Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ten Years Ago Tomorrow Mike Jensen Cemented His Place In Our Hearts Forever

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited March 2016 in Payton's Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueq6iE1b4u4&t=93m43s

(Edit: Fuck, it's not going to the spot it's supposed to, advance to 1 hour, 33 minutes and 43 seconds to see history)

I'll never forget that night for a number of reasons. Romar gonna Romar. ONIONS! Spotty at best officiating. alluconnallhuskies getting banninated because of Jensen's grandparents. WhiskeyDawg giving me my first delicious taste of Citrus.

I can't believe it's been a decade. Fuck I'm getting old.

But given that it's been ten years, I think it's fair to evaluate the state of the UW program since that game. Here's what we? have accomplished in that time frame:

Made the NCAA tournament 3 times (30%)
Won four tournament games (one every two and a half years)
Made the Sweet 16 once (10% of the time)
Made the NIT three times
Won four NIT games
Made the CBI once
Had no postseason 3 times
FInished in the following spots in the Pac: 7th, 8th, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, t-6th, t-9th, 11th, 8th. For an average conference finish of 5.8 (5 of those years the Pac had 10 teams and five the Pac had 12, so an average finish of 5.8 out of 11).
Conference record in that time period: 97-83 (53.9 percent)
First round NBA picks 5+* (Hawes, Pondexter, Wroten, Ross, Wilcox, plus Chriss almost assuredly and Murray most likely)
Second round NBA picks* 2 (Brockman and Thomas)

But most of that's basically peripheral. What really matters is we have 3 NCAAs and one Sweet 16 in 10 years.

Bob Bender coached UW for nine years. He made the NCAA tournament twice, the Sweet 16 once, and the NIT twice.

The next time someone tells you we can't fire Romar because UW hoops was so shitty before Romar got here, tell them they're right, it was so shitty before Romar, but the last ten years of the Romar era is an ever so small improvement over the Bender era.

If the Bender era was "so shitty", then the Romar era is shitty, at best.

#FireRomar

*Not counting Roy (first) or Jones (second) who were technically drafted three months after that game but never played another game for UW.

Comments