Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jonathan Smith

Comments

• Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    topdawgnc said:

Who the fuck cares?

Smith is a fucking intern.

Peterman is the problem.

And because Woody knows nothing about football, so Peterman has no need to change.

He is trying to prove his "system" works ... and UW is the fucking petri dish.

Fucking this.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    This fucking, too.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tie a cement rock to the foot and throw him off Alcatraz on the way home ...

If Petersen needs any more proof to fire this clown, the first half + first drive of the second half should have broke the camel's back ...

Enough said on that and this game ...

I've been saying for a while that Smith (and Pease) should be fired at end of season ... failure to do so by Petersen puts it on him and would be a fireable event in my mind

Agree!
    Thank you for bumping shit that I said that was 100% accurate ... I should go on a Puppy style rant about how I'm so right so often (#sarkasm) ...

But there was no question that the WRs weren't getting better and Pease had to go ... he went.

Smith did just enough the last handful of games of the year to get the definitive "prove it" year. Personally, I would have looked around and seen if I could have found a better fit behind closed doors and if so would have made the move. But I don't think it is indefensible to give Smith another crack with a more experienced team and not risk setting back some still young players with a new playbook and system in Year #2.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The tension between pod staffs is escalating. I love it. But the attacking group does appear to be a bit desperate.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Houhusky said:

@Tequilla Oct 2015 - "I've been saying for a while that Smith (and Pease) should be fired at end of season ... failure to do so by Petersen puts it on him and would be a fireable event in my mind"

@Tequilla Feb 2016 - "But I don't think it is indefensible to give Smith another crack with a more experienced team and not risk setting back some still young players with a new playbook and system in Year #2."

I like to say that Petersen should be fired if he doesnt get rid of Smith and then say its not indefensible to give Smith another season... that is what I like to do.

What changed? Other than the 2nd half of the season, nothing. But changing opinion based on demonstrated improvement in performance is an executable offense.

Regardless, @Tequilla was right. Who GAF what happened on the field over the 2nd half of the year. Petersen should be fired based on the fact that he retained Smith. Right?

Give it a fucking rest.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2016
    HuskyInAZ said:

Houhusky said:

@Tequilla Oct 2015 - "I've been saying for a while that Smith (and Pease) should be fired at end of season ... failure to do so by Petersen puts it on him and would be a fireable event in my mind"

@Tequilla Feb 2016 - "But I don't think it is indefensible to give Smith another crack with a more experienced team and not risk setting back some still young players with a new playbook and system in Year #2."

I like to say that Petersen should be fired if he doesnt get rid of Smith and then say its not indefensible to give Smith another season... that is what I like to do.

What changed? Other than the 2nd half of the season, nothing. But changing opinion based on demonstrated improvement in performance playing worse teams is an executable offense.
    FTFY

"Tie a cement rock to the foot and throw him off [Smith] Alcatraz on the way home" to "Smith did just enough" because UW beat up on some of the worst defensive teams in the country to finish out the season.

You act like it was a surprise UW finished out the season against WSU, OSU, and some shit tier bowl team.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

I like to take shit out of context and forget to put this part in front of a Feb 2016 comment because including it destroys my entire argument ... but that's what I like to do if my name is HouHuskyFS

Personally, I would have looked around and seen if I could have found a better fit behind closed doors and if so would have made the move.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

I like to take shit out of context and forget to put this part in front of a Feb 2016 comment because including it destroys my entire argument ... but that's what I like to do if my name is HouHuskyFS

Personally, I would have looked around and seen if I could have found a better fit behind closed doors and if so would have made the move.
    you act like teams like Middle Tennessee State, Appalachian State, Temple, Air Force, Idaho, Georgia Southern, Marshall, San Jose State, Minnesota, Utah State, or Toledo (along with 75+ other teams) didnt field significantly better offenses than Smith and Petersen did.

Just so we are clear, are you rolling out the "BUT WHO ELSE WOULD WE HIRE??!" doog argument or the "BUT EVERYONE ELSE HAS A CONTRACT??!" doog argument

With how often you spend lowering the basket and defending Romar Im surprised you have all this time to move the goal posts too. I guess its easy when you just recycle the same arguments.
  • Options
    @Houhusky you're a certifiable idiot in trying to read shit into what I say that I haven't said.

I've been on record numerous times as saying that I personally would have replaced Smith. After the season, I would have gone through my short list of contacts for replacements (which if we're being honest everybody has at hand) to gauge interest. I would have considered the pluses of making the move versus the negatives. If I got the right person in place and liked the fit, I would have made the move. I'm not sure what is so difficult for you to understand in that.

