Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your Union has been lying to you your entire career

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Reading past the headline:

That imbalance left the fund paying out $3.46 in pension benefits for every $1 it received from employers. The shortfall has resulted in the fund paying out $2 billion more in benefits than it receives in employer contributions each year.

That's meaningless as pensions should be funded as the employees were working, like in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

Obviously the formulas that these funds use to dictate what should be collected and what should be paid out to retirees is out of whack. If they are gonna reduce pension payouts, they should look at increasing the pay-ins from the companies that fund them as well.

But why is Social Security in turmoil?
    Agreed.

Unless your talking about raising MY SS taxes anyway.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    2001400ex said:

That imbalance left the fund paying out $3.46 in pension benefits for every $1 it received from employers. The shortfall has resulted in the fund paying out $2 billion more in benefits than it receives in employer contributions each year.

That's meaningless as pensions should be funded as the employees were working, like in the 70s and 80s.
    The problem with that is pensions typically promise unsustainable returns that cannot be consistently achieved.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

The problem with that is pensions typically promise unsustainable returns that cannot be consistently achieved management doesn't properly fund pensions and instead relies on growth of the company for sustainability while using pension funds for other shit.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The problem with that is pensions typically promise unsustainable returns that cannot be consistently achieved the Government doesn't properly fund pensions and instead relies on growth of the economy for sustainability while using pension funds for other shit.

but why is Social Security in turmoil?
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

The problem with that is pensions typically promise unsustainable returns that cannot be consistently achieved management doesn't properly fund pensions and instead relies on growth of the company for sustainability while using pension funds for other shit.
    Compounded interest matters.
  • Options

The problem with that is pensions typically promise unsustainable returns that cannot be consistently achieved the Government doesn't properly fund pensions and instead relies on growth of the economy for sustainability while using pension funds for other shit.

but why is Social Security in turmoil?

For the exact same reason. And the fact politicians refuse to do anything about it.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    SS is only in turmoil because Congress hasn't done what they need to do to solidify it. It's the single best program that this country has ever implemented. Fix it.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

SS is only in turmoil because Congress hasn't done what they need to do to solidify it. It's the single best program that this country has ever implemented. Fix it.

I'm hearing you can set aside some of your paycheck each week in an interest-bearing account. It's called savings. Cut out the middle man that spent all the money and you'd be fine. Perpetuities are going away because people live way longer nowadays and you have no way to measure what it's going to cost in the future. People should be responsible for their own savings. Period.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The genius of social security, Medicaid, medicare, pensions, etc is now their curse. They are in effect a Ponzi scheme. In the beginning many pay in, and there's money for everyone. At the end, there are more taking out than people to put in.

When s.s. was started there was 10 paying in for every 1 receiving money, and you collected at 62 when the avg. life expectancy was essentially that age. Today it is 2 paying for every one collecting and the avg. person lives to mid 80's.

• Options
    PurpleJ said:

I'm hearing you can set aside some of your paycheck each week in an interest-bearing account. It's called savings. Cut out the middle man that spent all the money and you'd be fine. Perpetuities are going away because people live way longer nowadays and you have no way to measure what it's going to cost in the future. People should be responsible for their own savings. Period.
    Doogs hate personal responsibility
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

First, let me introduce you to negative or near negative rates. Second, when the average American is spending like 110% of their income and carrying $15k credit card statements, thinking that people are able to save for retirement on their own is d2d fucking stupid.

Get mugged by reality and then get back to me.
  • Options

PurpleJ said:

First, let me introduce you to negative or near negative rates. Second, when the average American is spending like 110% of their income and carrying $15k credit card statements, thinking that people are able to save for retirement on their own is d2d fucking stupid.

As I was just saying, Doogs hate personal responsibility.
  • Options

PurpleJ said:

As I was just saying, Doogs hate personal responsibility.
    Get your nose out of Hayek's taint and join the real world.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So we'll tax their savings out of them for their own good! Not only are there serious problems with forecasting the amount you need to pay out years down the line, there's always the chance that an individual can do much better investing their own savings. It's another example of our government thinking they know best and robbing individuals of the right to their own earnings. I'm not responsible for the poor savings habits of my fellow Americans.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

So we'll tax their savings out of them for their own good! Not only are there serious problems with forecasting the amount you need to pay out years down the line, there's always the chance that an individual can do much better investing their own savings. It's another example of our government thinking they know best and robbing individuals of the right to their own earnings. I'm not responsible for the poor savings habits of my fellow Americans.

The good news is that the government is excellent at saving money.

Oh.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Trustworthy as well. I can rest assured tonight.
  • Options
    Looks like I'm right, as always. The Libertarian mob gonna embarrass themselves like usual.
  • Options
    If it's only ttownpurpfs and sven that have a problem with my supposition then I'm probably doing alright.
  • Options
    T bills rock solid as usual, hedgies up and down like a fucking hurricane. Gee, I wonder why people might not want the "free market" in charge of their livelihood.