Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

You noyds ready for the tired bored cliche? Some *perspective*

PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited October 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
We suck.

I get it.

I have an irrational hatred for watching *us* lose football games, especially in the manner in which we lose them. A program with the advantages that WASHINGTON has should not be losing to Oregon, Furd, fucking Arizona State, or any team with a pulse on a consistent basis. Similar to how @EsophagealFeces so eloquently put it in his article, friends and family don't understand why I get so angry watching these stupid fucking football games. My girlfriend will make a snide comment every once and a while, then fucking Vanilla Ice scores a 50 yard TD to put Stanford up 24-7, she sees the crazed look in my eyes, and she goes back to the kitchen.

Why do I care so much and continue watching? Probably because I'm an Uncle Rico type that didn't want to hang up the cleats. Or a glutton for punishment. Or something. Fuck off.

I can't even miss WASHINGTON, damnit, because I never really knew what it was. Wilcox's magical 9 win season is the apex of my Huskeiie fandom.

Anyways, after digesting another dismal performance by the lads in The Black and the White, I'm trying to find some positive, any positive, in this abortion of a program. There aren't many, but here they are:

The team is young. Yes, I get that is a tired phrase around here, but it's true. Outside of Tupou, King, and Feeney, every single player on this football team that is worth anything is a sophomore or freshman. Azeem is a fucking stud...sophomore. Bierria and Baker are good too, as is Greg Gaines and Gardenhire. Gaskin? Freshman. The o-line is decent and the majority of them are underclassmen. Pettis and Lenius should have both redshirted and should not be starting, but they have both made plays and have two more seasons to play.

If this was a Sark coached team playing almost exclusively underclassmen, we would be losing by 40 points each and every week.

Outside of the Stanford game (and let's face it, Stanford is pretty good) this team has been competitive in every single game against teams that are much more experienced. Despite questionable coaching, ridiculous play calling, and first half ineptitude, they have hung in there and fought to get back into games. It's kind of refreshing to watch a team scratch and claw to get back into the game rather than lay down and die. Against Boise, Cal, and Oregon, I thought we were gonna get plungered, but they never gave up and made things interesting.

The fact that this team is competitive while being young is encouraging. If this were a team of 5th year seniors a meteor should hit Alaska Airlines Field at Willingham Stadium. But it's not.

Peterman gets 1 more year to right this ship.

Next year, everyone is back at almost every position. Minus Two Wins Mickens is gone. Two Wins Ross is back. Some good recruits are coming in. If this offense still resembles a D2 team, the wars over, we will never finish higher than 6th in the Pac-12 ever again.

First in the North in 2016 or bust.

Thanks fer readin'.

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club

I'm not optimistic enough to think that Petersen is going to magically unfuck himself in 2016.

Neither am I, but if the offense can get 2 more TDs a game it will be a 10 win team
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

I'm not optimistic enough to think that Petersen is going to magically unfuck himself in 2016.

Neither am I, but if the offense can get 2 more TDs a game it will be a 10 win team
    I don't know how UW football hasn't beaten this into you fucktards but If it's not the offense it will just be something else
    There is no reason to assume the defense or special teams will get worse, and the offense can't really get any worse.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2015

Houhusky said:

I don't know how UW football hasn't beaten this into you fucktards but If it's not the offense it will just be something else
    There is no reason to assume the defense or special teams will get worse, and the offense can't really get any worse.
    I think people said the exact same thing last year.

Just wait until we don't have to start Miley anymore.

Name the three players on offense who look improved from last year
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Two questions.

1. What is the Washington advantage in 2015 after 20ish years of being a fucking loser? The UW BOR could give a fuck about the failing football program

2. Concerning the perpetual youth excuse. How did OSU (13) and the Tide (16) compete, and win the natty, with so many freshmen diaper-dandies in the two deeps?

TIA
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

I think people said the exact same thing last year.

Just wait until we don't have to start Miley anymore.

Name the three players on offense who look improved from last year
    Well I'm waiting @PostGameOrangeSlices
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sounds like you deal in hypotheticals.
  • Options
    wobidbuswobidbus Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 308
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The announcers last night kept mentioning how Hogan is successful in Stanford's "complicated offense relative to the rest of CFB", which made me think about two things:

1) Is the Smuth/Petermun offense similar in that more experienced players would be able to execute properly?
    2) Does the route to success really require lighting two seasons on fire in order to reap rewards down the line?

Petersen is playing a high stakes game by basically throwing these first two seasons out the window in hopes of getting the offense kicked into high gear in year fucking three or four. I survived the last 15 years of bullshit, but another two seems like an eternity. Fuck me.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Great post I feel it. But you and the rest of this bored know deep down that we are going to suck ass again next year, the year after that, the year after that, and obviously the year after we get a new head coach.

My cousin in NY had a friend who went his whole life making the wrong decisions. Then one day he started doing the complete opposite of everything he would normally do. Lo and behold his shit started working out wonderfully once he started completely ignoring every urge to its common sense and good judgment he had ever had. This is no crazy notion; I believe this is becoming our new religion and the identity of our team.

