Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Carlos Johnson (2016 SG) commits

NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

He's not that good. But given the open scholarships and the lack of depth at guard going into next season, it's a positive.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    He's the Jordan Chin of basketball recruiting: the absolute last guy on their list who ended up getting an offer at the last minute because no one else wanted to come to UW.

Just a reminder: We have to keep Romar because the Seattle basketball hoops scene is blowing up and the local kids love Romar
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,449
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He's the Jordan Chin of basketball recruiting: the absolute last guy on their list who ended up getting an offer at the last minute because no one else wanted to come to UW.

Just a reminder: We have to keep Romar because the Seattle basketball hoops scene is blowing up and the local kids love Romar

So he's chincredible?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Romar sucks. He needs to be fired. But one mediocre recruit doesn't change the fact he's doing very well in recruiting. If you make the pro firing argument about recruiting, you're going to loose. He has a top 20 class coming in in 2016, with 2017 and 2018 both looking very good as well.

The problem isn't recruiting. The problem is the results don't match the recruiting. Keep the argument focused where it needs to be.
    fuck off @dnc

You need more than 3 first round picks in a starting five to win a national championship make the tournament
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,576
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Roy made three tourneys and IT made three tourneys. Without an NBA all star on the roster Romar and this team are fucked. WWJC do? Make sure this team is fucked as long as Romar feels like collecting a paycheck. Thanks beeeyatch!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Roy made three tourneys and IT made three tourneys. Without an NBA all star on the roster Romar and this team are fucked. WWJC do? Make sure this team is fucked as long as Romar feels like collecting a paycheck. Thanks beeeyatch!

Somewhat lazy analysis. The #1 seed makes the tourney without Roy and IT's frosh team make it without him. The other four years, agree.

Irregardless, Jenn hearts Romar's 5 inches of slippery black thunder, so it's a mute poont.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2016
    dnc said:

Somewhat lazy analysis. The #1 seed makes the tourney without Roy and IT's frosh team make it without him. The other four years, agree.

Irregardless, Jenn hearts Romar's 5 inches of slippery black thunder, so it's a mute poont.
    Brockman also had a little something to do with the successful stretch. It wasn't just the guys that went on to be All-Stars in the NBA.
  • Options

dnc said:

Brockman also had a little something to do with the successful stretch. It wasn't just the guys that went on to be All-Stars in the NBA.
    Ditto Bobby Jones and Will Conroy
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Disagree that the IT frosh team makes the tourney without him. He was our only for sure scoring threat as Brockman was a 6'6" power forward who had his shot blocked as much as it went in and Pondexter still had not come into his own. The #1 seed team I will concede.
  • Options

dnc said:

Disagree that the IT frosh team makes the tourney without him. He was our only for sure scoring threat as Brockman was a 6'6" power forward who had his shot blocked as much as it went in and Pondexter still had not come into his own. The #1 seed team I will concede.
    Dentmon scored basically as much as IT did with much better percentages. No IT means Dentmon's percentages go down but his scoring goes up. Defense would have definitely been better too because no IT would have meant more Pimperton. I think it would have been enough to make the tourney along with Pondexter finally emerging the last two months of the year. Definitely could be wrong on that one though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    q2
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Dentmon scored basically as much as IT did with much better percentages. No IT means Dentmon's percentages go down but his scoring goes up. Defense would have definitely been better too because no IT would have meant more Pimperton. I think it would have been enough to make the tourney along with Pondexter finally emerging the last two months of the year. Definitely could be wrong on that one though.
    Well said. Lots of variables in that argument. The PAC wasn't absolute dreck that year. Six 20 win teams. Maybe that happens, maybe not. Dentmon was nails to start the year and Pondexter found something near the end so they could have limped in that year, me thinks not. 26-9 with Thomas in 2009, 16-17 without him in 2008 with almost the same roster. Me thinks the scoring became easier with a bonafide future NBA all star slashing to the cup at will. Don't you?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2016
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I might be giving IT too much credit, but Dentmon was shit before Isaiah. Isaiah was a program changer from day one especially from a mindset perspective. He had some struggles, but they were shitty the two seasons before he got there.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    That 2008-2009 was the exact same lineup as the sub-500 2007-2008 one, with the addition of IT. His impact cannot be understate.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

I might be giving IT too much credit, but Dentmon was shit before Isaiah. Isaiah was a program changer from day one especially from a mindset perspective. He had some struggles, but they were shitty the two seasons before he got there.
    Dentmon was a lot slimmer his senior year than the two years before, and his shooting was astronomically better. IT was not a good passer as a frosh (he became one by his junior year) and he wasn't the type of much hyped 5 star/burger boy frosh that defenses plan around coming in. Sometimes players just get better, see Andrews this year, or Pondexter's senior season. There's no reason to credit a frosh who was a bad passer and took bad shots for Dentmon's senior development.

