Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to our resident Ducks

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Mosster, come on man...

That Alamo was embarrassing on many levels. It was the only time in 25 years of following this team, I laughed when they lost. I actually started to root for TCU late in the 3rd quarter when they showed a shot of Pellum on the sideline. I realized then, a loss like that would send him packing. By mid 4th quarter though, I realized after the 47th ground ball snapped by our backup center, that if this coaching staff can't even get our 2nd string center to shot gun snap the ball or go under center, then how can I expect them to actually hire a decent coordinator. I realized, it was over.

I opened up the scotch cabinet, poured a 12 year Glendronach, and watched in cynical laughter, as the final 8 minutes and overtime confirmed my observations.

Oregon football was diagnosed with terminal cancer on January 16th, 2013. It officially died on January 2nd, 2016.

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Mosster, come on man...

That Alamo was embarrassing on many levels. It was the only time in 25 years of following this team, I laughed when they lost. I actually started to root for TCU late in the 3rd quarter when they showed a shot of Pellum on the sideline. I realized then, a loss like that would send him packing. By mid 4th quarter though, I realized after the 47th ground ball snapped by our backup center, that if this coaching staff can't even get our 2nd string center to shot gun snap the ball or go under center, then how can I expect them to actually hire a decent coordinator. I realized, it was over.

I opened up the scotch cabinet, poured a 12 year Glendronach, and watched in cynical laughter, as the final 8 minutes and overtime confirmed my observations.

Oregon football was diagnosed with terminal cancer on January 16th, 2013. It officially died on January 2nd, 2016.

When you're diagnosed with terminal cancer, it usually means the life expectancy is 6-months or less.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    That game did help us excise one of the main tumors. Helfrick is going to sink or swim the next two seasons.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

That game did help us excise one of the main tumors. Helfrick is going to sink or swim the next two seasons.

Pretty much.

Frost was a leftover from Chip. Speaking of Chip being gay, how about this scenario: Oregon needs a WR coach. So, Chip hires a guy who played defense in the NFL, has only coached defense, and was the D-coordinator at a small college. Oh, and he's one of the best looking coaches in history (no homo). The two of them also went a long trip to Spain together with no one else on the coaching staff during the summer. Yeah, not gay at all.

Slingblade hired Don Pellum over Dave Aranda and Todd Orlando. So, he passed up two of the best young DC's in the business for arguably the worst DC in major college football over the last five years. Obviously I'm not confident in his hiring of Hoke. It seems like an attempt at a poor man's Ed O.

Lubick did a tremendous job improving the inept passing game schematically Frost had put together. Promoting Lubick to be a first time coordinator and hiring Yost who is one of the best OC's of the 2000's seems odd, especially since Yost is the QB Coach. You can probably count on one finger the number of Power 5 OC's that aren't QB coaches.

I thought Slingblade was a terrible hire initially but I got why they hired him. I knew he was a terrible coach after the ass raping in Tucson. This Alamo Bowl meltdown was historically shitty. Yes, Pellum got moved but Slingblade hired him to begin with.

Oregon is a middle tier program with its free agent QB's and sieve defense until proven otherwise. By the end of year two there weren't two guys in the program that could snap the ball to the QB or throw a five yard slant? Pretty fucking pathetic.
  • Options
    SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 917
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

Pretty much.

Frost was a leftover from Chip. Speaking of Chip being gay, how about this scenario: Oregon needs a WR coach. So, Chip hires a guy who played defense in the NFL, has only coached defense, and was the D-coordinator at a small college. Oh, and he's one of the best looking coaches in history (no homo). The two of them also went a long trip to Spain together with no one else on the coaching staff during the summer. Yeah, not gay at all.

Slingblade hired Don Pellum over Dave Aranda and Todd Orlando. So, he passed up two of the best young DC's in the business for arguably the worst DC in major college football over the last five years. Obviously I'm not confident in his hiring of Hoke. It seems like an attempt at a poor man's Ed O.

Lubick did a tremendous job improving the inept passing game schematically Frost had put together. Promoting Lubick to be a first time coordinator and hiring Yost who is one of the best OC's of the 2000's seems odd, especially since Yost is the QB Coach. You can probably count on one finger the number of Power 5 OC's that aren't QB coaches.

I thought Slingblade was a terrible hire initially but I got why they hired him. I knew he was a terrible coach after the ass raping in Tucson. This Alamo Bowl meltdown was historically shitty. Yes, Pellum got moved but Slingblade hired him to begin with.

Oregon is a middle tier program with its free agent QB's and sieve defense until proven otherwise. By the end of year two there weren't two guys in the program that could snap the ball to the QB or throw a five yard slant? Pretty fucking pathetic.
    I never blame a team for losing to Dick Rod
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sounds like Mosster just can't be happy with a 9-win Season being a down year.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Mosster, come on man...

I'm an oregon fan and haven't thought that many words about the game since it ended.

Someone else beat Oregon, nothing else matters. Again.

• Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Mosster, come on man...

I'm an oregon fan and haven't thought that many words about the game since it ended.

Someone else beat Oregon, nothing else matters. Again.

