Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Steph Curry

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
The dude is must see TV. By far the most exciting player in the game and has taken over Kevin Durant as the guy to take the crown from Lebron as best in league.

If he gets back to back MVP and titles it's going to be hard to argue for Lebron as the true #1.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    He just goes to show that the #1 skill in basketball is and always will be the ability to make shots.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He's the most exciting but hes not the alpha
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

He just goes to show that the #1 skill in basketball is and always will be the ability to make shots.

Great insight as always.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

He is until someone else knocks him off.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Warriors take the LOADED west then sweep the Heat. Enough said on that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

He is until someone else knocks him off.
    He's not there to be knocked off
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    Watching him the other night vs. Memphis was insane. He made them look like the Washington Generals.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2015

Watching him the other night vs. Memphis was insane. He made them look like the Washington Generals.

That's what i'm saying. He's playing at an entirely different level right now. He may not be the Alpha yet, but the gap is closing quickly. Small stature aside, he might be the most dangerous player in the league.

If you're captain of a pick up game you pick Lebron 1st, but the team that picks Curry will probably win. He's insane.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm sorry but Curry in a real pick up game would get shut down by any great defender.

I don't mean this as a put down to Curry but the NBAs rules allow him to be great. All credit to him because everyone plays by the same rules. But if defenders could get into his body on the perimeter, like they would in a pick up game, he wouldn't be that good.

A couple years ago the Warriors played the Clippers in a playoff series. One of the games came down to a last shot by the Warriors. Chris Paul got all up in Currys jersey because he knew they wouldn't call a foul and Curry barely got a shot off. That would be every possession of a pick up game.

Chris Paul, for all his faults, can always get a decent shot. Curry can't.
  • Options

I'm sorry but Curry in a real pick up game would get shut down by any great defender.

I don't mean this as a put down to Curry but the NBAs rules allow him to be great. All credit to him because everyone plays by the same rules. But if defenders could get into his body on the perimeter, like they would in a pick up game, he wouldn't be that good.

A couple years ago the Warriors played the Clippers in a playoff series. One of the games came down to a last shot by the Warriors. Chris Paul got all up in Currys jersey because he knew they wouldn't call a foul and Curry barely got a shot off. That would be every possession of a pick up game.

First, you have no idea what would happen in a pickup game. Purely speculative. Second, so if people can foul then he isn't as dangerous? Really? Third, 2015 Curry > 2013 Curry, rather easily.
  • Options
    This isn't practice and neither is it a pickup game. I'd probably take Lebron over Curry because of his defensive versatility and size, but it's crazy to use those arguments to make that case, like no shit fouling some dude makes it harder for him to score, lmao man.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Great insight as always.
    I could go on a TL, DR rant about why he's a better player than others in the "behind LBJ" pecking order if you'd prefer ...

But I do stand behind the comment that when you hear people talk about attributes of players in HS, college, and even entering the NBA, people don't often talk about a player's ability to shoot or flat out score. There's a skill in that. Granted, you can be a great shooter/scorer and if you are outmatched physically the NBA will expose that. But at the same time, if you are a truly great shooter, you'll be successful at the NBA level one way or another.
  • Options
    No question the game today isn't like it was 20-30 years ago where you could physically steer offensive players from a defensive standpoint. Likewise, offensive players aren't allowed to get physical with their defenders either. So citing physical play is an apples and oranges thing in my mind.

This fallacy that the game today is so soft is only because it is being compared against to the 90s when the physical play was at levels that are not consistent with the rules of the game and the league allowed to go way too far. If you go back and watch games from the 80s you'll often find that the number of touch fouls called were significantly greater than what is called today. The one thing that they did though during that time frame was at the end of games allowing bloodbaths to take place without taking over the game with the whistle (think early '81 Celtics vs Sixers Game 7 where the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter turned into a giant wrestling match).

Great players will be able to play against any kind of situation and come out the other side. You can't tell me guys in the past like Tiny Achribald or even a young Isaiah Thomas were physical beasts that excelled playing physical games in a time period where there was far more opportunities for bigger players to put a physical shot on smaller players with minimal repercussions (brawling was prevalent in the game in the 70s). Far more important to be mentally strong than physically strong if you're a guard in my mind anyway.

And BTW, the thing that will always translate with a shooter like Curry, Reggie Miller, etc. is the space that they create on the court. If you don't want to go out and guard them it doesn't matter how physical the game is.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

All this is true. However, the other thing that is much more lax in pickup games are dribbling rules. Curry has developed a sick handle, on the playground where he could carry all day long and team defense is unheard of he would be unstoppable. Especially when you consider his vision and passing skills and how lazy off ball playground defenders are. He wouldn't have to just sit outside and pop (SF)J's.

LeBron would be the best player on the playground because he's a physical monster, but Curry would be a close second.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

We aren't talking street ball here.

It will be fun to see Lebron lovers backpedal when Curry will have as many rings as Lebron this year in a third (or less) of the attempts.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    APAG likes hypotheticals.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    MisterEm said:

APAG likes hypotheticals.

All Lebron fans do.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Curry wasn't even the Finals MVP
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2015

Curry played within himself and took what the Cavs were giving them. Cavs chose to leave Iguadoloaa open all series and he delivered.

I'm surprised you of all people would put so much stock in a media award. The real hardware was won on the floor by Curry, not Lebron.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Curry played within himself and took what the Cavs were giving them. Cavs chose to leave Iguadoloaa open all series and he delivered.

I'm surprised you of all people would put so much stock in a media award. The real hardware was won on the floor by Curry, not Lebron.
    Doogles likes hypotheticals