Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

At Least We Won

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I wish I had an All 22 to watch for each play ... but Utah did a much better job this week of really shoring up some of the weaknesses that they had against UCLA.

There were definitely some things we did well, ok, and poor ... but we averaged just under 7 yards per play ... so it's hard to get overly critical there.

The leading rusher in the PAC should get more than 19 carries when he's getting 8 a pop. 8-0 is 8-0, but i don't see how anyone could argue Gaskin should have gotten more touches.
    We ran 53 plays today (excluding those plays where we took a knee) ... we ran the ball 33 of those 53 plays ... that's a 62/38 percent split ...

Gaskin and Coleman had similar per carry production so it's really a non-issue to me. More importantly Dotson proved to be ineffective and promptly was removed from the field.

If you want in summation the reason that I struggle with your takes from time to time, it's your comment here as it isn't taken in the context of the game. There's a lot that you see that is very good ... but for example, when Gaskin goes on a 3-4 play burst where he gets about 35-40 yards, he's going to need a blow. Coleman comes in and continues pounding down the field or they hit a throw and the drive is over and then Gaskin technically isn't getting the carries that you want him to have. The reality is that we're a 60-70 play per game team. In a game like today where we're playing a team that wants to shorten a game, the number of plays is where it was today in the mid 50's ... more important for the offense to be efficient with the right balance then forcing touches ... the forcing of shit is what we've done in the past and it has got us in trouble.

Yeah, the balance has been great. It just seemed like there were long stretches were Gaskin was out. All good. We won. He just was doing so well I think they should have given him a few more.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    H_D said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I wish I had an All 22 to watch for each play ... but Utah did a much better job this week of really shoring up some of the weaknesses that they had against UCLA.

There were definitely some things we did well, ok, and poor ... but we averaged just under 7 yards per play ... so it's hard to get overly critical there.

The leading rusher in the PAC should get more than 19 carries when he's getting 8 a pop. 8-0 is 8-0, but i don't see how anyone could argue Gaskin should have gotten more touches.
    We ran 53 plays today (excluding those plays where we took a knee) ... we ran the ball 33 of those 53 plays ... that's a 62/38 percent split ...

Gaskin and Coleman had similar per carry production so it's really a non-issue to me. More importantly Dotson proved to be ineffective and promptly was removed from the field.

If you want in summation the reason that I struggle with your takes from time to time, it's your comment here as it isn't taken in the context of the game. There's a lot that you see that is very good ... but for example, when Gaskin goes on a 3-4 play burst where he gets about 35-40 yards, he's going to need a blow. Coleman comes in and continues pounding down the field or they hit a throw and the drive is over and then Gaskin technically isn't getting the carries that you want him to have. The reality is that we're a 60-70 play per game team. In a game like today where we're playing a team that wants to shorten a game, the number of plays is where it was today in the mid 50's ... more important for the offense to be efficient with the right balance then forcing touches ... the forcing of shit is what we've done in the past and it has got us in trouble.

Yeah, the balance has been great. It just seemed like there were long stretches were Gaskin was out. All good. We won. He just was doing so well I think they should have given him a few more.
    Coleman seems to be a serviceable #2, I just don't see why Dotson is getting carries / series with those 2 ahead of him.
    And with Sean McGrew on deck, Dotsons carries are hopefully almost done. Unless we use McGrew like we use Chico.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The problem isn't the raw run/pass ratio, it's that Babushka will call like five runs in a row and then four or five passes in a row. Multiple drives started well and then failed because of stupid first down incompletions.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

V-tech won by 3 against Pitt
    Navy got plungered by South Florida
    Michigan won by 9 to an 0-5 conference team
    Lemson won by 3 on the road
    ville' should have lost again to virginia
    tOSU won by 4 against northwester
    Baylor lost to fucking texas
    BSU lost by to two wyoming
    Tennessee lost to South carolina on the road
    WVU loses to Oky State

Moral of the story is that winning as the season progresses, on the road in conference is not as easy as some make it out to be. Even against incredibly inferior competition. It's not loser talk to win in tough stadiums against good teams. Utah isn't some shit sandwich team like Michigan state.

So maybe a little bit of perspective that we aren't going to hang 50 on every team and that all we? have to do is get to the next game undefeated. Style points are cute for co-eds, but getting fucking W's is all that matters.

This.

But we still should have beaten Ute by 21. Their oline and RB are legit. Their passing game and defense is mediocre
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Utah is way better in the trenches than I thought. Solid team and Im happy with getting the W. I legitimately thought it was going to be a blowout, especially up 14.