Now will it work out in the grand scheme of things? I believe even @GrandpaSankey has seen how this one plays out.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

You say that so casually. Going from 24 PPG to 38 PPG is a massive improvement. You can bet your ass it's the kind of improvement Jimmy Smith is not capable of.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

wobidbus said:

The announcers last night kept mentioning how Hogan is successful in Stanford's "complicated offense relative to the rest of CFB", which made me think about two things:

1) Is the Smuth/Petermun offense similar in that more experienced players would be able to execute properly?
    2) Does the route to success really require lighting two seasons on fire in order to reap rewards down the line?

Petersen is playing a high stakes game by basically throwing these first two seasons out the window in hopes of getting the offense kicked into high gear in year fucking three or four. I survived the last 15 years of bullshit, but another two seems like an eternity. Fuck me.

If he's throwing away games and seasons, then he should be fired. These players are here for 3-5 years. Ruining at least 2 of those seasons for them is criminal. Fuck his system and process. Do whatever it takes to win NOW. By constantly laying giant turds on the field, you are breaking down the morale of the team.

Pretty soon, you'll have players you want to keep selling their couches. On top of that, recruiting is going to take a hit sooner rather than later.

Petersen knows this program has been in the shitter well over a decade now and continuing to lose is going to further damage any effort to rebuild. Continuing to have losing streaks against conference rivals really takes its toll.
    How is he throwing away games and seasons? Is he deliberately not running something that would be a better offense this year, in favor of something the next few years? I don't think any of us have any fucking clue but I'd love to get an answer. Do you think he's not playing the best guys in favor of future seasons? Doesn't seem to be the case with all the freshman starters on offense.

The morale of the team is fine. They've come back from three 16-17 point deficits with the ball and a chance to win each one. They could have quit yesterday knowing they had no chance to win.

Recruiting is going fine. Better play on the field is needed to enhance it though. Pete's recruits aren't selling their couches and never will.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

wobidbus said:

If he's throwing away games and seasons, then he should be fired. These players are here for 3-5 years. Ruining at least 2 of those seasons for them is criminal. Fuck his system and process. Do whatever it takes to win NOW. By constantly laying giant turds on the field, you are breaking down the morale of the team.

Pretty soon, you'll have players you want to keep selling their couches. On top of that, recruiting is going to take a hit sooner rather than later.

Petersen knows this program has been in the shitter well over a decade now and continuing to lose is going to further damage any effort to rebuild. Continuing to have losing streaks against conference rivals really takes its toll.
    How is he throwing away games and seasons? Is he deliberately not running something that would be a better offense this year, in favor of something the next few years? I don't think any of us have any fucking clue but I'd love to get an answer. Do you think he's not playing the best guys in favor of future seasons? Doesn't seem to be the case with all the freshman starters on offense.

The morale of the team is fine. They've come back from three 16-17 point deficits with the ball and a chance to win each one. They could have quit yesterday knowing they had no chance to win.

Recruiting is going fine. Better play on the field is needed to enhance it though. Pete's recruits aren't selling their couches and never will.
    I said "if he is throwing away games and seasons". CP is a competitor and I'm sure he wants to win. But, I just don't understand the inconsistency in the offensive play-calling. He and Smith seem to shy away from handing the ball off to Gaskin more than 18 times. It's not like Gaskin is taking a lot of big hits. He's a slippery runner and mostly avoid contact at the line. It's not like he's a Marshawn Lynch type who seeks contact and exposes himself to big hits and risks injury.

It's not lost on me that the QB situation is shit. So, I don't understand why they don't commit to run the ball more? Is Petersen going to just bang away at running his system until he has the perfect players to make it work?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MisterEm said:

Two questions.

1. What is the Washington advantage in 2015 after 20ish years of being a fucking loser? The UW BOR could give a fuck about the failing football program

2. Concerning the perpetual youth excuse. How did OSU (13) and the Tide (16) compete, and win the natty, with so many freshmen diaper-dandies in the two deeps?

TIA

This is what I hate. Telling everyone that the team is young sets too low of a bar on these *young* players. Youth/Process/Built for Life should not be the message to this team. The message should be that the conference is, and almost always is, there for the taking no matter what, and that WINNING builds you for life.

My biggest problem with this staff.
  • Options

wobidbus said:

I said "if he is throwing away games and seasons". CP is a competitor and I'm sure he wants to win. But, I just don't understand the inconsistency in the offensive play-calling. He and Smith seem to shy away from handing the ball off to Gaskin more than 18 times. It's not like Gaskin is taking a lot of big hits. He's a slippery runner and mostly avoid contact at the line. It's not like he's a Marshawn Lynch type who seeks contact and exposes himself to big hits and risks injury.

It's not lost on me that the QB situation is shit. So, I don't understand why they don't commit to run the ball more? Is Petersen going to just bang away at running his system until he has the perfect players to make it work?
    random play generator