Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Stanford

Do they even have a bored?

Comments

• Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    They seem to have no interested fan base. Which makes me wonder if they have any boosters... and if not... how did they get a good FB coach? Lucky fuckers.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    Thanks god Zuckerberg didn't run track at SU
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,670 Founders Club
    I've run across a few many years ago. One laid into me because I dared to say illegal immigration was a problem in this country. He probably got a scholarsheeep beecause he was LateeenoXicanoCheecanoHeespanic.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Met a recruiter for the Stanford School of Bio-engineering this past week.

She thinks Stanford should start a trend and drop football, much like Western did.

Believes it is barbaric and causes too many issues when players get old.

Fucking Christ ...
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    If there was ever a fan base that deserved nothing, its Stanford.

Co-workers older brother was a DB there in the 80's, total fag. Doesn't care one iota about the program
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    win

Clap. Clap. Clap.

I live in a large community housing for disabled vets, so I am sure several people share the same IP address. Just talked to our VA lawyer and he said there is nothing in the Terms of Service about that.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074
    edited September 2013

Co-workers older brother was a DB there in the 80's, total fag. Doesn't care one iota about the program

people who don't have school-aged kids don't fully appreciate just how hard that school is to get into. Basically, if you didn't get in under the alternative admissions process for jocks, you're a fucking genius.

it's Harvard, Princeton or Yale, take your pick, on the west coast. it is rather surprising that they even want to be in division 1a in anything other than crew and women's soccer or field hockey.

Berkeley, USC and UCLA are very hard to get into as well, but Stanford is on another level entirely. They are the full equivalent of an upper-tier Ivy League school. Equal to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia, better than Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, and Penn. Stanford's admission rate is around 5% - UW's, by way of comparison, is around 60%.

Think about that when these questions occur to you. Those schools are a world apart from where you and I were educated. You take a math class at Stanford, and there is literally nobody in there who didn't score in the upper 90th percentile on the math section of the SATs. A co-worker's son, educated at private eastside schools, plays a sport down there on partial scholly (and Daddy will tell you that is THE only reason he got in) and is struggling academically even though he's working his ass off. I frankly don't know how they keep their grad rates up so high - Furd is known for not killing off their students with attrition - hence the "Stanford B" - but the reality is also that there are recruits who get in there with a high school GPA of 3.5 and find themselves completely out of their league academically.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

people who don't have school-aged kids don't fully appreciate just how hard that school is to get into. Basically, if you didn't get in under the alternative admissions process for jocks, you're a fucking genius or a minority.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

people who don't have school-aged kids don't fully appreciate just how hard that school is to get into. Basically, if you didn't get in under the alternative admissions process for jocks, you're a fucking genius.

it's Harvard, Princeton or Yale, take your pick, on the west coast. it is rather surprising that they even want to be in division 1a in anything other than crew and women's soccer or field hockey.

Berkeley, USC and UCLA are very hard to get into as well, but Stanford is on another level entirely. They are the full equivalent of an upper-tier Ivy League school. Equal to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia, better than Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, and Penn. Stanford's admission rate is around 5% - UW's, by way of comparison, is around 60%.

Think about that when these questions occur to you. Those schools are a world apart from where you and I were educated. You take a math class at Stanford, and there is literally nobody in there who didn't score in the upper 90th percentile on the math section of the SATs. A co-worker's son, educated at private eastside schools, plays a sport down there on partial scholly (and Daddy will tell you that is THE only reason he got in) and is struggling academically even though he's working his ass off. I frankly don't know how they keep their grad rates up so high - Furd is known for not killing off their students with attrition - hence the "Stanford B" - but the reality is also that there are recruits who get in there with a high school GPA of 3.5 and find themselves completely out of their league academically.
    ^^ Stanford Admissions Superiority Guy
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    He's also wrong. By far the most difficult aspect is getting actual admission into the university. If you're not an athlete, you will need a minimum 4.0 GPA, 98 percentile SAT, charity work, many of the kids started their own business, school club involvement, etc. Once you're admitted though, there is massive, massive grade inflation and everyone can sort of coast through. I am a Bay Area hipster (lol!) and work with many SU grads. It's the equivalent of Harvard, except there's some modicum of sports and the weather is always nice.

None of the SU grads I know care about football. Why the fuck couldn't we have hired Harbaugh. The fanbase is nonexistent/undeserving.
    edited September 2013
    Gladstone said:

He's also wrong. By far the most difficult aspect is getting actual admission into the university. If you're not an athlete, you will need a minimum 4.0 GPA, 98 percentile SAT, charity work, many of the kids started their own business, school club involvement, etc. Once you're admitted though, there is massive, massive grade inflation and everyone can sort of coast through. I am a Bay Area hipster (lol!) and work with many SU grads. It's the equivalent of Harvard, except there's some modicum of sports and the weather is always nice.