Utah would hang with Ohio State or Michigan in the Rose Bowl

Utah is way better in the trenches than I thought. Solid team and Im happy with getting the W. I legitimately thought it was going to be a blowout, especially up 14.

Utah would hang with Ohio State or Michigan in the Rose Bowl

Utah sucks. They win one more game the rest of the Season if they're lucky.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

gmo said:

agreed that wasn't one of our better coached games. I understand "we" never blitz, but they were getting absolutely zero pressure on that cocky fuck all game... believe they blitzed a grand total of once. Result: sack.

I don't get why we rarely blitzed. Joel Klatt or somebody (Baird?...I have unleashed the beer after 17 daze dry) said we only blitz 9% of the time. Williams is sort of mobile but we sacked him when we did.
    We should have blitzed more. Against Arizona too. We keep giving lanes for QBs to run through
    You do realize blitzing opens up more lanes...
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

gmo said:

agreed that wasn't one of our better coached games. I understand "we" never blitz, but they were getting absolutely zero pressure on that cocky fuck all game... believe they blitzed a grand total of once. Result: sack.

I don't get why we rarely blitzed. Joel Klatt or somebody (Baird?...I have unleashed the beer after 17 daze dry) said we only blitz 9% of the time. Williams is sort of mobile but we sacked him when we did.
    We should have blitzed more. Against Arizona too. We keep giving lanes for QBs to run through
    You do realize blitzing opens up more lanes...
    Yeah but at least there are more bodies around the QB.

It is better than dropping everyone but 4 and letting the QB run unharassed for 10+ yards
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

I hate this "at least we won" shit. It's soft and something that a Quook or Coog would say.

And I don't mean it with some bullshit. We should have rather easily to plungered Troy Williams and the mormons, but we were actually losing in the 3rd quarter and tied with 4 min to go. You bet your ass I'm glad that "at least we won."
    Look, I'm as happy as anyone else here, I just hate the Pollyannas here that can't see any wrong.
    We good my nigga
    Not sure an asian should say this
    @HoneyCocaine, true?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxIqTwt_QQ
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

They're gonna save Gaskin for the Apple Cup.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    Tequilla said:

Anybody that is going bat shit crazy on the INT from Browning because of the play call is FS ...

Jake made the read of the Utes being in what looked like Cover 3 or Cover 4 and saw Chico splitting the dropping CB and S ... the problem there is that Jake stared down Chico (running a seem route) and never moved the S off of the spot of where he was trying to go with Chico. It wasn't a great read by Jake (that's a tough throw against Cover 4 particularly) but an even worse throw given that he never moved the safety off of the spot. Probably a Top 5-10 bad play for him on the year.

That being said, to throw the OC under the bus for the play call is probably going a little extreme there. It was 3rd and long so having at least one deep route to clear out and run the safeties back in a Cover-x situation is required. If it's there you take the shot ... if not you check down. That's on Browning ... not the OC.

Nope.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    H_D said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Coleman seems to be a serviceable #2, I just don't see why Dotson is getting carries / series with those 2 ahead of him.
    Dotson is fast enough when he gets outside and around the corner. Between the tackles, he doesn't have the experience, the balance or the cutback abilities, and his high center of gravity makes him easy to trip and tackle.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

In fairness, Gaskin tapped out several times.

There was only one real time where I was upset he was not in and that was when we came out of the third quarter and into the fourth, and we were running really well. Myles had just taken himself out because he ran four straight plays for like 50 yards. Then we hit the quarter break and I was like, "Perfect, Myles will be ready to go now that he gets a breather at the break," but then they came out and he still wasn't in.

This whole thing with Dotson though needs to stop, he missed a MASSIVE hole to his right on a run and I am pretty sure he didn't play after that. I don't have a problem with him in on 3rd and long because he is a REALLY good pass protector and he is pretty good in the screen game. But other than that we just need to roll with Myles and Coleman.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

In fairness, Gaskin tapped out several times.

There was only one real time where I was upset he was not in and that was when we came out of the third quarter and into the fourth, and we were running really well. Myles had just taken himself out because he ran four straight plays for like 50 yards. Then we hit the quarter break and I was like, "Perfect, Myles will be ready to go now that he gets a breather at the break," but then they came out and he still wasn't in.

This whole thing with Dotson though needs to stop, he missed a MASSIVE hole to his right on a run and I am pretty sure he didn't play after that. I don't have a problem with him in on 3rd and long because he is a REALLY good pass protector and he is pretty good in the screen game. But other than that we just need to roll with Myles and Coleman.
    And that is truly bizarre. But yeah, he'll cut the legs outta anyone.