Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why Tequilla should be permabanned (deserves own thread)

13»

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Since some of you miserable people like to hold onto screenshots for almost 10 years, that's fine ... but you can lose some of the context

There's no way in 2007 that I was on the Tyrone train ... I thought that his ceiling was going to be 5-4 or 6-3 in the conference. It was more of a statement about where I thought Oregon was going under Belotti ... then Chip happened.

The fallacy is that the Oregon under Chip Kelly was the Oregon that was in place for the balance of the continuing streak ... that's not been the case. After the special Fiesta Bowl season of 2001, Oregon's record from 2002-2007 was 46-29 and only 28-22 in conference on the back of a 7-1 conference record in 2005. Their bowls in that period were the Seattle, Sun, none, Holiday, Vegas, and Sun.

Anybody that claims that they saw an 80-14 record and 55-8 in conference over the 2008-2014 time period with 2 appearances in the National Championship game is fooling themselves.

Just for perspective, since 2009, Washington is 50-41 overall (55% winning percentage). If you back out 2009, the record moves up to 45-34 overall (57% winning percentage). Oregon's winning percentage from 2002-2007 was 61%. To say that a UW 5-7 year dominate run is coming would be as likely as saying that was coming after Oregon's 2007 season.

From 2008-2014, I saw Oregon go 80-14. It was no mirage when they went 55-8 in conference. Even Grandpa Sankey watched their two appearances in the NC game.

I'm hearing Auburndoog now concedes UW didn't dominate the Pac-North during the same period.

Other than that and your love of Tyrone, I'd say you were and are spot on.
    1) I was never a fan of Tyrone ... I can't say that enough ... as I said, I thought that at best he'd get the program in a position where the leap could take place with the next coach. I'd seen enough of him at Stanford and Notre Dame to see that he wasn't an elite coach.

2) I'm not downplaying Oregon's 2008-2014 run ... what I'm saying is that if after the 2007 season, or even during the early portions of the 2008 season, if I would have told you that over the next 7 years Oregon would win 80 games and play for 2 National Championships, you would have said that I was crazy.

3) If you want to draw any parallels to those comments and this year's UW, it would be that all of this talk about how UW can't do this and that because the program has been losers for the last 15 years is BS. Things that were happening in 2004 have no impact on this team IMO ... the Freshman on this team were 5-6 years old then. All that matters is what they do on the field this year. I'll at least buy some of the stuff that happened last year as reason to pull the "I'll wait until they prove it." But anything that was tied to this team before these players/staff were part of it is absolute BS.
    I voted you up because you have balls.

Here is the deal: Washington has sucked for the better part of two decades. If your team has a down year or two, it's ok to point to upticks in recruiting or even metrics suggesting the team was better than their record. When you suck for as long as UW? Not so much.

Washington sucks until they don't. It's really that simple.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm not doubling down on the prediction ... I'm explaining that the trends that I was seeing was suggesting that Oregon was heading back to mediocrity. I absolutely missed on how far Tyrone took the program down ... I was expecting that he'd leave the program basically where Sark did ... I'll own that. What I'm not going to own (because I've never been one that thought he'd ever get this program back to competing for conference championships) is this idea that I was dooging for Tyrone. That was never the case.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2016
    Tequilla said:

I'm not doubling down on the prediction ... I'm explaining that the trends that I was seeing was suggesting that Oregon was heading back to mediocrity. I absolutely missed on how far Tyrone took the program down ... I was expecting that he'd leave the program basically where Sark did ... I'll own that. What I'm not going to own (because I've never been one that thought he'd ever get this program back to competing for conference championships) is this idea that I was dooging for Tyrone. That was never the case.

Please. Just. Stop.
    If you have to explain what you were explaining, you've already lost.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Since some of you miserable people like to hold onto screenshots for almost 10 years, that's fine ... but you can lose some of the context

There's no way in 2007 that I was on the Tyrone train ... I thought that his ceiling was going to be 5-4 or 6-3 in the conference. It was more of a statement about where I thought Oregon was going under Belotti ... then Chip happened.

The fallacy is that the Oregon under Chip Kelly was the Oregon that was in place for the balance of the continuing streak ... that's not been the case. After the special Fiesta Bowl season of 2001, Oregon's record from 2002-2007 was 46-29 and only 28-22 in conference on the back of a 7-1 conference record in 2005. Their bowls in that period were the Seattle, Sun, none, Holiday, Vegas, and Sun.

Anybody that claims that they saw an 80-14 record and 55-8 in conference over the 2008-2014 time period with 2 appearances in the National Championship game is fooling themselves.

Just for perspective, since 2009, Washington is 50-41 overall (55% winning percentage). If you back out 2009, the record moves up to 45-34 overall (57% winning percentage). Oregon's winning percentage from 2002-2007 was 61%. To say that a UW 5-7 year dominate run is coming would be as likely as saying that was coming after Oregon's 2007 season.

From 2008-2014, I saw Oregon go 80-14. It was no mirage when they went 55-8 in conference. Even Grandpa Sankey watched their two appearances in the NC game.

I'm hearing Auburndoog now concedes UW didn't dominate the Pac-North during the same period.

Other than that and your love of Tyrone, I'd say you were and are spot on.
    1) I was never a fan of Tyrone ... I can't say that enough ... as I said, I thought that at best he'd get the program in a position where the leap could take place with the next coach. I'd seen enough of him at Stanford and Notre Dame to see that he wasn't an elite coach.

2) I'm not downplaying Oregon's 2008-2014 run ... what I'm saying is that if after the 2007 season, or even during the early portions of the 2008 season, if I would have told you that over the next 7 years Oregon would win 80 games and play for 2 National Championships, you would have said that I was crazy.

3) If you want to draw any parallels to those comments and this year's UW, it would be that all of this talk about how UW can't do this and that because the program has been losers for the last 15 years is BS. Things that were happening in 2004 have no impact on this team IMO ... the Freshman on this team were 5-6 years old then. All that matters is what they do on the field this year. I'll at least buy some of the stuff that happened last year as reason to pull the "I'll wait until they prove it." But anything that was tied to this team before these players/staff were part of it is absolute BS.
    Do they not teach about fucking culture in TCU's MBA program? Peterman might be the guy to turn around the culture at UW but it's been a fucking loser mentality culture at the highest levels since before Don James retired.
    I support fucking culture
  • Options
    Why is Tequila not on the Friday Harbor math & data show?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

Where is the filter in his brain that should be telling him I've lost this one, I should take my lumps, laugh it off and move on.

Fascinating.

He doesn't have one.

Just like his idol.
  • Options
    I like Teq, moreso on the pod, but I frequently sense his keyboard querying "Again? Really? Why?"
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Laugh and move on I can so easily ...

People saying things I didn't say ... not going to let that slide
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Laugh and move on I can so easily ...

People saying things I didn't say ... not going to let that slide

The screenshots speak for themselves.