Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Obamacare Website Quietly Deletes Reference to "Free Health Care"

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

I'd say Glass-Steagall was a good form of government intervention into the free-market.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

“Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.”
    Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.
    Um...yes..check the facts. Or do some analysis and research...
    I did, and I've made my ruling.

Did I stutter?
    Explain to me how GS would have saved AIG, Bear Stearns and Lehman. Let me help you...it wouldn't have. It might have prevented BofA from failing...but there were many other issues at play.

You can now go back to parroting what you heard. "Hi Kim!"
    If you need it explained to you, you need to go do more research. HTH.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

I'd say Glass-Steagall was a good form of government intervention into the free-market.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

“Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.”
    Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?
    Explain to me how GS would have saved AIG, Bear Stearns and Lehman. Let me help you...it wouldn't have. It might have prevented BofA from failing...but there were many other issues at play.

So you agree...GS repeal had very little bearing on 2008 and your "scoreboard" statement was off base. Good to know,
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,037
    Damone, your argument style is to constantly redefine things = increasingly progressive waste of energy to me. It's like pulling into a parking spot, then constantly changing spots because the angle that most people see your car at can constantly be improved upon, but unfortunately to the people walking by, it's still the same car.
    Bill Maher does this. He memorizes his talking points, then constantly redefines and backs out of a bad position he's taken.
    I like how you frame that economics is not about politics, yet you constantly talk about how the gov fucks up the economy by intervening...so then it is political......

BTW, the answer you were looking for is that free markets don't exist, because governments always make decisions which intrude. OK.
    I take it that was the talking point your were pivoting from.

If govs don't step in in bad recessions and spend $ on large public projects and regulate things, very little can prevent unemployment from skyrocketing and lasting potentially forever. I suspect a "true free market system" would have millions->billions of deaths in every subsequent recession from unemployed people starving.

To smart-guy: AIG is an insurance company. AIG insured those high-quality AAA-rated mortgages in those CDOs. They failed to realize the scope of the market they were insuring and failed to pay.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_Group
    Fortunately the gov bailed them out, and didn't allow the web of the insurance industry to collapse and fail.

Also, alcoholic beverages get consumed more in a bad economy. One of the few good industries to invest in during recessions.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

So you agree...GS repeal had very little bearing on 2008 and your "scoreboard" statement was off base. Good to know,
    I stand by my scoreboard statement. 100%.

GS prevents the "great recession". You can't disprove that.
    priapism said:

Damone, your argument style is to constantly redefine things = increasingly progressive waste of energy to me. It's like pulling into a parking spot, then constantly changing spots because the angle that most people see your car at can constantly be improved upon, but unfortunately to the people walking by, it's still the same car.
    Bill Maher does this. He memorizes his talking points, then constantly redefines and backs out of a bad position he's taken.
    I like how you frame that economics is not about politics, yet you constantly talk about how the gov fucks up the economy by intervening...so then it is political......

BTW, the answer you were looking for is that free markets don't exist, because governments always make decisions which intrude. OK.
    I take it that was the talking point your were pivoting from.

If govs don't step in in bad recessions and spend $ on large public projects and regulate things, very little can prevent unemployment from skyrocketing and lasting potentially forever. I suspect a "true free market system" would have millions->billions of deaths in every subsequent recession from unemployed people starving.

To smart-guy: AIG is an insurance company. AIG insured those high-quality AAA-rated mortgages in those CDOs. They failed to realize the scope of the market they were insuring and failed to pay.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_Group
    Fortunately the gov bailed them out, and didn't allow the web of the insurance industry to collapse and fail.

Also, alcoholic beverages get consumed more in a bad economy. One of the few good industries to invest in during recessions.

I'm glad you were able to explain to Thomas how GS had little bearing on 2008. Thanks.

What you fail to understand, or grasp, is that you and others want to frame it as a"right wingers" vs. "liberals"..that's what I mean when I say it's not about politics. Your'e defining the government as "Political"...it's not.

Explain how I re-framed the argument.

Oh...your Keynesian slip is showing... "Bad Recessions?" You act like those aren't largely created by misguided government fiscal and monetary policy in the first place.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

good Christ. You can't prove it because it would simply not have pretended it. You know what GS did, right? I'm starting to doubt that. You do not agree that AIG, Bear and Lehman would not have been saved by GS? Please. You seriously need to do some research on GS and what happened.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,037
    Yes, I believe in regulation, because the sociopaths always come in and fuck things up...both gov officials and corrupt business men. Just can't trust that 1-3% of the population. I adequately explained how you reframed that economics isn't political...yet it is - from your mantra that govs constantly fuck up the free market system.

Goldman Scams is the central station for sociopaths. They need a really big fire in NYC headquarters.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

good Christ. You can't prove it because it would simply not have pretended it. You know what GS did, right? I'm starting to doubt that. You do not agree that AIG, Bear and Lehman would not have been saved by GS? Please. You seriously need to do some research on GS and what happened.
    So the GS repeal was a good thing in your mind?

Amazing...

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    It was irrelevant when it was repealed. A lot of smart people, such as Bill Clinton, agree.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    It was irrelevant when it was repealed. A lot of smart people, such as Bill Clinton, agree.
    I know you are being sarcastic, but he didn't repeal it because he wanted to.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    really, then why did he?

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    really, then why did he?
    Probably the weed.

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    really, then why did he?
    Probably the weed.
    Or the pussy.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    really, then why did he?
    Probably the weed.
    Or the pussy.
    Why do you hate abundance?

Scoreboard don't lie.

Not really.

Cute quote.

Check the facts, doe.

Did I stutter?

Amazing...
    really, then why did he?
    Probably the weed.
    Or the pussy.
    Why do you hate abundance?
    Add some Bombay Sapphire and we have the triple crown. Fucker would sign anything.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Clinton 2016

Chelsea, right?

Clinton 2016

Chelsea, right?
    George...duh.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    I am actually for a pure, single-payer system. But...

And its a big but, I would deport/cull half the US population prior to said system commencing.

My people tell me this is not politically feasible in this day and age, but one can only have hope

I am actually for a pure, single-payer system. But...

And its a big but, I would deport/cull half the US population prior to said system commencing.

My people tell me this is not politically feasible in this day and age, but one can only have hope

I'd agree with that plan if it was realistic.