Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Millions of ordinary Americans support Donald Trump. Here's why

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,851
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Finally! Great article on Trump's real appeal to voters and hint, it has nothing to do with race.

Also noted, is the that a non-US based news outlet did the honest research.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/07/donald-trump-why-americans-support

honda in 3 .. 2..

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The article suggests that Trump's appeal to "ordinary Americans" is because of his ideas on trade policy.

That is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    pawz said:

Finally! Great article on Trump's real appeal to voters and hint, it has nothing to do with race.

Also noted, is the that a non-US based news outlet did the honest research.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/07/donald-trump-why-americans-support

honda in 3 .. 2..

Free pub!!!!
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bullshit. Most of Trump's supporters are too stupid to know what free trade is.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Pretty dumb article because of the overlying assumptions on Trump and supporters his "discussion" is filtered through (i.e. they must all be dumb racists, and they are that way because Liberalism failed).

Trump's appeal is the sum total of a lot of policies that have been taken to the extreme, from free trade to corollary of that in free importing of discounted labor, and the focus of spending vast amounts of money and policies to prop up banks and large corporations that don't impact the day-to-day lives of ordinary Americans.

I also think people will be surprised if Trump wins the nomination as to how much African American support he could get if he can get his message out...opening the floodgates to immigrants for cheap labor has impacted them as bad or worse than anybody. Its why the median household income is down something like 10% and the median African American household income is down 15+%. Its amazing how supply and demand work like that...
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Back when Obama was elected a group of firebrand Republicans saw him as a meal ticket.

They created a thing called the Tea Party. This would fire up the grassroots and make the GOP a power party with grassroots made up of roughnecks who felt colored folk were taking their jobs.

Well ... they took advantage of those folk. Played them for fools, thought they would go away.

Problem is they created a Frankenstein ... and the Frankenstein has found a voice in Donald Trump.

Nobody cares what his policy on XYZ is ... just that he is going to go kick ass.

I'm not sure he can beat Cruz one on one ... but we're about to find out.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    topdawgnc said:

Back when Obama was elected a group of firebrand Republicans saw him as a meal ticket.

They created a thing called the Tea Party. This would fire up the grassroots and make the GOP a power party with grassroots made up of roughnecks who felt colored folk were taking their jobs.

Well ... they took advantage of those folk. Played them for fools, thought they would go away.

Problem is they created a Frankenstein ... and the Frankenstein has found a voice in Donald Trump.

Nobody cares what his policy on XYZ is ... just that he is going to go kick ass.

I don't agree with your assessment. The Tea Party is still here. They're still by and large Cruz supporters who want an extreme cutback on government and a renewed focus on socially restrictive policies.

Trump's supporters are all over the spectrum politically, but for the most part are not disillusioned Tea Partiers. They're disillusioned everythings. They are the culmination of decades of a GOP (and to a lesser extent, the democrats) that hasn't come through for them; whether it be on issues of immigration, the domestic economy, or foreign policy. So they've now been drawn to the candidate who has boiled down all of that frustration into one single authoritarian message: "We will win, and I will get my way on every policy issue".

Both camps have been let down by the GOP, but for very different reasons. Zakaria sums it up pretty well in this column:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-gops-dishonesty-led-to-the-rise-of-donald-trump-and-ted-cruz/2016/01/28/d0bfdf8c-c5fb-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

topdawgnc said:

I don't agree with your assessment. The Tea Party is still here. They're still by and large Cruz supporters who want an extreme cutback on government and a renewed focus on socially restrictive policies.

Trump's supporters are all over the spectrum politically, but for the most part are not disillusioned Tea Partiers. They're disillusioned everythings. They are the culmination of decades of a GOP (and to a lesser extent, the democrats) that hasn't come through for them; whether it be on issues of immigration, the domestic economy, or foreign policy. So they've now been drawn to the candidate who has boiled down all of that frustration into one single authoritarian message: "We will win, and I will get my way on every policy issue".

Both camps have been let down by the GOP, but for very different reasons. Zakaria sums it up pretty well in this column:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-gops-dishonesty-led-to-the-rise-of-donald-trump-and-ted-cruz/2016/01/28/d0bfdf8c-c5fb-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html
    Bingo.

This is why Trump sucks in closed primary states but dominates when they're open. He has just as much support outside of the GOP as he does inside of it.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2016
    dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Bingo.

This is why Trump sucks in closed primary states but dominates when they're open. He has just as much support outside of the GOP as he does inside of it.
    Which makes him a much bigger threat in a general election, than many people give him credit for.

Trump has systematically created a third party, which consists roughly 40% of the GOP and 20% of ignored democrats.

It's extremely difficult to battle Trump, because nobody has seen anybody with this kind of cross over pull in politics.
  • Options

dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Bingo.

Which makes him a much bigger threat in a general election, than many people give him credit for.
    It might. The hard thing to decipher is just how much of the GOP electorate stays home/votes third party if Trump is the nominee. I don't think anybody really knows. There's a real possibility that a very large chunk just sits it out or votes Romney/whoever.

The best thing for Trump would be Sanders winning the nomination, because the GOP would have to vote for him then. If it's Hillary I think a lot of people stay home.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

topdawgnc said:

Thanks for the link. That was actually quite a good analysis.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Bingo.

It might. The hard thing to decipher is just how much of the GOP electorate stays home/votes third party if Trump is the nominee. I don't think anybody really knows. There's a real possibility that a very large chunk just sits it out or votes Romney/whoever.

The best thing for Trump would be Sanders winning the nomination, because the GOP would have to vote for him then. If it's Hillary I think a lot of people stay home.
    You might be right, but I'm also wondering if he'll pull in even more support from first time disenfranchised voters once he wins the nomination. It's the great unknown, which easily makes this the most fascinating election cycle in our country's history. This election is going to be talked about for generations.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Bingo.

You might be right, but I'm also wondering if he'll pull in even more support from first time disenfranchised voters once he wins the nomination. It's the great unknown, which easily makes this the most fascinating election cycle in our country's history. This election is going to be talked about for generations.
    Agree. Like I said, it's hard to decipher what will happen, a ton of variables in place.

For once, it really is EWIWBI
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

dnc said:

dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Bingo.

People still talk about the Hindenburg and the Great Chicago Fire too.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

topdawgnc said:

Excellent article.

I stand corrected.

Bottom line, voters are fucking pissed off.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,957
    edited March 2016
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Excellent article.

I stand corrected.

True dat. And Trump is marketing pissed off better than any of the other candidates.

Rubio is a whiner, not even sure Cruz is an American, Hilary is fucking Hilary and Bernie is Larry David with a free college education program.

Trump is "'Merica Fuck YEAH!" on steroids. He will roll in November.

Not saying I agree with him on much of anything so don't twist. But unless something radical happens between now and November, get ready for the hottest first lady ever.

And if he tabs Kacich as the VP, it's not even going to be close.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Excellent article.

I stand corrected.

True dat. And Trump is marketing pissed off better than any of the other candidates.

Rubio is a whiner, not even sure Cruz is an American, Hilary is fucking Hilary and Bernie is Larry David with a free college education program.

Not saying I agree with him on much of anything so don't twist. But unless something radical happens between now and November, get ready for the hottest first lady ever.

Not so fast my friend.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,957
    Swaye said:

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Excellent article.

I stand corrected.

Not so fast my friend.

Boner deflation.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,901
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Bingo.

Most Trump v. Sanders polls have Feel the Bern winning
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

Excellent article.

I stand corrected.

Not so fast my friend.

Boner deflation.
    That fucker had polio AND married that swamp thing. What a shit show.