Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your Union has been lying to you your entire career

Comments

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Looks like I'm right, as always. The Libertarian mob gonna embarrass themselves like usual.

Free markets. Free minds.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

I put my money in a sock and keep it hidden in my kitchen behind the toaster. I have 43 dollars in there.

#onmyway

That's the magical amount. Money for bus fair and an eighth.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

I put my money in a sock and keep it hidden in my kitchen behind the toaster. I have 43 dollars in there.

#onmyway

Everybody knows you keep your 'real' money locked away in the cashiers cage
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You know DIP is butthurt when he posts 3 times in a row in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

PurpleJ said:

SS is only in turmoil because Congress hasn't done what they need to do to solidify it. It's the single best program that this country has ever implemented. Fix it.

I'm hearing you can set aside some of your paycheck each week in an interest-bearing account. It's called savings. Cut out the middle man that spent all the money and you'd be fine. Perpetuities are going away because people live way longer nowadays and you have no way to measure what it's going to cost in the future. People should be responsible for their own savings. Period.
    First, let me introduce you to negative or near negative rates. Second, when the average American is spending like 110% of their income and carrying $15k credit card statements, thinking that people are able to save for retirement on their own is d2d fucking stupid.

Get mugged by reality and then get back to me.
    As I was just saying, Doogs hate personal responsibility.
    Get your nose out of Hayek's taint and join the real world.
    Free pub!!1¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Looks like I'm right, as always. The Libertarian mob gonna embarrass themselves like usual.

I again wonder, when did progressives fully embrace state paternalism?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

SS is only in turmoil because Congress hasn't done what they need to do to solidify it. It's the single best program that this country has ever implemented. Fix it.

Sark > Ty poast of the century
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

PurpleJ said:

I'm hearing you can set aside some of your paycheck each week in an interest-bearing account. It's called savings. Cut out the middle man that spent all the money and you'd be fine. Perpetuities are going away because people live way longer nowadays and you have no way to measure what it's going to cost in the future. People should be responsible for their own savings. Period.
    First, let me introduce you to negative or near negative rates. Second, when the average American is spending like 110% of their income and carrying $15k credit card statements, thinking that people are able to save for retirement on their own is d2d fucking stupid.

If you spend 110% of your income and carry $15k credit card statements, you don't deserve a retirement.

At the very least people who have their chit together should be able to opt out of social security and better invest their retirement.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Better invest your retirement... Until the FED removes the punchbowel

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

PurpleJ said:

It's a valid point, but you have to consider the alternative. Think we have a homeless problem now? Take away social security payments and you're talking about millions of senior citizens who are now homeless, draining society of its resources at every corner. We'll essentially have old folk slums in every major city, which actually sounds somewhat funny while it's still a total hypothetical. Maybe you're okay with that, but personally I don't want to live in a country where I have to navigate swarms of elderly bums every time I leave my house. I suppose it's moot though, because if we continue on the current path, SS will be insolvent anyways and this scenario won't be an alternative.
  • Options
    The under 35 crowd is quite happy with scrapping Boomer Benefits
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

PurpleJ said:

It's a valid point, but you have to consider the alternative. Think we have a homeless problem now? Take away social security payments and you're talking about millions of senior citizens who are now homeless, draining society of its resources at every corner. We'll essentially have old folk slums in every major city, which actually sounds somewhat funny while it's still a total hypothetical. Maybe you're okay with that, but personally I don't want to live in a country where I have to navigate swarms of elderly bums every time I leave my house. I suppose it's moot though, because if we continue on the current path, SS will be insolvent anyways and this scenario won't be an alternative.
    Hmm I don't know, I might be able to gain 1% more on my SS.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The under 35 crowd is quite happy with scrapping Boomer Benefits

And death panels. Don't forget those.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

You know DIP is butthurt when he posts 3 times in a row in the middle of the night.

We call that roaddawgin it
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,890
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

T bills rock solid as usual, hedgies up and down like a fucking hurricane. Gee, I wonder why people might not want the "free market" in charge of their livelihood.

Dow went from over 14,000 to under 7,000 in less than a year, but people have amnesia and act like it can't happen again...
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

I'm hearing sec14a stupid has been replaced with a new comparison..
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    Swaye's Wigwam

T bills rock solid as usual, hedgies up and down like a fucking hurricane. Gee, I wonder why people might not want the "free market" in charge of their livelihood.

Dow went from over 14,000 to under 7,000 in less than a year, but people have amnesia and act like it can't happen again...
    And now its at 17000

That's how REAL investments work.