Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Stanford opens up as 6.5 point favorites

Two years ago when a ranked UW team traveled to Stanford they were 20 point underdogs and got plunger raped 65-21.

Last year UW was 8.5 point underdogs to Stanford and upset them 17-13.

I think this single digit point spread shows UW can win the game but it's not likely. Also shows that we shouldn't accept a "moral victory" or excuse a plunger raping loss either.

If Sark and this program has turned the corner you'll see a good showing this Saturday. If Sark wants us off his back the Huskies will get the victory which they are very capable of doing.

Comments

• unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    Going full doog here, but this is a winnable game on paper, unlike OR
  • Going full doog here, but this is a winnable game on paper, unlike OR

Agree. At home I think UW could actually beat Stanford. I expect a good competitive game most of the game. If we get plunger raped to Stanford by over 30 then this is the same ole Sark soft ass team.

Oregon? Well they are national championship good and we aren't ready for them unless black mamba doesn't play. Even with him out I'd still take them over UW by 14+.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    this is a nightmare matchup, I think Oregon is more winnable than this game however Stanford will be closer
    chance of winning
    @Stan 5%
    Oregon 6%
    sark at home is okay, sark on the road is a fucking dreckfest
  • dhdawg said:

this is a nightmare matchup, I think Oregon is more winnable than this game however Stanford will be closer
    chance of winning
    @Stan 5%
    Oregon 6%
    sark at home is okay, sark on the road is a fucking dreckfest

Agree with your premise but using my eye test lol Oregon is a different animal than Stanford.

Sark at home is fine against good to shitty teams. He has yet to beat a powerhouse like this year Oregon.

Stanford I think isn't likely to get a win but if I had to pick UW to win one I'd pick Stanford even with Sark's horrible road record.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,863 Founders Club
    I don't see us being able to physically match up against Stanford up front. if we load up the box then Hogan will hurt us on play action. The Huskies need a couple of gigantic breaks to go their way.
  • GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    I said the same thing last year, and the Dawgs pulled one of the top 2-3 surprises of the Sark era. That was in Seattle and without Hogan, but still makes me cautious. That win, plus the two notable wins against USC are the only reason I could stand Sark, and that stopped after the Apple Cup last year.

I can't see us doing the same thing this year, and think the Dawgs will do well to stay within 10.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

I don't see us being able to physically match up against Stanford up front. if we load up the box then Hogan will hurt us on play action. The Huskies need a couple of gigantic breaks to go their way.

It's not just their O-line and Hogan. They're powerful, smart, and balanced on offense and defense. Football is about match ups, and this is the poorest match up on the Huskies schedule. I agree, it will take some gigantic breaks going the Huskies way for them to pull off an upset.

Stanford is probably the best team in the conference. When they play a complete game they can beat anyone. The Huskies are not there yet, though I have to admit that they are much more athletic than I expected going into the season. If they play within themselves, catch key breaks, and minimize mistakes they may keep the score close, but IMO, they can only win on the back of Stanford mistakes. If Stanford plays error free ball, Stanford will win big.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

It's not just their O-line and Hogan. They're powerful, smart, and balanced on offense and defense. Football is about match ups, and this is the poorest match up on the Huskies schedule. I agree, it will take some gigantic breaks going the Huskies way for them to pull off an upset.

Stanford is probably the best team in the conference. When they play a complete game they can beat anyone. The Huskies are not there yet, though I have to admit that they are much more athletic than I expected going into the season. If they play within themselves, catch key breaks, and minimize mistakes they may keep the score close, but IMO, they can only win on the back of Stanford mistakes. If Stanford plays error free ball, Stanford will win big.
    Disagree.

I understand your point about the lines, and I agree it's a bad matchup there for us. But at least we have actual advantages against Stanford. Against Oregon we're playing a team that's built like us except they're better at basically every position except maybe starting RB and TE. They're also better coached, more disciplined and more experienced with what they're trying to do.

I don't think we win either game, but I think I'll at least still be interested early in the fourth quarter against Stanford. UO breaks out the plunger midway through the third, at the latest.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    Fuck keeping it close. Winners win
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Is the line up to 10 yet?

#FreeMoneySaturday
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    Sark's playing with USC house money now.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam
    I called for a Stanford blowout last year and expect one again for the same reasons. They're a horrible matchup for a team with only one 300 pound DL.

The differences last year were: 1) home game, 2) forgot about Tokolahi, 3) didn't know how shitty Nunes was, 4) Montgomery dropped like 3 or 4 balls that could have put us away.

I don't think UW has any one of those things going for it this time. We lose by 3 scores. The D hangs tough for a while but melts by the end of the 3rd.
  • MarkKoopmanMarkKoopman Member Posts: 33

You got them mixed up. Very little chance if any of a victory down in Palo Alto (hi Mike) this Saturday, but against Ore at home a small chance.

That being said, I see Ore winning 48-24 when the game is played.

This weekend will...to borrow the plunger-rape term used here will be ugly. At least 30 point margin and I also see Stanford also getting near 50, if not getting 50.

• priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,063
    UW has the 4th ranked D in the country. UW plays with 5 DEs and wins 14-13.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

You got them mixed up. Very little chance if any of a victory down in Palo Alto (hi Mike) this Saturday, but against Ore at home a small chance.

That being said, I see Ore winning 48-24 when the game is played.

This weekend will...to borrow the plunger-rape term used here will be ugly. At least 30 point margin and I also see Stanford also getting near 50, if not getting 50.

I agree. Oregon is a much better match up for Washington, but no more likely a win because (as has already been poasted) they're similar teams, except Oregon is better than UW pretty much across the board, and they're executing at a much higher level.

You might be right on the margins as well. Folks forget that the biggest conference plunger of the Sarkingham error has been at Stanford's hands. They hung 65 on the Huskies in 2011, and that game was worse than the score reflected. A week and a half ago they tore ASU a new ass, and would have won by a much bigger margin if Shaw hadn't gotten cute early in the second half, deciding to give his backups some playing time way before the game was over. I didn't see the whole game against WSU, but it looked like he was a little smarter this time and kept the gas powered plunger-o-matic humming until late in the game. I guess we'll see what happens soon enough, but my money is on the annual three game skid starting this week.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Using last year's game is as bad as the people who said Arizona was going to beat us because they beat us last year.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    you're brilliant more_Weenie. The biggest Sark hater is suddenly on the wagon. Like most of you ignant cunts
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    and if UW loses ya'll will be saying "I told you so, Sark can't coach". Even though they're playing, in my mind, the best team in the country, and the most difficult schedule in the country left to play. OSU might be ranked by that game.

Sark would have this team in the rose bowl if Stanford and Oregon were just average. Its almost unfair what Sark has to deal with this year, and last (which is why he might take SC job. )
  • Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170
    Global said:

I said the same thing last year, and the Dawgs pulled one of the top 2-3 surprises of the Sark era. That was in Seattle and without Hogan, but still makes me cautious. That win, plus the two notable wins against USC are the only reason I could stand Sark, and that stopped after the Apple Cup last year.

I can't see us doing the same thing this year, and think the Dawgs will do well to stay within 10.

Stanford's QB performance against us last year was one of the worst I've ever seen. Missed numerous wide open opportunities. That terrible play allowed us to stack the box and have some success against their run game. We won't be able to do that this year with Hogan at the helm. I don't see us winning this game unless we call a perfect game on offense and really stretch the field.

Our pass blocking has been decent, but not great so far this year. Stanford will get sacks with a 3-man rush.