Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just watched the advent of CFB.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

...Yeah, we aren't Ohio State or anything...

ROSE BOWL WINS/APPEARANCES/LAST
    1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013
    And by that metric MIchigan > Ohio State, though most would rank their histories the opposite.

Outside of Columbus, who the fuck would say that? Michigan is the winningest program of all time. And head to head, they lead the tOSU series 58-44-6.
    I guess you're right. CFBDatawarehouse has them at 5 and 6, respectively, with Michigan slightly out in front. I knew Michigan had the most wins but I thought most of them were back in the Dobie era when NOC'ed. Their resume is a little stronger than I thought.

BTW, Washington is at 19 on that ranking.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,145 Founders Club
    The Big 14 had a no repeat Rose Bowl clause until the mid 60s
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013
    And by that metric MIchigan > Ohio State, though most would rank their histories the opposite.

Outside of Columbus, who the fuck would say that? Michigan is the winningest program of all time. And head to head, they lead the tOSU series 58-44-6.
    I guess you're right. CFBDatawarehouse has them at 5 and 6, respectively, with Michigan slightly out in front. I knew Michigan had the most wins but I thought most of them were back in the Dobie era when NOC'ed. Their resume is a little stronger than I thought.

BTW, Washington (RIP) is at 19 on that ranking.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    dnc said:

...CFBDatawarehouse has them at 5 and 6, respectively...BTW, Washington is at 19 on that ranking.

I don't dispute that tOSU has a finer resume overall than UW. #6 versus #19 rings pretty true to me. But above, it sounded like @swaye was trying to prove this larger point using RB data, which doesn't turn out to support that conclusion.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,380 Founders Club
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

Where is Oregon? I actually really want to know. I recall SI or someone did an all time program rank thing a few years ago, and we were like 18th or something? Oregon was about 40th I think. I am sure they have moved up the last couple years, but they aren't top 20 yet. Which was my original poont.

Not trying to go all Passion of the Doogs on Oregon here, as I would trade a fucking RB win in 1950-whatever the fuck RIGHT NOW to be kicking ass like they are, but I just wanted shit to be accurate in the thread, and shit. Or something.

Some people hate winnars
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,139 Founders Club
    TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

I had to look this up recently when talking to my 20-something tOSU grad cousin. I figured that Michigan had a commanding lead in the series which they do but was surprised to see how much tOSU has owned them over the last 20 years.
    dnc said:

Some people hate winnars
    Section14aFuckingStupid! True?
    TTJ said:

dnc said:

...CFBDatawarehouse has them at 5 and 6, respectively...BTW, Washington is at 19 on that ranking.

I don't dispute that tOSU has a finer resume overall than UW. #6 versus #19 rings pretty true to me. But above, it sounded like @swaye was trying to prove this larger point using RB data, which doesn't turn out to support that conclusion.
    I hope you just got the name dropper badge for mentioning me. I make drawings off all my badges I have EARNED here and just recently built a shrine to them in my Mom's basement. Between you and me, they give me a boner in my sweatpants when I stare at them.

Don't tell anyone I told you that.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    TTJ said:

"The pick." 1994. On P12Net.

Could anyone that day have possibly predicted the 19-year trajectories these two programs would follow?

No way anybody could then predict our football program would eventually die such a violent and thorough death as it did, but it was obvious to anyone paying attention that we were in serious trouble in 1993-94 under the head coaching of Halfbright. Who can forget that the defensive genius, who without the Dawgfather's management couldn't stop a well coached passing attack, had hired Bill Driedrick in '94 as OC and before The Pick game at Autzen had publically threatened to throw Driedrick out of the Husky Stadium press box because of multiple penalties or desperation timeouts resulting from delays in getting the play calls down to the QB on the field. Halfbright hired others for his offensive staff who had eastern Washington or Palouse (coog-vandeloser) connections and resumes. A year or so after The Pick, Hallbright moved QB coach Scott Linehan up to OC to replace Diedrick who dropped down to QB coach rather than get fired apparently because we didn't want to buyout Diedrick's large contract.

It is ironic that Bill Diedrick went on to join Willingham's staff at Stanford and Notre Dame where he reportedly performed poorly enough to be part of the reason for Tyrone getting fired in South Bend. As we all heard at the time, Gilbertson was used by UW administrators as a conduit to Willingham for the Husky job and we needn't wonder if as members of the Palouse crony crowd, Gilby-to-Diedrick wasn't the means for that connection to Willingham. In short, we were totally fucked when the Dawgfather retired and our football program was tossed to the likes of Halfbright and his eastern-Washington/Palouse cronies to play with before retiring to their fishing cabins and golf course on Lake Coeur d' Alene. I've posted this crony stuff before and if he sees it, Phil Bleener will from his one-holer in Walla Walla demand a link. Fuck you in advance, Phil.

