Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Romar already working on 2019 job security

bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
The number 3 player in the nation several years down the road, Michael Porter jr., is strongly considering UW. Romar may even hire his dad, an assistant women's coach, and already has a commitment from the kid's brother.

If you fire him after missing the tournament 7 years in a row, then you kiss this kid good bye.

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    2020 will be special
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bananas is as addicted to dogman as Puppy.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

roadie's r, yk.

Not gonna lie though, I like having somebody spoonfeed their latest doogasms since I haven't been there in ages.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Banana's does it more as a public service, whereas puppy just can't get away from the DOOGMAN teet.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Interesting that you're obviously well-versed in the current dawgman discussions to be making this comment.
    I'm not at all, but okay.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Interesting that you're obviously well-versed in the current dawgman discussions to be making this comment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3g-Ji3TXU
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You can't fire him now. He's right on the brink of another one-and-done NIT hellscape.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Bananas is the new Dickus Duckus.

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Won't mean shit unless any of Crisp/Dickerson/Thybulle/Green/Dorsey can actually develop and be solid upperclassmen starters.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    NEsnake12 said:

Won't mean shit unless any of Crisp/Dickerson/Thybulle/Green/Dorsey can actually develop and be solid upperclassmen starters.

LOL... with Romar still the coach?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I was reading a mock draft today and was shocked that I wasn't shocked to read that both Chriss and Murray have some bust potential to them at the NBA level.

Can't imagine why anybody would say that.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Alonzo Trier coming back to Arizona for another season.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

NEsnake12 said:

Exactly the issue. That's why it's an IF. Shouldn't be an if with any good coach.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Houhusky said:

NEsnake12 said:

Meh, I don't really agree with this other than Dickerson since he's a big. Andrews developed significantly in his four years under Romar, and he's just the latest in a long line who developed if they were here long enough. Development of guards and wings isn't the program's issue. Keeping kids longer than two years, x's and o's, never having a non conference resume worth a shit, those are the issues. Player development for non bigs is probably the one real strength I'd say the program has outside of occasionally recruiting.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Houhusky said:

NEsnake12 said:

Meh, I don't really agree with this other than Dickerson since he's a big. Andrews developed significantly in his four years under Romar, and he's just the latest in a long line who developed if they were here long enough. Development of guards and wings isn't the program's issue. Keeping kids longer than two years, x's and o's, never having a non conference resume worth a shit, those are the issues. Player development for non bigs is probably the one real strength I'd say the program has outside of occasionally recruiting.
    Romar has shown an ability to get players to be good if they stay for 4 years ... I do think it is worth talking about how much of that is on the players getting better on their own versus coaching. Even with Andrews last year, the difference between him compared to this year was night and day. If it was coaching, then I would say that you probably have to give some of that credit to Will Conroy. I think a lot of that also has to do with him being a 5th year adult playing in a conference that specializes in playing a lot of 18 or 19 year old boys.

No question that X's and O's are a huge issue. Same with giving kids a compelling reason to stay with the program ... which in my mind really goes against the idea that they'll improve if they stay (compare to some of the more notable programs). The non-conference schedule has been an issue for a while ... I'm sure some of it is tied to the AD needing to drive revenues in the program but also I think that there's a certain part of not exposing the program to a number of terrible losses early in the year. When they have gone aggressive in non-conference scheduling they've gotten burned by it. You could argue if they went with their usual sub-par scheduling this year they may have been in a better position to get into the tournament. The development of bigs is obviously an issue as well ... falls right in with the player development as a whole.

In the end, the big question with Romar at this point is what's the direction going forward. In her now semi-infamous interview with Softy, Cohen said that it's clear that Romar's got that fire in his belly to get back to the top. I think that's very debatable. You have 2 kids leaving his program as true frosh this year that you can't get too far into their scouting reports for the draft before reading that they have some significant bust potential. Hard to not believe that Fultz won't be doing the same next year barring something unforeseen. And at that point, you continue this trend in the program that anybody worth a damn just goes pro as soon as possible. That's not a trend that will ever leave to a successful program.

So really, when you look at it, the infrastructure that supports Romar's program is gone. He may still have the vision in place of how to be successful and get teams back to the top of the conference. But he's lost the ability to get people to believe it. And just as importantly, he has almost certainly lost the ability to execute that vision. At that point, it's not personal, it's business. And the right business decision is to move on from Romar and find the right coach that can institute the agent of change needed in the program.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I was reading a mock draft today and was shocked that I wasn't shocked to read that both Chriss and Murray have some bust potential to them at the NBA level.

Can't imagine why anybody would say that.

What a great pundit you are. Next you'll be telling the board that Okafor will be better than Towns. Every player in the draft except for Simmons and 2-3 others also have bust potential.

The NBA is the most veteran laden professional sports league around. The MLB and NFL have rookies and young players with huge roles on good teams. That rarely happens in the NBA. Towns is the only rookie that could start on a playoff team in the NBA.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Holy fuck @Tequilla, you give Will Conroy the credit for Andrew's improvement?
  • Options

Holy fuck @Tequilla, you give Will Conroy the credit for Andrew's improvement?

You probably should go back and read what I said fucktard ... I said you probably have to give SOME of the credit to Will