Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Stanford is killing it.

2»

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

First you have to get your program to the point where you blow games that cost you national titles while you are winning conference titles. That was Don James from 1977-1991.

That is Shaw now. Oregon has done better with their conference champs by losing in the final game. At least they got there!!!111!!!! But it took Oregon time to get to that point.

In arguing against fucktards like Ty and Sark we do sometimes go a bit over the top on good to great winning coaches by saying they suck. You don't want to settle and you don't want 20 years of 9-3 just because you had 15 years of Owen 12 to 7-6.

But Shaw or Miles or hopefully Petermen would be welcome here. We'd bitch and moan when they lost but overall we would regain some of our Husky Arrogance.

James would lose to fucking Navy and go to the Rose Bowl. It drove me crazy. Two straight Apple Cup losses stopped us from 4 Rose Bowls in a row.

You get pissed. You lash out. Then you get excited for the next season. Trust me, its a lot better than the shit show of this century

POTW
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

First you have to get your program to the point where you blow games that cost you national titles while you are winning conference titles. That was Don James from 1977-1991.

That is Shaw now. Oregon has done better with their conference champs by losing in the final game. At least they got there!!!111!!!! But it took Oregon time to get to that point.

In arguing against fucktards like Ty and Sark we do sometimes go a bit over the top on good to great winning coaches by saying they suck. You don't want to settle and you don't want 20 years of 9-3 just because you had 15 years of Owen 12 to 7-6.

But Shaw or Miles or hopefully Petermen would be welcome here. We'd bitch and moan when they lost but overall we would regain some of our Husky Arrogance.

James would lose to fucking Navy and go to the Rose Bowl. It drove me crazy. Two straight Apple Cup losses stopped us from 4 Rose Bowls in a row.

You get pissed. You lash out. Then you get excited for the next season. Trust me, its a lot better than the shit show of this century

I want so badly to know what this feels like, Uncle Race.
  • Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    How in the world people can say Shaw sucks is beyond me. All of you sound like haters. Stanford is getting it done and UW is not. There's no comparison. And they are recruiting very well regardless of what some of you think.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    MisterEm said:

I want so badly to know what this feels like, Uncle Race.
    Awkward.
    That was what I was going for
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

We (?) are going to have to give Shaw his due. Is he perfect? No. But he's pretty damn good all around the job

Kind of the Black Les Miles

Some of us have been pro Shaw all along.

Dude's easily the best coach in the conference. Tallest midget perhaps, but that midget's getting shit done.
    I was a hater initially but can't argue with his results.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    ^^ Self-awareness awesome. Ahem, @woodchips. I mean @CollegeDoog.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

An average star rating of 3.28 seems a bit underwhelming coming off a rose bowl plunger victory vs mighty Iowa.

Would you think more highly of their class if they took 4* Bisharat over 2* Maddox? They had their choice and preferred Maddox.

They have an identity. They are getting their pick of players nationwide that fit that identity. They are kicking ass.
    Not saying they are doing bad. Clearly they identify a specific type of a player and develop him into their system. It seems to be working.

However I think its funny that everyone is sucking Shaw's dick over a class that averages 3.28 stars but if Petersen had just came off a Rose Bowl victory and pulled the same type of class everyone would be destroying him. I'm still not a huge believer in Shaw as a head coach but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt re: recruiting given their on the field performance during his time as HC.
    Is there a way to both upvote and downvote the same poast?
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

We (?) are going to have to give Shaw his due. Is he perfect? No. But he's pretty damn good all around the job

Kind of the Black Les Miles

Some of us have been pro Shaw all along.

Dude's easily the best coach in the conference. Tallest midget perhaps, but that midget's getting shit done.
    He's a damn good coach but it's far from calling him tallest midget. There is one Saban, one Urb and one Harbaugh. That's it. And people act like anything below that is unacceptable. So the Pac12 doesn't have 1 of those 3 coaches. But in order, the pirate is an upgrade over Wulff, Peterman an upgrade over bark for sark. The beavs, a wash. Oregon, a downgrade. Cal, a downgrade/wash, SC a wash, UCLA an upgrade, ASU an upgrade, UofA an upgrade, Colorada slight upgrade but still a dreck, and Whittingham is a damn good coach.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

An average star rating of 3.28 seems a bit underwhelming coming off a rose bowl plunger victory vs mighty Iowa.

