the big turning point was when the idiot boosters we had at the time (essentially) fired Jerry Frei in 1972. George Seifert, John Robinson, Bruce Snyder, and Norv Turner were on the staff the boosters wanted Frei to reshuffle. He resigned instead.

After that began The Suffering, where Oregon football was distinctly second-rate in the Pac-8 and Pac-10 until Brooks was able to field a dangerous offense led by Chris Miller.

Swaye said:

TTJ said:

Not at all.

This is not possible. College football had not yet been invented.
    Proto football. Ur-football.
    AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

TTJ said:

Not at all.

I didn't say you had NOTHING, and no good players or coaches, I said you had no bones. No NC's, no perennial RB years, not many top 10 seasons. You were not at all, by any stretch, a football power. Now, you are. An extremely good team, and frankly better than any 5 year stretch in Husky history, sans NC.

UW, for all of our over the top self fellating (phantom 1984 NC comes to mind), does actually have a long tradition. Clearly second tier to the USC's, Bama's, and Oklahomas of the world, but we had several periods in our history where we were a really legit program. I mean, we won RB's in every decade for like 6 decades or some shit. Oregon did not have that. Learn the difference.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,667 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

TTJ said:

Not at all.

This.

I looked it up once, and the zeros had either 1 or no bowl appearances between the mid 60's and 1989. Back then a team actually had to be good to make a bowl but still... Oregon was pretty much an afterthought. Oregon State was god awful, and UO was a little better. They were a team the Huskies expected to beat every year. Oregon beat DJ two straight years in the late 80's and it was unacceptable.

By the late 90s it was obvious that they weren't going away, but nobody saw what was coming. Personally I can't stand it. Other than calling Doogs out on over the top things like, " Beat Oregon nothing else matters" I don't understand why they are revered on here.
    Swaye- Agree up to a point.

The Quook perspective seems to be that you guys are a bit better than us historically, but not enough to justify all the arrogance.

I looked up the conference W/L records for UO and UW from 1920 (beginning of the record) to 1959 (death of the PCC): Oregon .475, Washington .513. The late 1960's through the 1980's were the nadir of football in the state of Oregon generally - after Andros and Casanova, both programs went into the shitter.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    droggins said:

Seems Sark has a similar philosophy near the goal line.

good one!
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    Swaye said:

...Yeah, we aren't Ohio State or anything...

ROSE BOWL WINS/APPEARANCES/LAST
    1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013
    And by that metric MIchigan > Ohio State, though most would rank their histories the opposite.

edited October 2013
    (trolling @DerekJohnson)

The thing about the Dobie years is that he pretty much played nobody. We tied his best team, and after that he never came to Eugene again.
    TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013
    Interesting that we are tied with them for Rose Bowls. Did not know that. Let me give you some more numbers.

Ohio State -

AP/Coaches/BCS National Champions - 1942, 1954, 1968, 2002

Contested National Champions - 1957, 1961, 1970 (no idea if any of these have legit reasoning)

34 Big Ten Titles

Heisman Trophy Winners - 7 (Archie Griffin Twice)

BCS Level Bowl Wins - 14

UW -

AP/Coaches/BCS National Champions - 1991

Contested National Champions - 1960 (only one legit at all imho), 1984, 1990

15 PCC/AAWU/Pac-8/10/12 Titles

Heisman Trophy Winners - 0

BCS Level Bowl Wins - 8

Yeah, we are no Ohio State.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013
    And by that metric MIchigan > Ohio State, though most would rank their histories the opposite.

Outside of Columbus, who the fuck would say that? Michigan is the winningest program of all time. And head to head, they lead the tOSU series 58-44-6.