Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

4 x Coach of Year and 3 x World Series Champ Weighs In

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2016
    I gave up caring about baseball a long time ago. It's boring to me and there is too much standing around. I liked football and football, and would have played hockey if I grew up in the frozen tundra.

The fact of the matter is it's the only major sport with no clock. No one wants to watch a gayball adjust his cunt strap in the batters box while the pitcher fingers his butt. And it isn't a contact sport.

No contest for purp, and most millennials agree.

It has always been an urban sport, but somehow black people in America don't give a shit. Figure that out or come up with reasons if you want.

Anyways. This article is interesting and may provide some food for thought. I didn't read because it's about baseball and who the fuck cares. Grandpa sure loved it, but he is dead now.

nytimes.com/2013/09/29/opinion/sunday/is-the-game-over.html?_r=0

In closing...put a shot clock in, let them roid up, and start having promotion and relegation to give small markets a chance. The farm system concept is dumb. I prefer if pitchers have to hit, but you can argue DH rule because it supposedly makes for more offense. To me, it's a wasted roster spot on someone who doesn't field or do anything besides be slow and fat.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    PurpleJ said:

I gave up caring about baseball a long time ago. It's boring to me and there is too much standing around. .

or you gave it up because you suck at it
  • Options
    and ftr I agree on the pitch clock, and on limiting mound visits.

The DH I think is a necessary evil as offense is down enough and watching the pitcher strike out on 3 pitchers looking like an absolute retard doing it isn't baseball. it's just run suppression.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Good article. The piece happens to be from 3 years ago and around that time, MLB started tinkering with some things in the minors and spring training to prepare younger players for speeding the game up. Besides trying a pitching clock, they have also experimented with making a batter keep one foot in the batters box and limiting the number and duration of mound visits per inning.

It's also interesting that he mentioned the lovable losers because the Cubs just clinched their division tonight and should reach 100 wins this year.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was the best pitcher/hitter on my t-ball team. Five tool player. I retired to go play a sport where I didn't have to stand around all the time, though I enjoyed giving autographs and having chicks want to go play on the monkey bars with me. I didn't want to end up a fat addict like Babe Ruth.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2016
    I heard a taped in-studio plea on KIRO by the new ceo selling $8 tickets while telling people this is the weekend to listen to both the Husky and Seahawks games on the radio and come support the Mariners.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    doogie said:

I heard a taped in-studio plea on KIRO by the new ceo selling $8 tickets while telling people this is the weekend to listen to both the Husky and Seahawks games on the radio and come support the Mariners.

I'll be watching good football on TV instead.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

Maybe black people as a whole are just hipper than the rest of America and figured out that baseball is an uncool fag sport for nancy boys.

Is it allowed as a guilty pleasure? Just to watch Cruz turn baseballs to dust?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

doogie said:

Leach has been Cougar coach of the year 4 straight years. I thought this was about him

I might be in the minority on this board, but I think Leach is a good coach; definitely in the top half of the conference, or at least at #6. His air raid attack and consistent coaching philosophy will net him 6-8 wins every year, which will make coogs ecstatic. In my mind, it takes an impressive coach to do that in Pullman. He definitely does fuck up on occasion, ala their bowl game against CSU. But still, he's better than 95% of the coaches they could get to sign a contract on the Palouse.
    No, no. Everyone thinks he's a great coach. I hope they sign him to a 10 year contract, in fact. Build him a pirate ship on campus, and let him run over his weakest players with steamrollers. I love that Leach is at WSU. He's a perfect fit. Fucking Love it!
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

dnc said:

doogie said:

Leach has been Cougar coach of the year 4 straight years. I thought this was about him

I might be in the minority on this board, but I think Leach is a good coach; definitely in the top half of the conference, or at least at #6. His air raid attack and consistent coaching philosophy will net him 6-8 wins every year, which will make coogs ecstatic. In my mind, it takes an impressive coach to do that in Pullman. He definitely does fuck up on occasion, ala their bowl game against CSU. But still, he's better than 95% of the coaches they could get to sign a contract on the Palouse.
    No, no. Everyone thinks he's a great coach. I hope they sign him to a 10 year contract, in fact. Build him a pirate ship on campus, and let him run over his weakest players with steamrollers. I love that Leach is at WSU. He's a perfect fit. Fucking Love it!
    Whoooooooooooooooooooooooosh
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,981
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited September 2016
    In the 90s and early 2000s, it seemed like it was more of a cool, young(er) sport. I remember spending and wasting a lot of time on beisbol cards from about 1987-1992 as well. There was also more offense/HR's, and let's face it, there were more native born Americans playing, both black and white. People are tribal, even if they claim not to be (look at Trump's popularity). Nothing against Hugh or Yu Darvish, or whatever his name is, but it's hard to get as attached to him as Randy Johnson 20 years ago. He's half Iranian and half Japanese. He probably speaks broken English. He's not as marketable.

I think the steroids as well as the subsequent lack of offense over the past 10 or 12 years have hurt it as well. I know this board loves roids and cheats, but a lot of people don't like cheaters who bulked up from 205 to 240 and hit 60 homers instead of 43.

Who are the stars now? Bryce Harper? Total douche. Mike Trout? He seems like an okay guy but he's not a natural star.

As for black kids, I think it's either football or basketball for most of them, and it has been that way for at least 30 years. To that point, I looked at an old h.s. yearbook from 20 years ago (I'm not middle aged yet SFJ). There was one black kid (who I knew) on the baseball teams (both varsity and j.v.) out of probably 30 kids.

The basketball team was 75% black if not more and the football team was 50-60% black. The school was about 30% black overall, maybe a little higher than that.
  • Options

In the 90s and early 2000s, it seemed like it was more of a cool, young(er) sport. I remember spending and wasting a lot of time on beisbol cards from about 1987-1992 as well. There was also more offense/HR's, and let's face it, there were more native born Americans playing, both black and white. People are tribal, even if they claim not to be (look at Trump's popularity). Nothing against Hugh or Yu Darvish, or whatever his name is, but it's hard to get as attached to him as Randy Johnson 20 years ago. He's half Iranian and half Japanese. He probably speaks broken English. He's not as marketable.

I think the steroids as well as the subsequent lack of offense over the past 10 or 12 years have hurt it as well. I know this board loves roids and cheats, but a lot of people don't like cheaters who bulked up from 205 to 240 and hit 60 homers instead of 43.

Who are the stars now? Bryce Harper? Total douche. Mike Trout? He seems like an okay guy but he's not a natural star.

As for black kids, I think it's either football or basketball for most of them, and it has been that way for at least 30 years. To that point, I looked at an old h.s. yearbook from 20 years ago (I'm not middle aged yet SFJ). There was one black kid (who I knew) on the baseball teams (both varsity and j.v.) out of probably 30 kids.

The basketball team was 75% black if not more and the football team was 50-60% black. The school was about 30% black overall, maybe a little higher than that.

stars in baseball are generally beloved in their own town probably more than a football or basketball player and casually followed around the country. A product of baseball nowadays being as I said regional.
    See Felix Hernandez in Seattle, Mike Trout in LA, or David Ortiz in Boston. Nationally, people may gawk at their numbers but it's still not must see tv by the nature of the game.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Baseball is so boring that this thread about race lost my interest before the end of page one.