Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

You noyds ready for the tired bored cliche? Some *perspective*

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

wobidbus said:

The announcers last night kept mentioning how Hogan is successful in Stanford's "complicated offense relative to the rest of CFB", which made me think about two things:

1) Is the Smuth/Petermun offense similar in that more experienced players would be able to execute properly?
    2) Does the route to success really require lighting two seasons on fire in order to reap rewards down the line?

Petersen is playing a high stakes game by basically throwing these first two seasons out the window in hopes of getting the offense kicked into high gear in year fucking three or four. I survived the last 15 years of bullshit, but another two seems like an eternity. Fuck me.

If he's throwing away games and seasons, then he should be fired. These players are here for 3-5 years. Ruining at least 2 of those seasons for them is criminal. Fuck his system and process. Do whatever it takes to win NOW. By constantly laying giant turds on the field, you are breaking down the morale of the team.

Pretty soon, you'll have players you want to keep selling their couches. On top of that, recruiting is going to take a hit sooner rather than later.

Petersen knows this program has been in the shitter well over a decade now and continuing to lose is going to further damage any effort to rebuild. Continuing to have losing streaks against conference rivals really takes its toll.
    How is he throwing away games and seasons? Is he deliberately not running something that would be a better offense this year, in favor of something the next few years? I don't think any of us have any fucking clue but I'd love to get an answer. Do you think he's not playing the best guys in favor of future seasons? Doesn't seem to be the case with all the freshman starters on offense.

The morale of the team is fine. They've come back from three 16-17 point deficits with the ball and a chance to win each one. They could have quit yesterday knowing they had no chance to win.

Recruiting is going fine. Better play on the field is needed to enhance it though. Pete's recruits aren't selling their couches and never will.
    I said "if he is throwing away games and seasons". CP is a competitor and I'm sure he wants to win. But, I just don't understand the inconsistency in the offensive play-calling. He and Smith seem to shy away from handing the ball off to Gaskin more than 18 times. It's not like Gaskin is taking a lot of big hits. He's a slippery runner and mostly avoid contact at the line. It's not like he's a Marshawn Lynch type who seeks contact and exposes himself to big hits and risks injury.

It's not lost on me that the QB situation is shit. So, I don't understand why they don't commit to run the ball more? Is Petersen going to just bang away at running his system until he has the perfect players to make it work?
    random play generator
    It is a virtual statistical impossibility that enough consecutive runs were called for Gaskin to score multiple TDs. We are literally the luckiest team in the world.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited October 2015
    I think people said the exact same thing last year.

Just wait until we don't have to start Miley anymore.

Name the three players on offense who look improved from last year
    Well I'm waiting @PostGameOrangeSlices
    Jesus

I'm pretty sure everyone here was pessimistic about the QB situation before the season.

Yeah, it was great to no longer have an injured Miles throwing the ball 10 yards short on a 15 yard out route, but it was Lindy Ragnargaard and some unproven freshman that we were left with.

Even with the pessimism, our QB's suck this season, and I think at least some if it has to do with youth. The thing that makes me optimistic regarding Browning is how pissed off he was after the loss to Boise State. Give him another year and 15 lbs of weight and I believe he will be much improved, if he's not hamstrung by the playcalling.

Maybe Smith is a genius that has been given terrible quarterbacking. Who knows, these are all hypotheticals I'm dealing in.

Three players on offense:

1. Gaskin
    2. Adams
    3. Perkins
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I'm not optimistic enough to think that Petersen is going to magically unfuck himself in 2016.

Neither am I, but if the offense can get 2 more TDs a game it will be a 10 win team
    You say that so casually. Going from 24 PPG to 38 PPG is a massive improvement. You can bet your ass it's the kind of improvement Jimmy Smith is not capable of.
    Sac State skews the numbers. We are averaging like 18 ppg against real teams.

That said, 2 tds might be pushing it. Even a td more from the offense each game and we are a 1 loss team right now
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    wobidbus said:

The announcers last night kept mentioning how Hogan is successful in Stanford's "complicated offense relative to the rest of CFB", which made me think about two things:

1) Is the Smuth/Petermun offense similar in that more experienced players would be able to execute properly?
    2) Does the route to success really require lighting two seasons on fire in order to reap rewards down the line?

Petersen is playing a high stakes game by basically throwing these first two seasons out the window in hopes of getting the offense kicked into high gear in year fucking three or four. I survived the last 15 years of bullshit, but another two seems like an eternity. Fuck me.

Hi. Sark just bought Peterman an extra two years. Now the BOR is saying how terrible Sark must have been an Coach Peterman is a Savior for taking the job following such a shit show.