Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Smiff on a hot seat?

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Dead Horse, J.

This might be the first time in NCAA history that not having a long term contract @ OC will improve recruiting.

First and best comment of the day.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kwiatkowski is the biggest bargain in CFB at 600k/year

In the sec, or the upper 1/3 of the big ten, he would be making $200,000-300,000 more a year for the defense he's put out there.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

@Gladstone @RoadDawg55: I wish JS were gone as well, but I think @HuskyClaws and @bananasnblondes are right. In Peterson's eyes, this is probably JS's no more excuses year. I predict his play calling will again be shitty and fail to exploit his players' skills. But the improved play from the O-Line and skill players on offense will mask JS's failings just enough to make retaining him a close-call for Peterson, even though it shouldn't be. People will focus on yards, points and averages, which hide shit plays like 1 yard bubble screens, 2 yard dives, and dropped passes that count against QB stats more than the shit receivers or bad play calls. Smith will reap the benefits of what the O does next fall, instead of being judged by all the lost opportunities he'll leave all over the field, all season long.

Post of the day. Gaskin and the improved ol play will allow us to beat a lot of shitty teams on the sched (wildcats, beavs, cougs, bears and the 1-aa non conf. scrimmages) because of the diff. in jimmies and joes coupled with death row defense.

We haven't won a 50-50 game yet under coach Pete against a team with equal or better talent outside USC last year and we all know what was going on down there so this is where Smith has to get over the hump. I don't think you can do it by using the "random playcall generator" as it forces him to piss away plays, which lead to series and ultimately games.

We will know if Smith is retained in 2017 based on the Stanford, Duck, Utah, USC, ASU games. Must win the three home games and hopefully at least split the road games.

offensive coaches mantra for 2016 should be "be stubborn with it" (it being what is working, or more ideally being committed to the run)
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Funny how the offense, and Smith's playcalling got better as the freshmen and sophomores gained experience. But lets not look at reality. Just blame playcalling.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Funny how the offense, and Smith's playcalling got better as the freshmen and sophomores gained experience and we played shit teams like Oregon State, Wazzu and Southern Miss. But lets not look at reality. Just blame playcalling.

FTFY
  • Options

Funny how the offense, and Smith's playcalling got better as the freshmen and sophomores gained experience. But lets not look at reality. Just blame playcalling.

His play-calling "got better" when they finally decided to run Gaskin more and "be stubborn with the run".

Smith still sucks donkey dicks. He's a fucking pussy.
    "They" decided to be stubborn with run? Who's they? How about the freshmen and sophomores on the line got better and allowed "they" to run gaskin more as season wore on.. "They" could have ran gaskin all night in Boise, wouldnt have done much good.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Tough-sell, Pup. The two aren't inextricably linked. If a "process of elimination" of bad plays that never should've been called counts toward "getting better" then we've got ourselves an FCS play caller, if even that, getting paid 440k a year to learn on the job. Fuck.That.Shit. Double-reverses and shit like that reek of fear and lack of faith in your players to execute proper plays. If my team loses, I don't want them losing like chicken-shit pussies who shoot their own feet off half the time. The only way they win 50-50 games against tough opponents is by beating other teams straight-up in the strength, endurance and toughness departments. And Smith is none of those.
  • Options

godawgst said:

@Gladstone @RoadDawg55: I wish JS were gone as well, but I think @HuskyClaws and @bananasnblondes are right. In Peterson's eyes, this is probably JS's no more excuses year. I predict his play calling will again be shitty and fail to exploit his players' skills. But the improved play from the O-Line and skill players on offense will mask JS's failings just enough to make retaining him a close-call for Peterson, even though it shouldn't be. People will focus on yards, points and averages, which hide shit plays like 1 yard bubble screens, 2 yard dives, and dropped passes that count against QB stats more than the shit receivers or bad play calls. Smith will reap the benefits of what the O does next fall, instead of being judged by all the lost opportunities he'll leave all over the field, all season long.

Post of the day. Gaskin and the improved ol play will allow us to beat a lot of shitty teams on the sched (wildcats, beavs, cougs, bears and the 1-aa non conf. scrimmages) because of the diff. in jimmies and joes coupled with death row defense.

