Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington Football: Pleasant Surprises Emerge while Awaiting Tougher Competition

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2013 in Tug Tavern

imageWashington Football: Pleasant Surprises Emerge while Awaiting Tougher Competition

Derek Johnson talked with former Husky Kyle Benn about the pleasant aspects of Washington's 2-0 start, while awaiting the tougher part of the schedule.  

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    I'm glad Kyle sees improvment. He believes we're, "Like the old Husky defenses." Really? (Granted tackling is greatly improved.)

Unlike the Purple Reign defenses and other lockdown squads of the past, this team features a weak defensive line and blown coverages. IL has a weak running game and they managed to chew us up fairly well on the ground.

Maybe this will pass. I find it hard to believe it will......this year or next.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I guess I'm surprised to read or hear that other folks are surprised by how good a RB Bishop Sankey truly is. Unless I've lost track of time which is always possible, Sankey was a true freshman last season and still did pretty good running behind a very unknown OL. BSU was concerned about Sankey because of the 200+ all purpose yards he gained against them in Las Vegas, and yet the Broncos could do little to stop him two weeks ago. The expert commentator on the BTN telecast of the UW-Illini game at one point said something to the effect that Sankey wasn't flashy or a great RB, just good at getting the job done advancing the ball. Wow! How long can Bishop Sankey remain a secret weapon operating in anonymity? I think not long.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

I guess I'm surprised to read or hear that other folks are surprised by how good a RB Bishop Sankey truly is. Unless I've lost track of time which is always possible, Sankey was a true freshman last season and still did pretty good running behind a very unknown OL. BSU was concerned about Sankey because of the 200+ all purpose yards he gained against them in Las Vegas, and yet the Broncos could do little to stop him two weeks ago. The expert commentator on the BTN telecast of the UW-Illini game at one point said something to the effect that Sankey wasn't flashy or a great RB, just good at getting the job done advancing the ball. Wow! How long can Bishop Sankey remain a secret weapon operating in anonymity? I think not long.

Sankey wasn't a ture freshman last year. He was a Sophomore.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by Sankey. It was obvious what he could do last year when used correctly. The offense will put up 30ish points per game against pretty much anyone...the issue...once again...wait for it..... is the defense. Against decent pac-12 offenses this D will give up 30ish a game. Oregon will be in the 40's or 50's. The interior DL just isn't able to control the line of scrimmage and that puts too much pressure on the DBs against fast teams like Oregon and UCLA. Stanford will have their way with them.

The question is: will the offense be able keep up in high scoring games? And then there are always the games where everyone stays on the bus and a team like Arizona (2012) or Ore St (2011) that should be sure wins end up being embarrassing losses.

I still see this as a 7 win team. I don't think we need to play the "we won't know until they play team X to find out how good they are" game. We know. Above average to very good offense. average defense, average coaches...combined will yield a special average 2013 season.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited September 2013

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by Sankey. It was obvious what he could do last year when used correctly. The offense will put up 30ish points per game against pretty much anyone...the issue...once again...wait for it..... is the defense. Against decent pac-12 offenses this D will give up 30ish a game. Oregon will be in the 40's or 50's. The interior DL just isn't able to control the line of scrimmage and that puts too much pressure on the DBs against fast teams like Oregon and UCLA. Stanford will have their way with them.

The question is: will the offense be able keep up in high scoring games? And then there are always the games where everyone stays on the bus and a team like Arizona (2012) or Ore St (2011) that should be sure wins end up being embarrassing losses.

I still see this as a 7 win team. I don't think we need to play the "we won't know until they play team X to find out how good they are" game. We know. Above average to very good offense. average defense, average coaches...combined will yield a special average 2013 season.

Am I on the HHF? You feeling okay Damone? Three paragraphs of non-sarcastic, intelligible prose. What's your agenda? A special invite to return to doogman.com from Kim?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Am I on the HHF? You feeling okay Damone? Three paragraphs of non-sarcastic, intelligible prose. What's your agenda? A special invite to return to doogman.com from Kim?
    You you don't get me,or my agenda
  • Options

You you don't get me,or my agenda
    Too fast for me.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Wiser words will not be spoken about this 2013 Husky team.

Front page this. Stick a fork in it. And thanks Bronc4Blue.

• Options
    PhilBleenorPhilBleenor Member Posts: 54
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    I'll take Kyle's word over a bunch of classless motherfuckers hiding behind their computers. That's for sure.
  • Options

I'll take Kyle's word over a bunch of classless motherfuckers hiding behind their computers. That's for sure.

Thanks for that. Best compliment I have received today. Would I improve my odds if I left my mom's basement, or made my own PB&J?
  • Options

Damone is so right and the highlighted part is really correct. I was willing to let this year "play out" even though I knew Sark sucks. That Illinois game showed me this is a 7 win team.

We'll start off 4-0 but finish with 7-6. I expect the ASU game be a game everyone on here picks us to win and we get our asses kicked.

Then I see the Oregon State game being another typical Sark road game where we lose to an inferior opponent.

This season will play out like 2011.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    Founders Club

Damone is so right and the highlighted part is really correct. I was willing to let this year "play out" even though I knew Sark sucks. That Illinois game showed me this is a 7 win team.

We'll start off 4-0 but finish with 7-6. I expect the ASU game be a game everyone on here picks us to win and we get our asses kicked.

Then I see the Oregon State game being another typical Sark road game where we lose to an inferior opponent.

I don't see Arizona as a gimme. I could easily see us losing that game. And I've got the Huskies at 8-5 right now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2013

I don't see Arizona as a gimme. I could easily see us losing that game. And I've got the Huskies at 8-5 right now.
    Arizona is 50/50. So is OSU on the road. The only gimme is this week. I would say Colorado is a 81% win. Cal is a 69% win.

I don't see them winning 5 games in league. Oregon, Stanford, UCLA...that's 3 loses. ASU on the road is 75% a loss, maybe 71%. OSU and AZ are 50%. They will drop one of those two.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,084
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The season is over
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I love how after a good game its LIFPO, but after a mediocre win we can't LIFPO.

Arizona at home will be no problem. Win all the games you should plus OSU (who can't run the ball and has a terrible defense) thats 8 wins right there. Beat Stanford, ASU or UCLA and thats 9. Bowl game is 10.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I love how after a good game its LIFPO, but after a mediocre win we can't LIFPO.

Arizona at home will be no problem. Win all the games you should plus OSU (who can't run the ball and has a terrible defense) thats 8 wins right there. Beat Stanford, ASU or UCLA and thats 9. Bowl game is 10.

Great homer analysis as always.

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Bleaux me.

Should win 10, but bc of Sark if I had to bet I'd go with 9-4.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Bleaux me.

Should win 10, but bc of Sark if I had to bet I'd go with 9-4.
    We actually almost agree, except that I think it will be 8-5.

LIFPO though. Arizona is no gimmie.