If you can't see an Oregon fan wrote those words then I can't help you.
    To be fair I didn't read it.

So yeah but still.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

The Cuogs wrote a dynasty article after three ten win seasons in a row. Oregon just had nine ten win season in a row.

Yeah, it's safe to say I find nine wins unacceptable when you're the only program west of the Rockies that seems to care about football.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Mosster, come on man...

When you're diagnosed with terminal cancer, it usually means the life expectancy is 6-months or less.
    Full blown AIDS it is then, Mr. Terminal Cancer Superiority Guy.
  • Options
    wobidbuswobidbus Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 308
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is there anyone else in the Brooks-Bellotti-Kelly lineage that Oregon fans irrationally pine for as Slingblade's replacement--a green and yellow Tuiasosopo if you will?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    wobidbus said:

Is there anyone else in the Brooks-Bellotti-Kelly lineage that Oregon fans irrationally pine for as Slingblade's replacement--a green and yellow Tuiasosopo if you will?

I don't think so. Our main irrational hope is that somehow, someway, Chip comes back.
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

wobidbus said:

I don't think so. Our main irrational hope is that somehow, someway, Chip comes back.
    No one has ever actually wanted a long term staff guy. Bellotti was brought in from the outside for a few years. Everyone with on ounce of sense wanted Bellotti gone and Tedford to take over. Ted was the original Chip. Chip was of course an outside guy. Slingblade is an outsider too.

Other than Campbell those guys that have been there forever are replaceable. Greatwood was the D-Line coach until Zoumer retired. Then the next day he was the O-line coach.

People think that no upward trajectory forever means progress. Pellum showed why no one else ever wanted him.

Slingblade has at most two more years to win the conference and the powers that be will can everyone and start fresh.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    wobidbus said:

Bill Musgrave is tanned, ready and rested.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,233
    Founders Club
    TheGlove said:

wobidbus said:

Oh fucking please get that retarded OC out of Raider nation back to the ducks where he can properly fuck things up there. He's as bad as UW's fuctarded beaver with those bubble screens that worked 5 years ago in college
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

TheGlove said:

wobidbus said:

Oh fucking please get that retarded OC out of Raider nation back to the ducks where he can properly fuck things up there. He's as bad as UW's fuctarded beaver with those bubble screens that worked 5 years ago in college
    Helfrich is doing a good enough job of that already
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Mosster47 said:

AZDuck said:

By the end of year two there weren't two guys in the program that could snap the ball to the QB or throw a five yard slant? Pretty fucking pathetic.
    This. All the Tequilla analysis that has been thrown at that game isn't worth the shit I just took 5 minutes ago. That game was a coaching clinic film of the importance of the center and QB to an offense. If that - those two people - breaks, there aren't enough skill guys on the planet to overcome it.

Their D was a sieve last year. Yes. But they were playing well for quite a while in that game, and even a good defense, which again they weren't, will give eventually if they're on the field too long. And that's what happened. Period. End of story.

The center fiasco was not lethal as long as Vaj was in the game. As he showed in several games, including the nail biter at ASU, he was athletic enough to pick the ball up off the ground and still make something happen. Lockie simply wasn't. That little fucking problem on 98% of the snaps exceeded the margin of error you had with Lockie. It was too much for him ... it would be too much for even an average QB, and Lockie is well below that for D1a. I'm not sure how Browning would handle having to pick the ball up off the ground on every fucking snap.

Sure, that's all on the coach to have people who can do what needs to be done. But it also tells me, if they can fix that, the program is not in the death spiral that everyone imagines.

Frankly, it would be better if they were in a death spiral. That's when the boosters who give a shit come out and apply pressure. I don't think Knight is going to move to get Helfire fired if he continues to bring in 9 and 10 win seasons, even though he'll never get them to the pinnacle.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

Mosster47 said:

salemcoog said:

The Cuogs wrote a dynasty article after three ten win seasons in a row. Oregon just had nine ten win season in a row.

Yeah, it's safe to say I find nine wins unacceptable when you're the only program west of the Rockies that seems to care about football.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFyP9r4V1Bk
    One of the best kept secrets in the Pac 12: Beavers have as good an annoying-fan quotient as anybody in the conference. Just like somehow Nebraska has always had this reputation for a clean program and classy fan base, when in fact neither is true, people think of the OSU group as this harmless, well-adjusted group of Willamette Valley hillbillies that have a healthy perspective on things. The fuck they do.

I've been to cfb games in Columbus, Miami, Tally, Alabama, Norman, Seattle, Dallas, Eugene, Philly (don't ask), Boston and Knoxville. Obnoxiousness quotient winner, without competition, is Columbus. It's still like 1988 there. Eugene wasn't great either, but I've experienced worse. And two places I experienced worse were Corvallis, and Montlake when we? you? they? were playing the beavs. Mind you, this was when OSU was a perennial 1 win team, which makes it all the more spectacular. I have actually run into THAT guy. Closest I've come to getting into an actual scrap since junior high school, which frankly is stunning to me, was when THAT guy came into my fucking tailgate in the Montlake parking lot being THAT guy.

Fucking frat boys. Just a bundle of obnoxious.