Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Stanford is killing it.

Seems like they have gotten five or six 4 stars in the last week.

Comments

• Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

We (?) are going to have to give Shaw his due. Is he perfect? No. But he's pretty damn good all around the job

Kind of the Black Les Miles

Pretty solid comparison. I never thought he'd keep it together after Harbaugh, but he really has. We better get out shit together soon.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Not sure where you got your info. Based on 247, since the beginning of January...

4 stars - 1
    3 stars - 8
    2 stars - 2
  • Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    HuskyInAZ said:

Not sure where you got your info. Based on 247, since the beginning of January...

4 stars - 1
    3 stars - 8
    2 stars - 2

I stand corrected. I just saw that they have gotten 3 commits in the past couple of days, but most were high 3 stars.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    tvoie said:

HuskyInAZ said:

4 stars - 1
    3 stars - 8
    2 stars - 2

I stand corrected. I just saw that they have gotten 3 commits in the past couple of days, but most were high 3 stars.
    Classic confirmation bias. It's telling because you want it to be.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We (?) are going to have to give Shaw his due. Is he perfect? No. But he's pretty damn good all around the job

I've never gotten the Shaw hate. Like you said, he hasn't been perfect but he has kept Stanford rolling post-Harbaugh, which no one thought he would do. I also gained a lot of respect for him when he told Sark to lick his taint after Sark accused him of cheating.
    Shaw "hater" here. I thought he'd fall way off. He hasn't yet, so either I was wrong or the league is just that weak right now. Or abundance.

He recruits well and seems to get his guys the right roids. I don't think he's a good game day coach or play caller.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2016
    What is impressive about Stanford's class is that they are getting their guys from every region of the country and continuing to expand their national reach.

Only 3 kids from Cali and 5 total from PAC territory (7 if you count Hawaii) compared to 7 CA/11 PAC out of 22 in 2015 and 5 CA/12 PAC out of 20 in 2014

2016 kids also hail from:
    -6 from Texas
    -5 from the Northeast
    -4 from the Southeast
    -2 from the Midwest

Also lots of big bodies as usual:

-13 out of 25 recruits are on the lines counting their big TEs.
    -All 3 WRs listed at 6'3.5" or taller.

I don't care if UCLA or USC has more flashy top-100 playmakers. This is the best recruiting class in the Pac and Stanford will be the team to beat in conference for years to come. Our best chance to unseat them is 2016 since they will be YOUNG.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    An average star rating of 3.28 seems a bit underwhelming coming off a rose bowl plunger victory vs mighty Iowa.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    pat_hm said:

An average star rating of 3.28 seems a bit underwhelming coming off a rose bowl plunger victory vs mighty Iowa.

Would you think more highly of their class if they took 4* Bisharat over 2* Maddox? They had their choice and preferred Maddox.

They have an identity. They are getting their pick of players nationwide that fit that identity. They are kicking ass.
  • Options

pat_hm said:

Would you think more highly of their class if they took 4* Bisharat over 2* Maddox? They had their choice and preferred Maddox.

They have an identity. They are getting their pick of players nationwide that fit that identity. They are kicking ass.
    Not saying they are doing bad. Clearly they identify a specific type of a player and develop him into their system. It seems to be working.

However I think its funny that everyone is sucking Shaw's dick over a class that averages 3.28 stars but if Petersen had just came off a Rose Bowl victory and pulled the same type of class everyone would be destroying him. I'm still not a huge believer in Shaw as a head coach but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt re: recruiting given their on the field performance during his time as HC.
  • Options

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Not saying they are doing bad. Clearly they identify a specific type of a player and develop him into their system. It seems to be working.

However I think its funny that everyone is sucking Shaw's dick over a class that averages 3.28 stars but if Petersen had just came off a Rose Bowl victory and pulled the same type of class everyone would be destroying him. I'm still not a huge believer in Shaw as a head coach but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt re: recruiting given their on the field performance during his time as HC.
    Holy strawman, batman! That is an absolutely ludicrous comparison. CCCP coming off a Rose Bowl win would be a god who could do no wrong.

54-14, 36-9. 4 top ten finishes in 5 years. What can he do to make you a believer? Winners win. Shaw has proven everyone wrong- he is a winner.
    His first year he inherited Andrew Luck. Petersen inherited Cyler Miles and Lindquist. His rose bowl victories have been against an 8-5 lame duck Wisconsin team coached by the athletic director and Iowa. Sorry but I'm not a big Iowa guy. He was 8-5 last season with Hogan. He's a good coach. Never said he wasn't. In general he beats who he is supposed to beat. But I don't consider him elite.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Holy strawman, batman! That is an absolutely ludicrous comparison. CCCP coming off a Rose Bowl win would be a god who could do no wrong.

54-14, 36-9. 4 top ten finishes in 5 years. What can he do to make you a believer? Winners win. Shaw has proven everyone wrong- he is a winner.
    His first year he inherited Andrew Luck. Petersen inherited Cyler Miles and Lindquist. His rose bowl victories have been against an 8-5 lame duck Wisconsin team coached by the athletic director and Iowa. Sorry but I'm not a big Iowa guy. He was 8-5 last season with Hogan. He's a good coach. Never said he wasn't. In general he beats who he is supposed to beat. But I don't consider him elite.
    Actually I think he always shits a game against a team he should beat, which is what kept him out of multiple playoff appearances. Northwestern, USC, UW... That alone keeps him from being a top tier coach, but he is very good and right on the tier below Saban/Meyer.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2016

People that rip David Shaw haven't a clue. He took a very good program and kept it very good to excellent. They may be a bit down next year. But a 10 win Season is a down year for them these days.

And He's a LOT better coach than Les Miles.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Miles has a very good record and winner's win, but I've watched enough LSU football to realize he is one stupid motherfucker. He's also the coach of the only two loss champion.

The record is what it is though. It's pretty easy to make a case why he's a good coach.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

Miles has a very good record and winner's win, but I've watched enough LSU football to realize he is one stupid motherfucker. He's also the coach of the only two loss champion.

The record is what it is though. It's pretty easy to make a case why he's a good coach.

Miles is a borderline retard.

But the ease of recruiting Louisiana athletes to LSU makes up for a lot of stupid.