IT was a badass before he left UW. He wasn't a game changer as a freshman.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Gladstone said:

That 2008-2009 was the exact same lineup as the sub-500 2007-2008 one, with the addition of IT. His impact cannot be understate.

And the subtraction of Appleby - probably my least favorite Husky hoopster ever. I hate him worse than Jensen (fuck white people!)

Both helped the team significantly. They don't win the conference (which was very good at that point as @theknowledge poonted out) or a good seed without IT, no question. I still think they would have made the NCAAs.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ***************************Warning: PLSS Triple Poast***************************

I think Brockman was the one irreplaceable player on that team. They had nothing else inside. I think they could have still made the tourney if they lost one of IT, Dentmon or QP, but not without the good guy down low breaking noses.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2016
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Dentmon was a lot slimmer his senior year than the two years before, and his shooting was astronomically better. IT was not a good passer as a frosh (he became one by his junior year) and he wasn't the type of much hyped 5 star/burger boy frosh that defenses plan around coming in. Sometimes players just get better, see Andrews this year, or Pondexter's senior season. There's no reason to credit a frosh who was a bad passer and took bad shots for Dentmon's senior development.

Calling IT a bad passer who took bad shots as a freshman is some serious pressing. He was a first team all league player. Lots of good college guards have low FG%'s. Guys like Westbrook in the NBA have never shot great either. You are missing the big picture. IT was 2nd in the Pac 10 in FT attempts his freshman year behind James Harden.

I agree Dentmon got better. That can't be disputed, but maybe, just maybe the game got a little easier having a guard who could get ito the key and make plays. That team would have been a lot worse without IT. IT and to a lesser extent, Venoy (I know he came in the year before) changed the program. Before them, they were nice kids. Isaiah brought a fuck you attitude that was a program changer.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Calling IT a bad passer who took bad shots as a freshman is some serious pressing.
    He was a first team all league player. Lots of good college guards have low FG%'s. Guys like Westbrook in the NBA have never shot great either. You are missing the big picture. IT was 2nd in the Pac 10 in FT attempts his freshman year behind James Harden.

I agree Dentmon got better. That can't be disputed, but maybe, just maybe the game got a little easier having a guard who could get ito the key and make plays. That team would have been a lot worse without IT. IT and to a lesser extent, Venoy (I know he came in the year before) changed the program. Before them, they were nice kids. Isaiah brought a fuck you attitude that was a program changer.
    No it's not. He was absolutely a bad passer. He had a negative assist to turnover ratio. And he was either a bad shooter or he took bad shots.

Westbrook made 45% of his shots this year. That's a big jump from the 41% that IT made as a frosh. When Westbrook was making 41% of his shots he was a bad shooter.

I agree IT's attitude (along with Venoy) was a big benefit. I agree IT made the team better. I don't think he made Dentmon better though, not significantly.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Calling IT a bad passer who took bad shots as a freshman is some serious pressing.
    He was a first team all league player. Lots of good college guards have low FG%'s. Guys like Westbrook in the NBA have never shot great either. You are missing the big picture. IT was 2nd in the Pac 10 in FT attempts his freshman year behind James Harden.

No it's not. He was absolutely a bad passer. He had a negative assist to turnover ratio. And he was either a bad shooter or he took bad shots.

Westbrook made 45% of his shots this year. That's a big jump from the 41% that IT made as a frosh. When Westbrook was making 41% of his shots he was a bad shooter.

I agree IT's attitude (along with Venoy) was a big benefit. I agree IT made the team better. I don't think he made Dentmon better though, not significantly.
    He made everyone better. You're hanging onto your opinion from back than. You weren't as bad as AntiDuckDawg, but you weren't a huge IT fan. He wasn't a true PG yet. That team always had 2 PG's on the floor. He got to the line at will. Collapsing defenses lead to more open shots.

Dentmon got better, especially as a shooter, but it's foolish to pretend like IT didn't play a big part.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

He made everyone better. You're hanging onto your opinion from back than. You weren't as bad as AntiDuckDawg, but you weren't a huge IT fan. He wasn't a true PG yet. That team always had 2 PG's on the floor. He got to the line at will. Collapsing defenses lead to more open shots.

Dentmon got better, especially as a shooter, but it's foolish to pretend like IT didn't play a big part.
    You're right, I wasn't a huge IT fan as a frosh. Because he wasn't very good as a frosh. He improved by a ton in his time at UW (and obviously since then).