Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Exodus at UCLA Continues

13»

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    When was the last time UCLA played for something, anything meaningful?
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    TTJ said:

You vastly overestimate UCLA football. They always have some players. But they lack any of the stuff that makes CFB programs great: Weak facilities, weak tradition, weak fans, weak boosters, weak salaries, weak expectations. They can't give seats away in "their" stadium. Mora is one of about four guys on campus who GAFs whether they win or lose.

I was surprised Mora took that job. But he reached UCLA's ceiling quickly, and I won't be surprised to see him win bigger someplace else.

Sorry doog it's not 1991 anymore. Most of this is out of date. Wasserman center, Fan attendance, salary pool. Look it up.

I think our fans/boosters/ad are committed to football just as much as anyone else in the p12, aside from SC and Oregon, right now.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2016

TTJ said:

You vastly overestimate UCLA football. They always have some players. But they lack any of the stuff that makes CFB programs great: Weak facilities, weak tradition, weak fans, weak boosters, weak salaries, weak expectations. They can't give seats away in "their" stadium. Mora is one of about four guys on campus who GAFs whether they win or lose.

I was surprised Mora took that job. But he reached UCLA's ceiling quickly, and I won't be surprised to see him win bigger someplace else.

Sorry doog it's not 1991 anymore. Most of this is out of date. Wasserman center, Fan attendance, salary pool. Look it up.

I think our fans/boosters/ad are committed to football just as much as anyone else in the p12, aside from SC and Oregon, right now.
    If that doesn't prove @TTJ's poont I don't know what could.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I'm not sure if there are any records of this or if we have any football historians in here who would remember but have there been any examples of pac 12 coaches going 5-4 in conference with 3 plungers in their 4th or 5th year with a team jumping ship for a "better job"? If so, how did they do? Genuinely curious, thanks.
  • Options

I'm not sure if there are any records of this or if we have any football historians in here who would remember but have there been any examples of pac 12 coaches going 5-4 in conference with 3 plungers in their 4th or 5th year with a team jumping ship for a "better job"? If so, how did they do? Genuinely curious, thanks.

Mike Reilly to Nebraska
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Again, for reasons that pass all human understanding, Mike Riley got the HC job in Nebraska after coaching Oregon State back to shittiness
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

Again, for reasons that pass all human understanding, Mike Riley got the HC job in Nebraska after coaching Oregon State back to shittiness
    EAT MY 53 SECONDS, DUCK!
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    dnc said:

TTJ said:

If it does then it goes for almost the entire conference.

He said we have terrible facilities > Wasseman center.

He said we can't give tickets away > we lead the Conf in attendance the past 2 years

He said we don't pay coaches > We lead the Conf in asst salary pool (though SC and Stanford info isn't public).

TTJs argument, like most things here, is stuck in 1991.
  • Options

dnc said:

TTJ said:

He said we can't give tickets away > we lead the Conf in attendance the past 2 years

He said we don't pay coaches > We lead the Conf in asst salary pool (though SC and Stanford info isn't public).

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

TTJ said:

Congratulations. UCLA is now almost* as serious about football as they rest of this unserious league.

* Admission standards, anyone?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

Mike Reilly to Nebraska
    But will TTJ be surprised when Riley doesn't win big at Nebraska?
  • Options

dnc said:

Mike Reilly to Nebraska
    But will TTJ be surprised when Riley doesn't win big at Nebraska?
    jeepers?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Mora leaving could be a good thing for UCLA. He upgraded the talent and expectations (to some degree). He just can't actually coach. His reputation is somehow much greater than what is deserved. He's from a football family and part of the good ol boy network.

The doogs who hate Mora are dumb, but he's an average coach.

I don't recall any of his teams going 7-6
    He just lost to a 5-7 team and hasn't made the conference title game since year one despite bringing in better talent, but still.
    Couldn't even finish ahead of Sark/Helton, I think that about covers it.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Senor Seven comes to mind.