Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A Hat on the Table: The Jaelan Phillips Story

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Mario gets after it in recruiting, but not sure they take one given their current depth
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Mario gets after it in recruiting, but not sure they take one given their current depth

Because they want good players. It's not that hard.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2018

His program is built on flashes in recruiting, getting a former #1 and this years number #1 is the exact type of thing he’d do
  • Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm hearing he's an Illinois lock.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Add Phillips to Tryon and Ngata and 2020 will be a natty year.

Too bad he’ll never come here.

Even if he was interested in UW, would he be allowed to transfer without red shirting?
    I thought CFB got rid of the rule where you have to get permission to transfer?
    They did. You just go into a database. But he'd still have to sit out a year unless it was due to hardship.

So for WAC, the answer is no, he could transfer where he wanted but he'd still have to redshirt.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Add Phillips to Tryon and Ngata and 2020 will be a natty year.

Too bad he’ll never come here.

Even if he was interested in UW, would he be allowed to transfer without red shirting?
    I thought CFB got rid of the rule where you have to get permission to transfer?
    They did. You just go into a database. But he'd still have to sit out a year unless it was due to hardship.

So for WAC, the answer is no, he could transfer where he wanted but he'd still have to redshirt.
    Tyfys
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947

NEsnake12 said:

Domicillo said:

Just left UCLA. I wonder if we are going to go after him at all.

Other than Eason, what other kids that turned us down did we pursue when they became transfers. I’d be shocked.
    We didn't go after DJ Johnson and instead gave the open scholarships to senior walk-ons. FML
    DJ gets to play in the Duck's bowl game btw. Would be nice watching him play in the Rose Bowl.
    When he was at Miami, there were a lot of people pumped about him. Miami's D was pretty crowded though. Now, it might not be.

I didn't know what else was going on there. He may have been homesick. The west coast kids tend to underestimate how different things are in the east, and while Miami tends to conjure up images of palm trees and beaches and shit, it is also a very, very eastern city. It is full of transplants from the NE and has been for eons, so Miami runs a little, or a lot, NY'ish, and I've noticed over the years that people from the west don't always like it.

DJ Williams was very homesick and almost transferred to Cal. He fought through it and was part of some pretty good teams and won a natty. That doesn't really happen at Cal. Sorry @BearsWiin .
    DJ was deterred from going to Cal by his older half-brother Atari Callen. When he was considering staying home and playing for Cal, Callen, who was on the team at Cal, told him to go where he could play for championships. I don't for a minute believe that he considered transferring to Cal.
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

NEsnake12 said:

Domicillo said:

Other than Eason, what other kids that turned us down did we pursue when they became transfers. I’d be shocked.
    We didn't go after DJ Johnson and instead gave the open scholarships to senior walk-ons. FML
    DJ gets to play in the Duck's bowl game btw. Would be nice watching him play in the Rose Bowl.
    Really?

Is Skinny available?
    Nah, it’s a year of residence. So players who transferred for the start of winter quarter/semester would be eligible at the conclusion of their fall quarter/semester. Eason didn’t enroll until spring quarter.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    BearsWiin said:

NEsnake12 said:

Domicillo said:

When he was at Miami, there were a lot of people pumped about him. Miami's D was pretty crowded though. Now, it might not be.

I didn't know what else was going on there. He may have been homesick. The west coast kids tend to underestimate how different things are in the east, and while Miami tends to conjure up images of palm trees and beaches and shit, it is also a very, very eastern city. It is full of transplants from the NE and has been for eons, so Miami runs a little, or a lot, NY'ish, and I've noticed over the years that people from the west don't always like it.

DJ Williams was very homesick and almost transferred to Cal. He fought through it and was part of some pretty good teams and won a natty. That doesn't really happen at Cal. Sorry @BearsWiin .
    DJ was deterred from going to Cal by his older half-brother Atari Callen. When he was considering staying home and playing for Cal, Callen, who was on the team at Cal, told him to go where he could play for championships. I don't for a minute believe that he considered transferring to Cal.
    Believe it or not. He was very homesick when he got to Miami, it was well publicized, and at one point actually left, and that was when the Cal talk started. I don't think it was an act.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Domicillo said:

His program is built on flashes in recruiting, getting a former #1 and this years number #1 is the exact type of thing he’d do
    His program? Great sample size.
  • Options

Domicillo said:

His program? Great sample size.
    Fine, his program's identity ya fuck
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947

BearsWiin said:

NEsnake12 said:

Domicillo said:

Believe it or not. He was very homesick when he got to Miami, it was well publicized, and at one point actually left, and that was when the Cal talk started. I don't think it was an act.
    There was no fucking way he would consider leaving Miami to play for fucking Tom Holmoe and 3-8 Cal. The Cal talk, if there was any, wasn't from him but from people speculating because he was a DLS kid and Cal is right there and his brother Atari played for Cal. But, as I said, his brother told him to go somewhere else if he wanted to win. Repeat: His own fucking Cal player brother told him not to come to Cal. This was all well documented in Cal circles at the time, including the original Cyberbears. And we were all pretty pissed at Atari for telling DJ that, even if we understood that he was right.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited December 2018
    El O fucking El. A 5-star bust two years after he signed. Don't forget he was the #1 Buck recruit on our board and Joe Tryon was a late offer 3-star we stole from WSU after whiffing on Phillips and three other guys. Thanks for making my point Jaelan. Yes, of coarse we all want to get the majority of our top targets at every position and that's exactly what we're getting right now. But if we happen to whiff on some guys and have to offer some 3-star kid late in the process maybe you should wait to see how it turns out before you start bitching. This is a new era of UW recruiting. A late offer, 3-star guy might turn out to be a better pick up than the 4 and 5-star guys offered before him.
  • Options
    ZoneUWZoneUW Member Posts: 794
    5 Fuck Offs First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Domicillo said:

Did you guys know Joe Williams retired once!?
    VERY different situation though, Williams lost a family member
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Gladstone said:

;)

you're still UCLA lol
    And your still UW. Sooooo...
    Just cuz