Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penn State rushes the field after win vs Buckeyes in White Out game.

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam

You wouldn't know it because all you could see was the two goal posts as there wasn't one blade of grass that wasn't being covered by 120 yards worth of fans locked in arms singing the schools fight song.

I know Apples and Oranges versus the Beavers, but after our game, there were no students/fans to sing to, so the players got in a circle and sang their school fight song surrounded by cheerleaders.

This group of kids deserve better than that.

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Penn State, even when shitty, has a significantly better game day atmosphere than every single Pac-12 team.

Remember, those people care about Penn State football and nothing else. We have like 10 fans like that.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    godawgst said:

You wouldn't know it because all you could see was the two goal posts as there wasn't one blade of grass that wasn't being covered by 120 yards worth of fans locked in arms singing the schools fight song.

I know Apples and Oranges versus the Beavers, but after our game, there were no students/fans to sing to, so the players got in a circle and sang their school fight song surrounded by cheerleaders.

I agree with you @godawgst, but until the quality of our (?) opponents improve *and* we (?) restore the tradition of winning, I don't anticipate this changing.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

I agree with you @godawgst, but until the quality of our (?) opponents improve *and* we (?) restore the tradition of winning, I don't anticipate this changing.
    Outside of Stanford, when I look at the garbage crowds of 30-45k 5 minutes before kick, approx. 1/5 of the crowds that leaves at halftime, a student section empty by the end of the third, etc, etc the posi-doog in me says "A generation of potential fans only know us as being barely average as a program so it will take more than 1/2 a season of being elite and special to get them in the stadium every week and to become invested in UW football"

But the nega-doog chimes in and thinks "If being #4 and undefeated with this roster, how young we are, how recruiting is going, the apparent re-loading of the program so this thing looks like it is being built to last instead of perpetually re-building doesn't make a person want to get on this train what would?"

Sadly, I am more and more inclined to believe the nega-doog narrative is what ultimately plays out. When Scott W talked about making the new stadium have less than 70k, there was a outcry about taking seats out. I now believe the studies/data they had showed the late 70's-2001 Husky Football I grew up on was dead and not coming back
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Around 2002, there was talk of expanding the stadium to 90,000. It seems almost crazy now. I remember seeing artist's renditions of it.

My best guess is people are still in LIPO mode. Also, aren't tickets crazy expensive now? I haven't been to a gayme in Husky Stadium since Notre Dame in 2005.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tickets on Stubhub @ Utah start at $120

USC @ UW start at $72 with good lower level seats @ $100, *no donation required

Buffalo Bills @ Seattle, section 309, standing room only start at $197

I blame Jen, the President and UW Board of Regents for fucking this up
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Around 2002, there was talk of expanding the stadium to 90,000. It seems almost crazy now. I remember seeing artist's renditions of it.

I remember that too but it was when Lambo was here, so I think that was around 1997.
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    doogie said:

#4 ranking.

Undefeated.

What in the fuck are people waiting for other than perhaps a roster more inclusive of the Rainbow?

UW is surrounded by people who prefer sounders to CFB. It's the fan base. Star some lame thing called the dawg pac, with dawg pac flags, and put up a dawg pac noise o meter. Offer UW scarfs, hats, shirts etc at each game. Offer better scarfs and beanies for making more games. Make gameday a bit easier, and offer like beechers and bacon jam burgers, and dim sum even if it's overpriced. It's not that hard to attract people who don't care about football, just add in that lame shit and it's packed.
    Oh and win.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No racist pedophile crap!
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

In most cases i would agree with all of you. But jesus fuck, it's oregon state. People came out for stanford and absolutely showed that UW can be UW of old. But sometimes you're going to have games where the team coming in has zero fans traveling and our fans choose that game as a time not to attend for any number of reasons. I would love to see it packed to the gills every fucking game too, but I do understand how oregon state isn't exactly a team casual fans are running down ticket scalpers for seats

That's quite possible. I have to wonder how much the current success of the Seahawks plays into this. If I recall correctly, when Don James coached the team we were packing the seats with not only the Husky faithful, but also the casual Seattle sports fans because the Hawks were such shit back then. The stands were full for even the Oregon State game because the Dawgs were the hot ticket. Fast forward to now and all those casual fans would rather spend money to go to a Hawks game.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

godawgst said:

The Huskies should start a tradition by running off the field and into The Zone, and sing their fight song for those standing in the beer line.
    The zone might eat 2k fans at halftime that don't come back, but yesterday there were at least another 10k that never returned after halftime.

If all you are going to watch is the first half of a game, why would you even come? I will never understand that.

Good lord. No stadium in the country stays full for part two of a 31-0 beat down of the little sisters of the poor.

We're the #4 team in the country, with the undisputed tuffest home field advantage in the PAC (fuck off, Utah, with that muss shit) and you want to bitch about the fans?

I screamed my ass off for Stanford and rushed the field. I went to the zone on Saturday at halftime because I was losing my buzz and the game was boring and over. Sue me.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2016
    doogie said:

Tickets on Stubhub @ Utah start at $120

USC @ UW start at $72 with good lower level seats @ $100, *no donation required

Buffalo Bills @ Seattle, section 309, standing room only start at $197

I blame Jen, the President and UW Board of Regents for fucking this up

The UW athletic department is a steaming pile of shit, no doubt. But I see this issue as a Janet Rheano type thing, with a lot of factors in play and many of them being inter-related. Pussy-ass scarftard fanbase, generation of losing, terrible marketing, the idea of not wanting to waste your entire day when literally every P5 team is on TV every Saturday, shit scheduling, being located in a major city with unlimited entertainment options as opposed to a school like Nebraska, the Seahawks have been good for most of the past 13 or so years while we? were in the gutter, etc.

And I may be wrong on this, but I really think the biggest factor is fucking ridiculous ticket prices, especially in THIS economy!!11!!!1! The stock market has never been higher but thanks to Obubba (and aided by Bush), real wages are down and the average family has less disposable income than any time since I've been alive. And with at-home viewing providing a better experience than ever, I think there's the 10-15k fans that used to provide a packed house can't/won't/refuse to pay the extremely expensive ticket prices. I'm mainly talking season tickets here because that is your base group, you can't count on variable individual game sales from week-to-week. I'm not taking into account shitty east endzone seats either. So if you just want a GA season ticket, you're shelling out over $70/game. And with Rutgers, the annual FCS team, Idaho and the Beavs, you're wasting $275 MINIMUM this year on games you don't care about and won't be fun or won't even go to. And if you and your wife (or preferably your kid's other dad) want tickets, you're wasting over $550 this year on shit games. Plus with demand being fairly low, there is no reason to spend that extra money when you can easily just cherry pick the few games you want to go to. So as a fucking general admission season ticket holder of 1 seat, you're essentially paying $166 per somewhat-meaningful game. That's just outrageous and especially at a time where people are having to budget their money, I see no scenario where this is not hurting ticket sales. And I don't blame people for saying 'fuck this' and not getting season tickets.

Oh...and if you want something other than GA, add a minimum of $250 per seat to that. And say you want your son to have memories of crisp Fall Saturday afternoons at the stadium with his 2 dads while not having to get to the stadium 3 hours early to squat on a seat, you're shelling out $2200+/yr. Plus parking, food, all that shit. But all kidding aside, it's hard for families to come up with that kind of money annually to see Pool Boy/Jen/Sark's genius C-C-C scheduling model in action.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2016
    ... and standing room only tickets for the next Seattle Seahawks game vs. who? Start at $200 on the secondary market.

go figure