Would you think more highly of their class if they took 4* Bisharat over 2* Maddox? They had their choice and preferred Maddox.

They have an identity. They are getting their pick of players nationwide that fit that identity. They are kicking ass.
    Not saying they are doing bad. Clearly they identify a specific type of a player and develop him into their system. It seems to be working.

However I think its funny that everyone is sucking Shaw's dick over a class that averages 3.28 stars but if Petersen had just came off a Rose Bowl victory and pulled the same type of class everyone would be destroying him. I'm still not a huge believer in Shaw as a head coach but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt re: recruiting given their on the field performance during his time as HC.
    Holy strawman, batman! That is an absolutely ludicrous comparison. CCCP coming off a Rose Bowl win would be a god who could do no wrong.

54-14, 36-9. 4 top ten finishes in 5 years. What can he do to make you a believer? Winners win. Shaw has proven everyone wrong- he is a winner.
    His first year he inherited Andrew Luck. Petersen inherited Cyler Miles and Lindquist. His rose bowl victories have been against an 8-5 lame duck Wisconsin team coached by the athletic director and Iowa. Sorry but I'm not a big Iowa guy. He was 8-5 last season with Hogan. He's a good coach. Never said he wasn't. In general he beats who he is supposed to beat. But I don't consider him elite.
    Why do you keep talking about CP? We are discussing Shaw.

Shaw had Luck for one year. He had fricking Josh Nunes (who?) and Kevin Hogan the last four. Hogan almost grad transferred because it was questionable whether he would keep his job as a redshirt senior. Not an elite qb to say the least.

Saying that a coach "beats who he is supposed to beat" is basically a message board admission that you have no real analysis but you know that said coach hasn't won a national championship so its probably a safe but empty claim.

However Shaw is actually 6-1 straight up as an underdog of 3+ points. 4-1 as an underdog of more than a TD. Let that sink in for a minute. (If you want to bring CCCP into the discussion he is 2-8 as an underdog of 3+ points thus far. And oh, btw, that 2012 Badgers team had just put up 70 on Nebraska in the BIGCCG and hadn't lost by more than 3 points in regulation all year. Not a pushover.)
    Shaw's ceiling is a Rose Bowl victory over a Big 10 team not named Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State. Any of those teams would have beat Stanford this year even with that O Line, McCaffrey & Super senior Hogan. But luckily for Stanford they got Iowa. This is also the same Shaw that lost to Sark because he went with the more highly rated Nunes over Hogan and didn't realize it until it was too late.

I never said he wasn't a good coach. I just don't think he's an elite coach. There's a reason he is avoiding the NFL. He knows he'll get exposed. I've watched a lot of Stanford games and seen him implode. Never really been that impressed. Outside of Luck and Decastro (both Harbaugh guys) I can't recall a Stanford player that has made an impact in the NFL under Shaw. Coby Fleener doesn't count.

You clearly put a lot more thought/time into the analytics under Shaw than I have and can't dispute those facts. However, the Badgers team that Stanford beat was without Bielema and finished 8-6. Not impressed. That was also one of the weakest years in recent Big 10 history. The two best teams, Ohio State and Penn State, were ineligible due to sanctions. Michigan State was 7-6. Brady Hoke was still a head coach. Sorry but beating Bo Pelini isn't special. The fact remains that his Rose Bowl victories were against Barry Alvarez and Kirk Ferentz.

With all that being said I'd kill for the opportunity to even play in a Rose Bowl so there is of course some envy on my part. Stanford is a superior program to Washington and I hate it. It's still a hard pill for me to swallow. The fact that David Shaw is the top dog in PAC12 in 2016 says a lot more about the conference we play in than the head coach himself. It's not what it once was that's for sure.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Kind of the Black mulatto Les Miles

Let's get it straight.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,485
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Kind of the Black mulatto Les Miles

Let's get it straight.
    Not really your style...