That being said, Petersen either decided that Smith needed another year to prove it to him or he wasn't particularly thrilled with some element of making a change whether it was he wasn't able to get the OC that he wanted, the disruption to the offense of learning a new offense when so many of them just spent a year trying to learn the current offense, etc.

I don't think it's indefensible for Petersen to make the decision that he made. He has his reasons and given what he's done so far in 2 years here he deserves the benefit of the doubt (and yes, the positives are way more than the negatives). I do think he has sent a message by giving Smith a 1 year deal while everybody else has a 2 year deal. If I was Petersen's superior in such a situation and this was his stance, I would have no problem conceding the point to Petersen provided that we established clear objectives about what expectations were for the following year. Who knows whether or not someone in the AD had such a conversation with Pete or not, but I'd be shocked if Pete didn't have a similar type of conversation with Smith.

And while I seriously doubt that the decision to retain Smith came down to this and only this, given what I consider to be some decent revenue shortcomings in the Athletic Department, it wouldn't shock me if the $$$ were tight and at least played some kind of ancillary role in the decision. If they weren't, then I do think that there'd be a greater chance that you'd actually be seeing a legit AD search instead of the defaulting to Jen Cohen.
  • Options
    Gilby was a disaster because of the timing of Slick getting fired. I get what they were trying to do but that was just the flat out wrong call. But Babs was pretty much in retirement mode anyway so whatever.

Woodward got the job after a fairly lengthy search. Can debate on how legit the search was but there was a search.

Cauce was interim president for about 7 months I believe. Reports show that there was a decent search process conducted and a number of candidates contacted.

I'm 81% sure that Cohen's getting the job because they don't want to pay for a top level AD given the current AD budget issues.

Stadium Default is all dependent on how shitty the AD gets run and whether Pete can't get the job done. I don't think it will ever get to that point.

If there's a criticism to give of the UW in this regards, it's that it often acts like it is interested in outside voices but defaults to those that know the status quo. But then again, with some of the recent hires that they've made from the outside, the results have been fairly piss poor.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Tie a cement rock to the foot and throw him off Alcatraz on the way home ...

If Petersen needs any more proof to fire this clown, the first half + first drive of the second half should have broke the camel's back ...

Enough said on that and this game ...

I've been saying for a while that Smith (and Pease) should be fired at end of season ... failure to do so by Petersen puts it on him and would be a fireable event in my mind

Agree!
    You had to edit that?
    Yes. I fucked up the quote.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    Swaye's Wigwam

HuskyInAZ said:

The tension between pod staffs is escalating. I love it. But the attacking group does appear to be a bit desperate.

Yeah, because I was a huge fan of Tequilla's before his podcast.
    Whoevers side you're on, it's fun to watch.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Tequilla said:

@Houhusky you're a certifiable idiot in trying to read shit into what I say that I haven't said.

I've been on record numerous times as saying that I personally would have replaced Smith. After the season, I would have gone through my short list of contacts for replacements (which if we're being honest everybody has at hand) to gauge interest. I would have considered the pluses of making the move versus the negatives. If I got the right person in place and liked the fit, I would have made the move. I'm not sure what is so difficult for you to understand in that.

That being said, Petersen either decided that Smith needed another year to prove it to him or he wasn't particularly thrilled with some element of making a change whether it was he wasn't able to get the OC that he wanted, the disruption to the offense of learning a new offense when so many of them just spent a year trying to learn the current offense, etc.

I don't think it's indefensible for Petersen to make the decision that he made. He has his reasons and given what he's done so far in 2 years here he deserves the benefit of the doubt (and yes, the positives are way more than the negatives). I do think he has sent a message by giving Smith a 1 year deal while everybody else has a 2 year deal. If I was Petersen's superior in such a situation and this was his stance, I would have no problem conceding the point to Petersen provided that we established clear objectives about what expectations were for the following year. Who knows whether or not someone in the AD had such a conversation with Pete or not, but I'd be shocked if Pete didn't have a similar type of conversation with Smith.

And while I seriously doubt that the decision to retain Smith came down to this and only this, given what I consider to be some decent revenue shortcomings in the Athletic Department, it wouldn't shock me if the $$$ were tight and at least played some kind of ancillary role in the decision. If they weren't, then I do think that there'd be a greater chance that you'd actually be seeing a legit AD search instead of the defaulting to Jen Cohen.

• Options

HuskyInAZ said:

Yeah, because I was a huge fan of Tequilla's before his podcast.
    Feeling is mutual