We haven't won a 50-50 game yet under coach Pete against a team with equal or better talent outside USC last year and we all know what was going on down there so this is where Smith has to get over the hump. I don't think you can do it by using the "random playcall generator" as it forces him to piss away plays, which lead to series and ultimately games.

We will know if Smith is retained in 2017 based on the Stanford, Duck, Utah, USC, ASU games. Must win the three home games and hopefully at least split the road games.

offensive coaches mantra for 2016 should be "be stubborn with it" (it being what is working, or more ideally being committed to the run)
    Maybe it was the competition, but the offense looked a lot better when they actually ran the ball early in the game and stuck with it. I'm somewhat optimistic that the ASU game was a turning point, but I can also easily see Petersen and Smith falling in love with an improved Browning and airing it out. Run heavy balance is what this team needs. Just stop over complicating it.
    The best thing that came out of the ASU loss was lending our playbook to Oregon for the Alamo Bowl.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

His play-calling "got better" when they finally decided to run Gaskin more and "be stubborn with the run".

"They" decided to be stubborn with run? Who's they? How about the freshmen and sophomores on the line got better and allowed "they" to run gaskin more as season wore on.. "They" could have ran gaskin all night in Boise, wouldnt have done much good.

"THEY" better not fuck things up with play-calling in 2016 and leave winnable games on the table.
    How many negative data points do you need to see before you take off the doog 'maybe the future will be different' glasses?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

"THEY" better not fuck things up with play-calling in 2016 and leave winnable games on the table.
    How many negative data points do you need to see before you take off the doog 'maybe the future will be different' glasses?
    That's the thing. I'm very skeptical about 2016 being that much better on the offensive side.

Pumpy, on the other hand, seems to think that Smith is getting better and he's going to magically call better plays once the players mature and become more experienced.

Like I said earlier. I think Smith is a pussy and he sucks donkey dicks as an OC.
  • Options

Gladstone said:

That's the thing. I'm very skeptical about 2016 being that much better on the offensive side.

Pumpy, on the other hand, seems to think that Smith is getting better and he's going to magically call better plays once the players mature and become more experienced.

Like I said earlier. I think Smith is a pussy and he sucks donkey dicks as an OC.
    "Skeptical of the offense being much better in 2016"? Dipshit post of the year!! Here's your chance to retract that incredibly fucktarded statement.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

"Skeptical of the offense being much better in 2016"? Dipshit post of the year!! Here's your chance to retract that incredibly fucktarded statement.
    I won't. They are what they are. I'm not about to crown their asses until they prove otherwise. It's up to CP to fucking wake up and do what it takes to win on offense.

Pussyfaggotginer Smiff ain't gonna do it.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My main concern is the 2 minute drill. Smith wants my respect. Fucking earn it in the 2 minute drill and win the game. Prove you can run a hurry up with urgency or grind out 7 minutes depending on the situation.

Show some fucking command of the pace of the game and understanding of the personnel. You have a good D backing you up, be confident, aggressive and don't punt on 4th and 1 on their side of the field.

Earn your extension. There's enough talent to be successful.

Training wheels are off and I'm pushing you down the hill. Win or get fucked.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited February 2016
    Doogles said:

My main concern is the 2 minute drill. Smith wants my respect. Fucking earn it in the 2 minute drill and win the game. Prove you can run a hurry up with urgency or grind out 7 minutes depending on the situation.

Show some fucking command of the pace of the game and understanding of the personnel. You have a good D backing you up, be confident, aggressive and don't punt on 4th and 1 on their side of the field.

Still have a feeling that Pete fires him mid season, not sure why he didn't fire him with Pease and bring in another coach, fuck it , sell his couch and assume OC duties.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

Still have a feeling that Pete fires him mid season, not sure why he didn't fire him with Pease and bring in another coach, fuck it , sell his couch and assume OC duties.
    Definitely would have been much better to jettison Smiff at the conclusion of 2015. Instead, now we're going to risk another "throw-away season" on offense in 2016.