Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Christ.

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Brassiere Hills, Alaska. Mollys Nipple, Utah. Outhouse Draw, Nevada. In the early twentieth century, it was common for towns and geographical features to have salacious, bawdy, and even derogatory names. In the age before political correctness, mapmakers readily accepted any local preference for place names, prizing accurate representation over standards of decorum. Thus, summits such as Squaw Tit—which towered above valleys in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and California—found their way into the cartographic annals. Later, when sanctions prohibited local use of racially, ethnically, and scatalogically offensive toponyms, town names like Jap Valley, California, were erased from the national and cultural map forever.

From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow probes this little-known chapter in American cartographic history by considering the intersecting efforts to computerize mapmaking, standardize geographic names, and respond to public concern over ethnically offensive appellations. Interweaving cartographic history with tales of politics and power, celebrated geographer Mark Monmonier locates his story within the past and present struggles of mapmakers to create an orderly process for naming that avoids confusion, preserves history, and serves different political aims. Anchored by a diverse selection of naming controversies—in the United States, Canada, Cyprus, Israel, Palestine, and Antarctica; on the ocean floor and the surface of the moon; and in other parts of our solar system—From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow richly reveals the map’s role as a mediated portrait of the cultural landscape. And unlike other books that consider place names, this is the first to reflect on both the real cartographic and political imbroglios they engender.

From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow is Mark Monmonier at his finest: a learned analysis of a timely and controversial subject rendered accessible—and even entertaining—to the general reader.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    All I want to know is who wins the NW championship if UW beats OSU and Cuog, and Oregon beats OSU.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We played a good game, but Arizona was straight up ass. Might have been our easiest opponent of the year so far.
  • Options
    skookumskookum Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I thought I was the last one:
    Swaye said:

I admit it. I never even turned the game on last night. First game this year I DGAF if I watched or not, and really never even thought about it. Wakeup this morning, fire up Netscape, come to this shithole and learn we played our best game in ages. FML.

• Options
    skookum said:

I thought I was the last one:

Swaye said:

I admit it. I never even turned the game on last night. First game this year I DGAF if I watched or not, and really never even thought about it. Wakeup this morning, fire up Netscape, come to this shithole and learn we played our best game in ages. FML.

I got in on their IPO. bought high. Sold low.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,562
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The only Stat that really matters is that big score board.....
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,155
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

We played a good game, but Arizona was straight up ass. Might have been our easiest opponent of the year so far.

I will say I am happy that for once an opponent was more out of sync because of weather in Seattle than we were
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,023
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Arizona was ass because we? beat the will out of them early by knocking the crap out of anyone with the ball, or anyone near the ball. Wasn't the greatest game ever, but holding any team 38 some points under their average is decent, no matter what.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,006
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I mean we've had at least one game like this since Sark got here. We might get to 5-4. Again

Winning beats losing every time but it is pretty meaningless unless it is the start of something and we look back on.

It's still November 1 and we've been out of the race for a couple weeks

This is your problem, not Petersen's. You guys have too much baggage. You are like the beaten wife that's now divorced and can't date anyone because she flinches anytime someone touches her.

The negative side is every bit as stupid and annoying as the doogs are right now.
    I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

or, whooooooooooooooooooooooosh.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    phineas said:

let me guess, washington is BACK despite the fact we played the shittiest team on the schedule so far

you can still enjoy a win without saying Washington is "back." HTH
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary