Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Great story about why coaching matters

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,438
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited October 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
about great coaching

First-year Florida coach Urban Meyer had shed tears in his postgame press conference at LSU after his team couldn't cross its own 30-yard line in four fourth-quarter possessions. In the Gators' 2005 losses to Alabama and LSU, the vaunted spread option Meyer had brought from Utah had flopped. It had become obvious he didn't have the players he needed to run it.

So, during the bye week between the LSU game and the meeting with fourth-ranked Georgia, Meyer tossed most of his offense. He reinstated the fullback position that he had eliminated upon his arrival, moving a former walk-on named Billy Latsko back to offense from linebacker and creating a folk hero in the process. Meyer cribbed plays from Arkansas, which had lost by three at Georgia a week before the Gators and Bulldogs met. Meyer also put in plays that looked shockingly similar to ones Florida had run under coordinator Larry Fedora in 2004.

Georgia still likely would have won had quarterback D.J. Shockley been healthy, but with backup Joe Tereshinski starting, the Gators stood a chance. The Bulldogs' defense looked stunned by an offense that didn't resemble anything Florida had run all season. The Gators scored touchdowns on their first two possessions. They never scored again, but their defense held fast. Florida's 14–10 win was probably the most important of Meyer's tenure in Gainesville. To this day, I have never seen a coaching staff happier about a win—and that includes every national title game I've covered. It proved Meyer could adjust his offense to work against the best of the SEC, and the preparation for that game laid the foundation for the offense the Gators would use while winning the national title in 2006.

"Is that what we want to become? No," Meyer said a day after beating Georgia. "Do we want to win games? Yes. That was the decision made. We had to win that game. I'm comfortable with winning."

Comments

• Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Respect the Myer, brah
  • Options
    Stinky_HankeyStinky_Hankey Member Posts: 82
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    Dwayne Warshington couldbe our Billy Latsko. Put him in the backfield as a pseudo Fullback, along with Gaskin at Halfback.

DWash + Gaskin = Profit.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,611
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    His quote is what gives my sweats a simultaneous tightening and deflation. What does it say about Pete/Smith when they won't pound the rock 2:1 until it doesn't work anymore? Is it the balance he ultimately wants in the end? No. Will running a run heavy, option centric offense help us win this year? Maybe. Can't be any worse than the fucked up balanced attack featured at the moment.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,735
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Neat little story but its not like Florida was in the middle of a HUUUGE REBUILDING YEAR in 2005.

They were favored by 4 in that game. They won by 4. Not because of the offense- the offense sucked balls. It was one of the worst games of the year for an offense that averaged 27 points against power 5 conference teams.

They won because they held Georgia to 4.5 yards per play and Georgia missed two field goals.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,536
    Standard Supporter
    Good points but....NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR VEGAS TALK!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!

Neat little story but its not like Florida was in the middle of a HUUUGE REBUILDING YEAR in 2005.

They were favored by 4 in that game. They won by 4. Not because of the offense- the offense sucked balls. It was one of the worst games of the year for an offense that averaged 27 points against power 5 conference teams.

They won because they held Georgia to 4.5 yards per play and Georgia missed two field goals.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,536
    Standard Supporter
    I don't really care if he's flexible or inflexible though, as long as they score more points. Run the same play over and over if they have to....the ends justifies the means.

One other thing, for as much as people like to criticize Petersen's last year at BSU in 2013, I think his offense was actually 17th in the nation in points per game.

This is the type of shit that has me extremely concerned about Petersen. A coach can still run a tough, discipline program and still be flexible at the same time.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

I don't really care if he's flexible or inflexible though, as long as they score more points. Run the same play over and over if they have to....the ends justifies the means.

One other thing, for as much as people like to criticize Petersen's last year at BSU in 2013, I think his offense was actually 17th in the nation in points per game.

This is the type of shit that has me extremely concerned about Petersen. A coach can still run a tough, discipline program and still be flexible at the same time.

They were terrible against the only real team they played all year. If they were good, the OC would have came over. That was an underachieving offense that came to Husky Stadium.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,735
    HFNY said:

Adjusted for their opponents that offense was very mediocre.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

HFNY said:

They were terrible against the only real team they played all year. If they were good, the OC would have came over. That was an underachieving offense that came to Husky Stadium.
    Didn't the OC become the head coach?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:

HFNY said:

No. Harsin was long gone by then.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Passion said:

HFNY said:

Harsin was the OC under Mack Brown for a year at Texas, then he GTFO and did a year at Arky State after Malzahn took the Auburn job, and then Boise opened up when Peterman went to UW
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It's amusing to me that some HHB posters can't separate what happened 10, 20 or 30 years ago with today. Different players, different coaches, different administrators, different college football environment. UW football is not entitled to anything based on what has happened in the distant past.

I'm no spring chicken, and I was at UW for a good chunk of the glory years. But WTF does that have to do with our situation today? Nothing.

@HeretoBeatmyChest has been doing yeoman's work putting things in perspective. Losing sucks. I agree and get it. But clicking your heels and demanding "win or GTFO" because we were dominant 25 years ago is bullshit.

LIPO, you impetulant fucks. Oh, and fire Smith today.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Who the fuck said anything about entitlement or 30 years ago

I'm talking about now and you win by putting the work and brains in not by making pissant excuses for losers.

Fuck perspective

Perspective would have had Meyer say I need time to get players for my system so someday we can win you know maybe but its hard and shit

Instead
    "Is that what we want to become? No," Meyer said a day after beating Georgia. "Do we want to win games? Yes. That was the decision made. We had to win that game. I'm comfortable with winning."

They HAD to win.

The last time that was the mantra at UW is fucking too long ago to remember.

instead we you doogs and your fucking loser excuses

Give me a couple hours and I'll join you.

• Options
    Maybe if CP just wanted to win as much as Meyer, we'd be all good.
  • Options

HuskyInAZ said:

It's amusing to me that some HHB posters can't separate what happened 10, 20 or 30 years ago with today. Different players, different coaches, different administrators, different college football environment. UW football is not entitled to anything based on what has happened in the distant past.

I'm no spring chicken, and I was at UW for a good chunk of the glory years. But WTF does that have to do with our situation today? Nothing.

@HeretoBeatmyChest has been doing yeoman's work putting things in perspective. Losing sucks. I agree and get it. But clicking your heels and demanding "win or GTFO" because we were dominant 25 years ago is bullshit.

LIPO, you impetulant fucks. Oh, and fire Smith today.

Who the fuck said anything about entitlement or 30 years ago

I'm talking about now and you win by putting the work and brains in not by making pissant excuses for losers.

Fuck perspective

Perspective would have had Meyer say I need time to get players for my system so someday we can win you know maybe but its hard and shit

Instead

They HAD to win.

The last time that was the mantra at UW is fucking too long ago to remember.

instead we you doogs and your fucking loser excuses
    Not living in the past?