Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sark during game week

2»

Comments

• DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    DJ (I like to call Don James DJ just to mix it up) is one example of how coaches can manage their time. How do other successful coaches do it? Somewhat off topic, but can someone tell me why Bill Moose has his own radio show? Is that normal for college athletics?
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    If this is true, these meeting say a great deal. This is a clear reflection of priorities.

None of us really know, but this sure appears to be a case of Shark putting Woodward's priorities front and center, above or on equal footing with game preperation. The question is, what are Woodward's priotities that require this much time during game week?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Maybe Woodward found an opportunity to replace Illinois with Eastern Oregon next year and wanted Sark's opinion on it.
  • I think back to what Woodward said in 2010, that he and Sark spend 1.5 hours talking everyday. And today we hear that they met this week to discuss future schedules -- when Sark should be 100% focused on Arizona.

You never heard about Mike Lude standing around shooting the bull with Don James for 1.5 hours a day during the season. In fact, one booster I know who was extremely prominent back then once told me a story that he was in Coach James's office during the season in the 1980s. He said people were in and out and Coach James was multi-tasking like a mutha f'er. Mike Lude needed to talk to him and James said to come back at X time and that he had 5 minutes. Lude arrived right on time, and exactly five minutes later, their issue got resolved and Lude was out of there.

Gotta agree with puppysteel (did I just type that??). This is pretty nitpicky.

As you point out, coaches multitask. They are CEOs. The meeting about schedules could have been 5 minutes.

I honestly don't think the issue with Sark is dedication or scheduling.

He Needs More Tim already pointed out, it's the attention to details that we're bitching about. Sark does not appear to be the kinda coach that's focused on every single detail to the point of micro-managing things.

There's a saying I remember from my days in the Army "tactics (playcalling) are for amateurs. Logistics (being the headcoach) are for the professionals."

Sark loves his tactics.
    Fine. But "attention to detail" is not implicated one way or the other by Sark meeting to discuss scheduling during game weeks.

That was my point.
    I disagree. He is wasting a good 90 minutes during a big game shooting the shit with some dumb fuck Pool Boy.

This team leads the nation in penalties, they have been more and more undisciplined each year under Sark. He doesn't stress the details or seem to care about the details at all.