With holdovers Tormey and Baird from the Jame's staff, Halfbright's group of assistant coaches in '93-'94 was looking like a state-of-Washington/Northern Idaho cronies club and I personally know from my longtime WSU-UofI booster friend connections up there in the Palouse that that's basically what it was. Halfbright's staff did have some good coaches such as Randy Hart, whom I wish we still had, Al Lavan(RB's), Rick Mallory(TE's), and eventually Ron Milus(DB's), but they couldn't completely overcome Halfbright's circle of cronies. So yes, we were in trouble and although Halfbright did some good things, he struggled to right the Husky ship to keep it from sinking and essentially lost it in going down after six seasons as Husky head coach. A big part of that decline was losing to Oregon four times in six games including twice in Husky Stadium where Halfbright's most glaring weakness was no pass defense against Bellotti's offensive genius.

It should be recalled that most of Sark's original staff at UW had eastern-Washington/Northern Idaho Palouse (WSU, UofI) connections. I heard so much doog talk five years ago about how assistant football coaches with coogloser and/or vandaloser resumes as either players or coaches or both must be good if not the best....... that I wanted to puke! People, WSU and UofI are traditionally loser programs and there's a very good reason why they are losers...... nobody else wants them! Sark has to his credit almost completely turned over his staff since taking over Husky Football just after the 2008 season, almost five years ago and we all should be able to recognize the improvement in player/team development and performance. However, should there be more purging of Palouse cronies from UW's staff....... perhaps a good question for Dick Baird.

There are two assistants remaining from Sark's original staff and not surprisingly, both have eastern Washington/Palouse connections: Johnny Nansen coached at U of Idaho for five seasons after playing at WSU ('97) and as a younger guy coming to UW with Nick Holt may or not be part of the coog-vandaloser crony circle, but how do we like the job he's doing with special teams and recruiting? Dan Cozzetto who was a UofI vandal ('79) as player many years ago and as everybody should know is a long time assistant Palouse crony of Dennis Erickson's and Keith Gilbertson's, having been on staffs at UofI, WSU, OSU, ASU, and of course one year(2003) at UW for Gilby. How do we like the job he's doing as OL recruiter and position coach for Sark? Sorry, but I'm hopeful a couple of changes will be made this coming offseason.

This is a really long and boring response full of regurgitated stuff for which I sincerely apologize. But there are reasons for The Pick in 1994, 1-10 in 2004, 0-12 in 2008, nine straight loses to Oregon, and throwing away that fucking game at Stanford last Saturday. We must never as long as our Dawgafterlifes last allow ourselves to ever forget how we got here.
    Tailgater said:

TTJ said:

"The pick." 1994. On P12Net.

Could anyone that day have possibly predicted the 19-year trajectories these two programs would follow?

No way anybody could then predict our football program would eventually die such a violent and thorough death as it did, but it was obvious to anyone paying attention that we were in serious trouble in 1993-94 under the head coaching of Halfbright. Who can forget that the defensive genius, who without the Dawgfather's management couldn't stop a well coached passing attack, had hired Bill Driedrick in '94 as OC and before The Pick game at Autzen had publically threatened to throw Driedrick out of the Husky Stadium press box because of multiple penalties or desperation timeouts resulting from delays in getting the play calls down to the QB on the field. Halfbright hired others for his offensive staff who had eastern Washington or Palouse (coog-vandeloser) connections and resumes. A year or so after The Pick, Hallbright moved QB coach Scott Linehan up to OC to replace Diedrick who dropped down to QB coach rather than get fired apparently because we didn't want to buyout Diedrick's large contract.

It is ironic that Bill Diedrick went on to join Willingham's staff at Stanford and Notre Dame where he reportedly performed poorly enough to be part of the reason for Tyrone getting fired in South Bend. As we all heard at the time, Gilbertson was used by UW administrators as a conduit to Willingham for the Husky job and we needn't wonder if as members of the Palouse crony crowd, Gilby-to-Diedrick wasn't the means for that connection to Willingham. In short, we were totally fucked when the Dawgfather retired and our football program was tossed to the likes of Halfbright and his eastern-Washington/Palouse cronies to play with before retiring to their fishing cabins and golf course on Lake Coeur d' Alene. I've posted this crony stuff before and if he sees it, Phil Bleener will from his one-holer in Walla Walla demand a link. Fuck you in advance, Phil.

