Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We've got a WOOF!

13»

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    AEB said:

Don't hate more for this, but I think Dotson will be a 2016 contributor coming out of Spring. He's the "wait 'til Ivan gets a hold of him" script in practice. Came in at 150 lbs, will start the Fall at 180 with 4.4 speed. On record...hold me accountable.

He very well might contribute, we saw good flashes of him in the bowl game. But only reason I think he might be on couch watch is because McGrew might pass him up on the depth chart as the pass catching speed back.
  • Options
    huskyfavrehuskyfavre Member Posts: 121
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Vegasdawg said:

why the racist comments? Do you believe it is necessary in order to discuss college recruiting?

LOL that anyone would single out this particular thread on HH as racist.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,715
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

The need is two RBs in this class. Weddington and Ahmed? That'd be great.

I'm assuming 17-18 in this class:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

Would need a bunch of early entries or some very un-Petersen like attrition to get to that number. Not saying it is impossible, but it seems a little high as a baseline estimate.
    Attrition of 7-8 over the next 18 months isn't that high. Some schools need 7 guys to LEAVE in the next 6 months just to fit in their 2015 signees.

Especially considering there has been low attrition the last year or two there are a number of guys in the 2014 and 2015 classes that could leave for greener pastures elsewhere. CP may be a great molder of men but he can't play more than 11 guys at a time. Also SMFJ should go pro and there are a few other guys who could be early entrants with big 2016 seasons.

I would guess 17 right now but wouldn't be surprised if it ends up at 18 or 19.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

Would need a bunch of early entries or some very un-Petersen like attrition to get to that number. Not saying it is impossible, but it seems a little high as a baseline estimate.
    Attrition of 7-8 over the next 18 months isn't that high. Some schools need 7 guys to LEAVE in the next 6 months just to fit in their 2015 signees.

Especially considering there has been low attrition the last year or two there are a number of guys in the 2014 and 2015 classes that could leave for greener pastures elsewhere. CP may be a great molder of men but he can't play more than 11 guys at a time. Also SMFJ should go pro and there are a few other guys who could be early entrants with big 2016 seasons.

I'd probably project 15-16, but I can't argue with your logic.

Petersen has actually said that he thinks 17-18 is the ideal class size.
  • Options
    AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

That is interesting I didn't know he was that specific. It is pretty clear looking at his process from the outside that he highly values class and position balance. I am sure this results in a significant benefit in being able to plan 2-3 years ahead and manage a roster. Especially compared to the way Sark did it.

If you go lower than 17 in a class you risk being super young 3 years down the line unless somehow the entire class manages to become contributors.

Stanford will be a team to watch for a downturn next year due to their 12 person 2013 recruiting class of which only 4 have become significant contributors and one of those is off to the NFL (Hooper.) Good luck replacing Hooper and 3/5 starting OL with freshmen and sophomores not to mention half the defense.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,999
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

That is interesting I didn't know he was that specific.
    Peterman just did simple math. 85 schollies divided by five years (everyone redshirts). Seventeen is ideal with no attrition.

He knows this is not an ideal world.

• Options
    EwaDawg said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

Peterman just did simple math. 85 schollies divided by five years (everyone redshirts). Seventeen is ideal with no attrition.

Yeah good point the math actually doesn't work out since not everyone redshirts.

IMO 17 should be the absolute floor and we should aim for 20-21 in most years.
  • Options

EwaDawg said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

Yeah good point the math actually doesn't work out since not everyone redshirts.

IMO 17 should be the absolute floor and we should aim for 20-21 in most years.
    I don't disagree, but I heard Petersen's interview on 710 AM after signing day and he said he actually prefers 17-18 versus 21-22+.

I don't recall his rationale, if he actually described it.

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    He said that 17-20 is ideal in terms of it meaning that your players that you are recruiting are sticking around and developing well and you aren't needing to load up on players.

I think he was talking more in the context of it reflecting that they are targeting the right players if they are in the 17-20 range, more than anything.
  • Options

He said that 17-20 is ideal in terms of it meaning that your players that you are recruiting are sticking around and developing well and you aren't needing to load up on players.

I think he was talking more in the context of it reflecting that they are targeting the right players if they are in the 17-20 range, more than anything.

Could be. I was only half listening. It just struck me that what I considered a bit on the small side for class size, he considered "ideal".
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Wedington is a superb athlete with great hips....for a white guy.

He is 50% white!
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2016

He is 50% white!
    Most black Americans are, at least according to HLA testing
  • Options

He is 50% white!
    Most black Americans are, at least according to HLA testing
    So then Wellington is 75% white.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,914
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    According to Eklund, Weddington is visiting Cal this weekend. Somebody else said he was just offered by Stanford.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Vegasdawg said:

why the racist comments? Do you believe it is necessary in order to discuss college recruiting?

It depends on whether recruits kids are reading the site or not.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    EwaDawg said:

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

3 DB
    2 LB
    2 DT/NT
    1 DE
    4 OL
    1 QB
    2 RB
    3 WR/TE

Except that there is always attrition. If you have 15 kids make it to year 4 or 5 out of a class, that's a good one.