Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Realistically, is there any chance that Smith gets fired this year?

There are so many coaching changes happening right now. In a perfect world, we take advantage of all of the turmoil this year and snag someone from another school.

I don't see him getting fired this year though. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,117
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Only outside shot is making Jsmith QB coach and hiring someone. Still don't know how we have a TE coach and no QB coach
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Since DDY has been branded our(?) Ecklund, I like our chances
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Judging by the way the offense has matured do you think he should be fired.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Judging by the way the offense has matured do you think he should be fired.

Judging by the way he fucked play calling against Cal, ASU, and Oregon, do you think we should keep him?
    Well shit Billy, what kind of blind bastard thinks either of those guys can ply WR? Our WR'$ suck hind titty. If either of the 2 could beat solid man coverage theyd be playing WR.

Now back to you degenerates. You dont need to get open to sack a qb. Daniels WOULD have been a 6-4 265lb sack happy buck instead of a seldom used h-b a ck type. Sark is to blame for that. Was too late when Pete got here, Daniels was already a soft TE with stone hands
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If anything, J-smeeth's WSU effort secured him another season. Regardless of whether the defense gifted him way too many opportunities, or it took him literally 12 games to figure out gaskin didn't have AIDS.

There is zero chance CP makes a change unless he somehow is found with a needle in his arm
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2015
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

Edit: sorry, can't get this to inbed for some reason today... i suck.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    SilkyJohnstonSilkyJohnston Member Posts: 67
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    From Jood: Two-year contracts for UW’s assistant coaches expire at the end of January, and Petersen said “we’re making progress” on new deals for the assistants.

He was asked if he expects any changes to his staff. “No,” he said, adding: “We evaluate everything at the end of the season and go from there.”

WE? ARE SO FUCKED
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2015
    Only hope is a complete failure in the bowl game offensively.

Even then he will only be demoted to QB coach.

Worst offense in the Pac 2 years running. The slowest 2 minute offense on the planet. The TD drive against Oregon that took like 6 minutes and wasted timeouts after letting clock run and down 2 possessions was criminal.

I've never hated a coach more than in that sequence.

The excuse for the lack of urgency was "we wanted to make sure we got the plays right", which basically meant "I can't think fast enough to beat anyone with a pulse".

Also, why aren't you taking the time to make sure the plays are right when there is no clock pressure?

Also, when FS Helfrich gifts another possession, he throws the greenest QB in there instead of the upperclassmen captain who can only do the one thing you need: rockets down the field. Cartas shitting of the bed the next week further shows how out of touch Smith is with his own personnel.

It's not a coincidence UW has lost every game in the Petersen/smith era with the ball and a chance to win at the end of the game.

That is purely on coaching. Something needs to change.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2015

It's a fucking country club. They will all just protect eachother and get eachother paid. That's what happens when you have a worthless administration with no expectations for success. FYFMFE.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If our WRs aren't very good, then it is the coach's fault for continuing to call plays that have a low probability of success given our WR skill level. That is 100% on the coaches.

A smart coach assesses the player skill level, and develops a game plan that maximizes our chances of getting first downs and points using those skills.

Our coaches instead, tried to get our players to learn their playbook -- which ignores the fact that they weren't good enough for those plays (for whatever reason) -- and the result is that our offense sucked all year -- except against the shittiest defenses or in a couple of cases where our defense handed us 5+ extra possessions per game and scored nearly half of our points.

Smith didn't improve as the Season went on, we just played some of the worst teams (or a team missing its starting QB) at the end of the season.

We absolutely need a new OC. Smith has had 2 seasons to show us he is the guy, and he has shown us that he IS NOT the guy.

I don't even want him retained as a QB coach. Has our QB play improved? I haven't seen it.

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    First half of the season was horrific on offense, no question. But I don't really GAF what happened a couple of months ago, as we all knew the offense was historically young and would have issues. The 2nd half of the season, however, here's the offensive numbers...

AZ - 468 yards, 49 points, +4 turnovers
    Utah - 381 yards, 23 points, -1 turnovers + Durkee botched punt
    ASU - 547 yards, 17 points, -4 turnovers
    OSU - 482 yards, 52 points, +2 turnovers
    WSU - 443 yards, 45 points, +6 turnovers

Yards from scrimmage is not the issue. We outgained every opponent. An average of 464 yards/game. Extrapolate over 12 games, it would be #27 in the country. Not great, but decent.

Moral of the facts? If we win the turnover battle, we win the game. And it's FS to pin turnovers on coaching.

We were way to slow to ditch the wild Swede, and playcalling has been too cute for my pallet, but the offensive production in the past 5 weeks has been pretty darn good, other the turnovers in a couple of games.

Long story short, fire Peterman and Babushka.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,997
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

There is a better chance of me two holing Michele Obama than Smiff getting canned.

So, like 50%?