Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Just a reminder. I called a Clinton win by 20% two months ago. I stand by that.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

The conventional wisdom that the GOP can't win nationally appears to be half true. They lost the pop vote again but brushed off the road map to an electoral win.

They did it by running a Democrat.

Both parties could learn something from that. The GOP doesn't need a true believer conservative evangelical to win and the Democrats could use a candidate that is closer to center without being a corporate whore

I watched George Will say this country probably is no longer center right as the GOP has long believed. He might be right. This election shows the country wants an issue candidate that doesn't get too ideological, is basically centrist when you put everything together, and is interested in putting America and it's workers first. Simple.
    George Will is a whiny B that absolutely hated Reagan when Reagan was elected. He talked endlessly about the end of the party back then, so I wouldn't put much stock into what he is saying now.

I'm not saying Trump is Reagan, but I am saying Will is a drippy c.
    I have no love for George Will, but he might be right. I think a lot of smart people are trying to understand if traditional "left right" politics make sense anymore. Look at Trump. He isn't conservative or liberal, he is both, depending on the issue. And he won.
    He may be right, he may be wrong, but Will is a drippy C.

Reagan came in and won, and in the process redefined what "conservative" was to the Republican party. Remember the Republican party of Nixon include price controls and lots of other things that are considered anything but conservative now, and hell even Reagan was not traditionally conservative on lots of things as well...he was known to slap tariffs on imports as an example.

The bigger story really is the trainwreck that is the Democratic Party...they have the least amount of power in a long time, the "leadership" is the washed up Clinton camp, and nobody really knows who the next leaders are going to be in their group and what they are going to be running on.

Great poast. The narrative prior to #Trexit was the death of the Republican party. By winning the presidency, both houses of congress, and 33 governorships, that narrative is now as dead as Garland's appointment to the supreme court. The real story here is the trainwreck that is the Democrat Party. Praise be Pat Haden.
    The GOP is still in trouble. They just lost the popular vote to the worst major party presidential candidate of all time. Demographics changes are still trending in the wrong direction. This was a nice dead cat bounce for the GOP, but they're fools if they think this means they're safe. They still have major issues they need to fix stat if they want to be at all relevant in 15 years.

This at least buys them a little time to get their shit together or put Sven in charge, but the smart money says they think this is a vote of confidence for their old ways. If they take it that way they'll still fall apart very soon.
    Don't completely disagree, but anybody who thinks they are safe are morons.

Repubs have majorities in the House, Senate, Governors houses, State Houses, and the President...they have to be doing something right. They have some demographic problems, but its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. As an example, 1st generation Hispanic households vote something like 90% Democratic, but for 2nd generation Hispanic households its only something like 60%. In the end if they fuck-up they will get voted out...if they make things better people will gravitate to them.

Dems have much bigger issues...specifically they only have an image that resonates to the coasts, no real message or messenger they can point to right now to draw people to them, and their plan on importing voters isn't going to fix those problems.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

The conventional wisdom that the GOP can't win nationally appears to be half true. They lost the pop vote again but brushed off the road map to an electoral win.

Both parties could learn something from that. The GOP doesn't need a true believer conservative evangelical to win and the Democrats could use a candidate that is closer to center without being a corporate whore

I watched George Will say this country probably is no longer center right as the GOP has long believed. He might be right. This election shows the country wants an issue candidate that doesn't get too ideological, is basically centrist when you put everything together, and is interested in putting America and it's workers first. Simple.
    George Will is a whiny B that absolutely hated Reagan when Reagan was elected. He talked endlessly about the end of the party back then, so I wouldn't put much stock into what he is saying now.

I have no love for George Will, but he might be right. I think a lot of smart people are trying to understand if traditional "left right" politics make sense anymore. Look at Trump. He isn't conservative or liberal, he is both, depending on the issue. And he won.

Reagan came in and won, and in the process redefined what "conservative" was to the Republican party. Remember the Republican party of Nixon include price controls and lots of other things that are considered anything but conservative now, and hell even Reagan was not traditionally conservative on lots of things as well...he was known to slap tariffs on imports as an example.

The bigger story really is the trainwreck that is the Democratic Party...they have the least amount of power in a long time, the "leadership" is the washed up Clinton camp, and nobody really knows who the next leaders are going to be in their group and what they are going to be running on.

Great poast. The narrative prior to #Trexit was the death of the Republican party. By winning the presidency, both houses of congress, and 33 governorships, that narrative is now as dead as Garland's appointment to the supreme court. The real story here is the trainwreck that is the Democrat Party. Praise be Pat Haden.
    The GOP is still in trouble. They just lost the popular vote to the worst major party presidential candidate of all time. Demographics changes are still trending in the wrong direction. This was a nice dead cat bounce for the GOP, but they're fools if they think this means they're safe. They still have major issues they need to fix stat if they want to be at all relevant in 15 years.

This at least buys them a little time to get their shit together or put Sven in charge, but the smart money says they think this is a vote of confidence for their old ways. If they take it that way they'll still fall apart very soon.

Repubs have majorities in the House, Senate, Governors houses, State Houses, and the President...they have to be doing something right. They have some demographic problems, but its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. As an example, 1st generation Hispanic households vote something like 90% Democratic, but for 2nd generation Hispanic households its only something like 60%. In the end if they fuck-up they will get voted out...if they make things better people will gravitate to them.

Dems have much bigger issues...specifically they only have an image that resonates to the coasts, no real message or messenger they can point to right now to draw people to them, and their plan on importing voters isn't going to fix those problems.
    Republicans lost seats in both the house and Senate. And the nature of the map, more congressional districts are conservative. So yes they are winning the rural uneducated votes. Congrats!!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Agree the democratic party has big issues, perhaps bigger. But I think any partisan in either party who thinks "the other side is in trouble = we're safe!" is a complete fool.

The two parties are racing to see who falls apart first. Considering I'm rooting for the team in red, I hope they get their shit together soon. It's like when your school is AD'd by Turner and coached by Ty, you hope you're wrong about the incompetence at the top but you mostly just want to fire everybody and start over.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Republicans lost seats in both the house and Senate. And the nature of the map, more congressional districts are conservative. So yes they are winning the rural uneducated votes. Congrats!!
    We'll put you down as not a fan of enfranchising the poor and disadvantaged.
    Uneducated is not synonymous with poor and disadvantaged.

HTH
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

HTH
    Damn just when I thought I was catching on the whole codewords thing.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

HTH
    Damn just when I thought I was catching on the whole codewords thing.
    Hondo is evolving.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Ozone123.

Pretty sure this is the origin story. Big ups to my nega @allpurpleallgold.