With holdovers Tormey and Baird from the Jame's staff, Halfbright's group of assistant coaches in '93-'94 was looking like a state-of-Washington/Northern Idaho cronies club and I personally know from my longtime WSU-UofI booster friend connections up there in the Palouse that that's basically what it was. Halfbright's staff did have some good coaches such as Randy Hart, whom I wish we still had, Al Lavan(RB's), Rick Mallory(TE's), and eventually Ron Milus(DB's), but they couldn't completely overcome Halfbright's circle of cronies. So yes, we were in trouble and although Halfbright did some good things, he struggled to right the Husky ship to keep it from sinking and essentially lost it in going down after six seasons as Husky head coach. A big part of that decline was losing to Oregon four times in six games including twice in Husky Stadium where Halfbright's most glaring weakness was no pass defense against Bellotti's offensive genius.

It should be recalled that most of Sark's original staff at UW had eastern-Washington/Northern Idaho Palouse (WSU, UofI) connections. I heard so much doog talk five years ago about how assistant football coaches with coogloser and/or vandaloser resumes as either players or coaches or both must be good if not the best....... that I wanted to puke! People, WSU and UofI are traditionally loser programs and there's a very good reason why they are losers...... nobody else wants them! Sark has to his credit almost completely turned over his staff since taking over Husky Football just after the 2008 season, almost five years ago and we all should be able to recognize the improvement in player/team development and performance. However, should there be more purging of Palouse cronies from UW's staff....... perhaps a good question for Dick Baird.

There are two assistants remaining from Sark's original staff and not surprisingly, both have eastern Washington/Palouse connections: Johnny Nansen coached at U of Idaho for five seasons after playing at WSU ('97) and as a younger guy coming to UW with Nick Holt may or not be part of the coog-vandaloser crony circle, but how do we like the job he's doing with special teams and recruiting? Dan Cozzetto who was a UofI vandal ('79) as player many years ago and as everybody should know is a long time assistant Palouse crony of Dennis Erickson's and Keith Gilbertson's, having been on staffs at UofI, WSU, OSU, ASU, and of course one year(2003) at UW for Gilby. How do we like the job he's doing as OL recruiter and position coach for Sark? Sorry, but I'm hopeful a couple of changes will be made this coming offseason.

This is a really long and boring response full of regurgitated stuff for which I sincerely apologize. But there are reasons for The Pick in 1994, 1-10 in 2004, 0-12 in 2008, nine straight loses to Oregon, and throwing away that fucking game at Stanford last Saturday. We must never as long as our Dawgafterlifes last allow ourselves to ever forget how we got here.
    Disagree.
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

Where is Oregon? I actually really want to know. I recall SI or someone did an all time program rank thing a few years ago, and we were like 18th or something? Oregon was about 40th I think. I am sure they have moved up the last couple years, but they aren't top 20 yet. Which was my original poont.

Not trying to go all Passion of the Doogs on Oregon here, as I would trade a fucking RB win in 1950-whatever the fuck RIGHT NOW to be kicking ass like they are, but I just wanted shit to be accurate in the thread, and shit. Or something.

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

What a wasted opportunity.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    @swaye
    @ttb
    @tierbshsotboobs
    @dnc
    @tailgater
    @cfetters_nacho_lover
    @racebannon
    Swaye said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

I hope you just got the name dropper badge for mentioning me. I make drawings off all my badges I have EARNED here and just recently built a shrine to them in my Mom's basement. Between you and me, they give me a boner in my sweatpants when I stare at them.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited October 2013
    As far as rankings, DawgPassion206 has constructed his own rankings post 1960. His criteria is NC, major bowl wins, conference titles & winning seasons (conference play).

He has us ranked #16. What hurts us is we only have 0.5 NC. He does it objectively by looking at the two polls and giving half if its a split.

Edit: Oregon is in his top 25. See graph below.

UW should be 14th, not 16th based on his criteria but he was trying to be impartial.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/915/accomplishmentsrankings.png
    AZDuck said:

@swaye
    @ttb
    @tierbshsotboobs
    @dnc
    @tailgater
    @cfetters_nacho_lover
    @racebannon

Swaye said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

Abundance.

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

I actually considered it

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

I have learned to embrace the Citrus.
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Swaye said:

1. USC 32/23/2009
    2. Michigan 20/8/2007
    3T. Washington 14/7/2001
    3T. Ohio State 14/7/2010
    5. Stanford 13/6/2013

Interesting list. Surprised me to see Texas at 7, not sure why. Also, Penn State at 16....guess they got Sanduskied.