None of the SU grads I know care about football. Why the fuck couldn't we have hired Harbaugh. The fanbase is nonexistent/undeserving.

what can I say? I don't go to school there, and I gave you my only first degree connection with someone who's been there recently (as in now).

Stanford earned the grade inflation rep. years ago - I know a lot of people who went there who are around my age - long, long time ago. And their version tracks with yours. That is, a very hard place to leave with a 3.7 or better GPA, but a very easy place to leave with a 3.0 GPA.

But it's possible that things have changed. It's become more competitive than ever .. that much I do know.

I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in the middle. It's probably doable, though not easy, for a jock to work his/her way through the school. However, based on what I'm told, the "skating through" thing is probably a stretch. Sure, a really really smart kid can pick a major that's not as rigorous as others and have a relatively easy time of it. But I'm talking about the kid who made the athletic recruit cut who would not have otherwise ever, ever been near the Stanford zip code. THAT kid, I think, has his work cut out for him, though I'm sure there is a lot of support there too. God knows that place has resources.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    I like UW in this one.

I like UW in this one.

kris, is that you??
  • Here's my Stanford admissions anecdote:

I knew a Pigott who applied to Stanford a couple years ago. If you're unfamiliar, the Pigott's founded PACCAR, and have been sending kids to Stanford since the 1950's. There are buildings and scholarships in the Pigott name down there. The person who applied had a 3.8 GPA at Lakeside and 2200+ SAT's, the only problem being they were white. They didn't get in.

Glad someone in their place will get to be the first from their family to go to college and flunk out midway through their first year!

Liberals everyone.

Here's my Stanford admissions anecdote:

I knew a Pigott who applied to Stanford a couple years ago. If you're unfamiliar, the Pigott's founded PACCAR, and have been sending kids to Stanford since the 1950's. There are buildings and scholarships in the Pigott name down there. The person who applied had a 3.8 GPA at Lakeside and 2200+ SAT's, the only problem being they were white. They didn't get in.

Glad someone in their place will get to be the first from their family to go to college and flunk out midway through their first year!

Liberals everyone.

yep, well aware of who they are. and that story is not as uncommon as it once might have been. Lots of stories like that floating around now - members of the Coors family not getting into Duke, members of the Firestone family being rejected at Princeton, etc. Now that those schools have endowements in the billions, I guess they're not the whores they used to be for $$, though I'm sure it still talks on the margin.

However, I have to say that a Piggot with a Lakeside 3.8 and 2200+ is a little less believable. I'm guessing that the person who relayed this story to you has bumped up baby Piggott's numbers just a bit. Lakeside sends kids to Stanford in droves - it's part of what makes Lakeside such a powerful prep school.

• Here's my Stanford admissions anecdote:

Liberals everyone.

yep, well aware of who they are. and that story is not as uncommon as it once might have been. Lots of stories like that floating around now - members of the Coors family not getting into Duke, members of the Firestone family being rejected at Princeton, etc. Now that those schools have endowements in the billions, I guess they're not the whores they used to be for $$, though I'm sure it still talks on the margin.

However, I have to say that a Piggot with a Lakeside 3.8 and 2200+ is a little less believable. I'm guessing that the person who relayed this story to you has bumped up baby Piggott's numbers just a bit. Lakeside sends kids to Stanford in droves - it's part of what makes Lakeside such a powerful prep school.

Said Pigott ended up going to Northwestern. Didn't hear it through the grapevine but straight from the source. In that Lakeside class only 2 ended up going to Stanford and about 8-10 got in, but chose Ivies. Overall it was a pretty poor showing and had Lakeside administrators worried. Now they're taking 60% non-whites whereas before it was only 45%.

Again, liberals everyone.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    Robert Kennedy Jr's daughter got into Stanford. I'm pretty sure she's a genius and notoriety had nothing to do with it.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    Little Fred Savage (Wonder Years) was in my buddy's frat down there back in the day. His bong rips were beastly - notorious to this day.
    edited September 2013

Here's my Stanford admissions anecdote:

Liberals everyone.

Said Pigott ended up going to Northwestern. Didn't hear it through the grapevine but straight from the source. In that Lakeside class only 2 ended up going to Stanford and about 8-10 got in, but chose Ivies. Overall it was a pretty poor showing and had Lakeside administrators worried. Now they're taking 60% non-whites whereas before it was only 45%.

Again, liberals everyone.
    wow. though have to say that 8 to 10 admits, given Lakeside's relatively small class size, is not a bad realization rate for one of the top, if not THE top, target for kids at that school. Mercer Island had a bunch admitted too.

one thing I hear that has not changed is the power of legacy - my bud's kid graduated from there this year and is at Berkeley - applied to, and rejected at, Furd. Said all but 2 kids at MI who got in, which was about 5 or 6 total, were legacy.

so I guess not everything has changed. then again, what are the chances of two Stanford people screwing and winding up with an average kid academically?

btw, Northwestern is a soft landing, though it's kind of an extreme reaction weather-wise. I think I'd have looked elsewhere, though NW is a damn good school.